#2 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 09:57 AM

Neither is Chares Dickens.

Anyone else not doing something they weren't doing?

#3 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 10:05 AM

Richard Curtis was rumored to write Bond 22 - so I considered it relevant news for us. Sorry.

#4 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 05:23 PM

I always thought the rumor was BS myself. He doesn't seem like the type of writer they would even be interested in. He writes romantic comedies most of the time.

Though this news doesn't exactly rule him out in some capacity....

#5 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 06:32 PM

Writers juggle several projects at the same time. Just because he's writing this doesn't mean he can't also be doing Bond.

But, yeah, I always thought this was dubious rumor.

#6 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 08:21 PM

Anyone else not doing something they weren't doing?

Micael Mann is not directing Bond22, either is Spielberg.

#7 MR. BOND 93

MR. BOND 93

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 09:18 PM

I vote for Chis Nolan!

#8 Bondian

Bondian

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8019 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 10:48 PM

Looks like Weird Al isn't singing the theme song to Bond 22. :)

Just thought I should rule him out. :P

#9 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 02:04 AM

I guess I don't understand all the jokes. It was a relevant post considering he had been rumored in the past.

But hey, you guys think you're funny so I won't break the bad news. :)

#10 Scottlee

Scottlee

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2592 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 02:44 PM

Why would Curtis be asked to write a Bond film? He can only do cheesy love flicks, and over-rated ones at that.

#11 stamper

stamper

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2994 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 02:49 PM

No Nolan please, I think Batman Begins is everything CR isn't, ie a lagging movie. CR does the first hour of BB in the first 3mn. Do we really needed more ???

#12 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 02:57 PM

Why would Curtis be asked to write a Bond film? He can only do cheesy love flicks, and over-rated ones at that.

Not sure that that's true, Scottlee. I haven't seen it, but I believe his THE GIRL IN THE CAFE (2005) is pretty serious stuff, and there's pathos and "thought-provoking" elements in much of his "comedy"/"romantic" work.

Personally, I never found Curtis an improbable choice for Bond, although I felt him to be likely only as a script-polisher a la Haggis, tinkering with the humour or something. Indeed, I found him a very realistic name when Roger Michell was rumoured as the director of BOND 22, since his NOTTING HILL was directed by Michell.

#13 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 03:37 PM

I vote for Chis Nolan!

I'd rather like Alfonso Cuar

#14 Moore Baby Moore

Moore Baby Moore

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 08:39 PM

I vote for Chis Nolan!

Anyone whose idea of freshening up the Batman series is to recycle the worst elements of the Burton-Schumacher films, slather on the worst excess of Frank Miller (the worst thing to ever happen to Batman), and to get career-worst performances from every single person in his cast has no rght to even get near James Bond. I would set up NolanNotBondDirector.com in a heartbeat if that hack got his grubby mitts on 007.

#15 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 11:18 PM

Anyone whose idea of freshening up the Batman series is to recycle the worst elements of the Burton-Schumacher films, slather on the worst excess of Frank Miller (the worst thing to ever happen to Batman), and to get career-worst performances from every single person in his cast has no rght to even get near James Bond. I would set up NolanNotBondDirector.com in a heartbeat if that hack got his grubby mitts on 007.

I'm no fan of Nolan for Bond, but BATMAN BEGINS was great.

The worst elements of the Burton-Schumacher films? Really? I thought those were the nipples on the batsuit, the lack of story focus, the lack of Batman in the Batman films... etc. and so on. I'll be the first to admit BEGINS has some flaws, but let's face it, in no way did Nolan take the worst aspects of the Burton/Schumacher films.

Furthermore, BATMAN BEGINS took very little from Frank Miller, aside from a wink towards the Miller Batmobile and taking story details from BATMAN: YEAR ONE (which, if you really think is that bad, you're at odds with the majority of the Batman fan community which tends to think YEAR ONE is something of a masterpiece). As far as portrayal of the character goes, Nolan's Batman and Miller's Batman couldn't be more different.

And career-worst performances? Let's be a little honest here. The performances in BATMAN BEGINS were hardly anyone's career-worst (and I happen to think they were great).

#16 RazorBlade

RazorBlade

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 08:42 AM

Yes Richard Curtis was rumored to write Bond 22. Yes, I happen to think he could have done a smashing job. No, I'm not sorry to see him out of the running. Why? There are lots of people who could do amazing things with the 007 story if given the chance. My honest opinion is that the Bond fan community and the producers, lord love us all, have been too focused on too narrow a band of creative people. Spread the love and the work people. Let's stretch out and see where we can go.

#17 Scottlee

Scottlee

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2592 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 04:52 PM

Not sure that that's true, Scottlee. I haven't seen it, but I believe his THE GIRL IN THE CAFE (2005) is pretty serious stuff, and there's pathos and "thought-provoking" elements in much of his "comedy"/"romantic" work.

I haven't heard of that film. I saw an interview with him when Love Actually came out and all he talked about were the romantic comedies he'd written. I got the impression that was all he did, and badly (I've never enjoyed any of those films). I'd be worried about him becoming another Roald Dahl. i.e lighthearted writer tries to do something different but does it inadequately.