5 replies to this topic

#1 whitesox

whitesox

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 206 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 06:48 AM

I just re-read On her Majesty's Secret Service...... and found an interesting clue (but is it one?) at the end of the book:
After having destroyed Blofeld's lair at Piz Gloria, Tracy and Bond go to Munich for their wedding. Irma Bunt is there too, keeping an eye on them. And just before the last chapter of the book, she gives a call to Blofeld (to prepare Tracy's death, can we presume), who is hidden at "Hotel Metropole", situated, according to Fleming himself.... on Como Lake! :)
An hotel (or a big house) on Como Lake? Isn't it exactly where Bond wait for Mr White at the end of CR (the movie of course)?
I don't know if it only is a coincidence, I surely don't say that indicates the great return of SPECTRE, but Eon seems to be now so faithfull with what Fleming wrote, that, may be, they already decided (and prepared) to take some existing Fleming (and Spectre or Blofeld-related) material for Bond 22...

#2 Jackanaples

Jackanaples

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 07:39 AM

Nice find! It won't be SPECTRE or Blofeld (as Kevin McClory owns them outright I believe), but you can expect it to be something like them, but updated for our times.

#3 Stax

Stax

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 334 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 07:28 PM

Not sure if McClory still owns the rights to Spectre actually, since the whole case was settled a few years back. Does he own the rights to them but can't exercise them in anyway? Or did EON get them back? They couldn't use Spectre in the FRWL videogame, right?

#4 Mr.Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

Mr.Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 211 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 07:36 PM

I just re-read On her Majesty's Secret Service...... and found an interesting clue (but is it one?) at the end of the book:
After having destroyed Blofeld's lair at Piz Gloria, Tracy and Bond go to Munich for their wedding. Irma Bunt is there too, keeping an eye on them. And just before the last chapter of the book, she gives a call to Blofeld (to prepare Tracy's death, can we presume), who is hidden at "Hotel Metropole", situated, according to Fleming himself.... on Como Lake! :P
An hotel (or a big house) on Como Lake? Isn't it exactly where Bond wait for Mr White at the end of CR (the movie of course)?
I don't know if it only is a coincidence, I surely don't say that indicates the great return of SPECTRE, but Eon seems to be now so faithfull with what Fleming wrote, that, may be, they already decided (and prepared) to take some existing Fleming (and Spectre or Blofeld-related) material for Bond 22...

Hmmm... Interesting!
:)

#5 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 07:44 PM

Great find, whitesox!

McClory doesn't own jack anymore. I believe he even lost even his original rights. But that doesn't mean he won't still make trouble. I think Eon still avoids SPECTRE to avoid him. But they could decide to now use SPECTRE and take him on. With the power of Sony behind them, I don't know how McClory could afford the fight. No-one would back him. And we know Babs is fearless and badass. :)

It would be great to see Eon finally squash McClory and bring back SPECTRE. We've been robbed of Bond's “Moriarty" for too many years. A modern version of SPECTRE in a Craig Bond...it's just too wonderful to even dream about.

#6 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 09:08 PM

Not sure if McClory still owns the rights to Spectre actually, since the whole case was settled a few years back. Does he own the rights to them but can't exercise them in anyway? Or did EON get them back? They couldn't use Spectre in the FRWL videogame, right?

http://debrief.comma...showtopic=36490

Read that current thread. It's all there. It's believed he owns the rights, but that they've been possibly diminished over the years. Even if EON has them, which I believe they don't, they're clearly avoiding their use to avoid McClory.

Funny.. that none of you journalists ever ask the producers this. Maybe they skip the question, but that'd be one of the first things I'd ask Michael Wilson if I had an interview with him. :)