Earwig?

7 replies to this topic

#1 Melanie

Melanie

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 45 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 10:25 AM

Sorry if this has been covered before and if there is another thread for minor questions, please move this text.

When the guy with the machete notices Bond, while he is kissing Vesper. What's that in his ear. It think the English term is earwig. And what's the purpose? I was initially thinking it might be to hear the sound of the GPS tracking thing on Le Chiffre, but you actually don't need sound for that. So what was it?

We went to the 3:30pm screening yesterday and I am still impressed. This isn't just a Bond movie, it is a brilliant movie. Best film I have seen this year. I am not going to write a review now, just to say that Daniel Craig is bloody talented. And eye candy. And his Bond is raw and finally behaves like a government mofu, a ruthless killer, but at the same time the human and vulnerable side. No lasers, no over-the-top gadgets was a nice and pleasant change. Just good ol' fighting and skills. Bring on Bond22. And the DVD. With the English audio. German dubbing was OK, but not perfect. Funny thing though there were only 10 other people in the theater with 400 seats. It was diffrent, without the loud audience reactions, but fun. Like a private screening. Only time I hear somebody talking in the last row was when Vesper leaves James at the table and a female voice said: "Now you stay and finish eating." Heh. I guess we all squirmed at the torture scene, and the joke there got the loudest laugh, were you actually noticed there are other people in the room besides you. Having read some spoilers I was worried, that I'd not be surprised anymore. Knew the end of Vesper, because I have read the original novel. I like that this wasn't your typical Hollywood ending, where everybody lives happily ever after. But kind of an open end, even though Mr. White will probably not make an appearance again, will he? The action sequences are fantastic. I would have never thought, that he himself tries CPR, but expected some hotel doc. That was a twist, as well as a bunch of other things. I can't say I have understood everything, like Mathis, but I'll return this WE to read those topics and I am sure all my questions have been covered already, like who bailed him out, after Miami police had arrested him? Or what happened to Carter? Was he a MI6 agent? I was expecting him to be poisened by the snake, whatever happened to the animals?

BTW the print was a little on the bad side with dust and markers, but didn't deminish the experience. Nobody complained, the state-of-the art theater complex goofed up anyway. During the trailer for Deja-Vu with Denzel Washington the picture got all blurry and the projection stopped. I am guessing whoever was handling it, never fixed it properly. The B&W opening was very grainy, color got better, but never really improved to full digital glory I am used to at this theater.

How did you all like the four German actors? Mendel, Villiers (did he have any lines in the script?) Gr

#2 Mr.Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

Mr.Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 211 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 12:56 PM

No joking, it was really dubbed in German!? :)

#3 PlayItBogart

PlayItBogart

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 263 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 01:00 PM

Yeah, that's what it was. Also, it's what gave him away.

#4 JCRendle

JCRendle

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 01:07 PM

The tracking device had a mic in it, Bond was listening in, in the script, it did seem alittle pointless in the film, as Bond only knew Le Chiffre as being attacked when he heard the scream.

#5 PlayItBogart

PlayItBogart

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 263 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 01:38 PM

Reminds me of all those times in Bond games where M would interrupt the mission and talk to Bond through God Knows What. I would always complain "That's not very Bond". Well, I guess now it is.

#6 Melanie

Melanie

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 45 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 10:19 AM

No joking, it was really dubbed in German!? :)

Yes. Here is a fairly recent thread, where I wrote a long answer re: dubbing. Post #16 http://debrief.comma...p...c=36581&hl=

The tracking device had a mic in it, Bond was listening in, in the script, it did seem alittle pointless in the film, as Bond only knew Le Chiffre as being attacked when he heard the scream.

Thank you. But couldn't it be argued that Bond was still listening in, while already in the hallway, when the scream occured? Or in other words Vesper, the audience heard the scream as it was happening and Bond also heard it via technical means.

BTW how was he in touch with M and MI6 HQ, while he was being instructed about the defibrillator etc. Also this? So they couldn't hear him. Or was it the mobile phone? That got lost on me.

Edited by Melanie, 02 December 2006 - 10:47 AM.

#7 bill007

bill007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2072 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 12:26 AM

There was a device Bond stuck into his vein (you could hear the 'pop' of a sterile container being opened). That device also plugged into his cell phone. Direct link to HQ.....

#8 Melanie

Melanie

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 12:37 PM

Thank you bill007. Noticed the black device / cable on my second viewing. I initially thought that the tracking device (Bahamas) is already a link to MI6 and this way his vitals are monitored 24/7. But now I take it, that the tracking only gives away the location and he has to insert and activate the other device to alarm them and get the support?

Edited by Melanie, 05 December 2006 - 12:38 PM.