8 replies to this topic

#1 Jacques Nexus

Jacques Nexus

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 19 August 2001 - 12:20 PM

As a wrap-up on the Benson interview here's a summary of what he divulged about his future novel/s.

1. The possibility exists for the Union to return, though Benson has no plans at this stage to do so.

2. The Fleming heroines will NOT reappear in Benson's novels, though he omitted mentioning his own creations.

3. Tiger Tanaka will NOT die. What a relief that is ! (As a humourous aside, considering the marvellous plot twist in NDOD, let's hope Tiger doesn't turn out to be Kissy Suzuki's father !).

4. Benson does not rule out the possibility of sending 007 to political hotspots such as the Middle East, etc. However, he mentioned, "...the Bond series has never really hit upon real world problems...It's too touchy a subject...". Benson's THE FACTS OF DEATH came close by focusing on the Cyprus problem, however it's NOT likely to happen in a really meaningful way in the near future (I agree with Benson here; look back at the Fleming stories and you will see that Fleming was never really interested in that sort of stuff. The 'hottest spots' 007 ever went to were West Berlin in TLD & Albania in RISICO. Fleming was more interested in visiting exotic locales, rather than 'hot spots').

5. Single-0 agents will probably return, if a story requires it. The big titbit by Benson is that he mentions a meeting in his next novel of Double-0's and lower level agents. What does this mean ?. Either this is a boring old staff meeting or something BIG has happened or is going to happen !. This sort of thing hasn't occurred before in the novels and only twice I can recall in the films (THUNDERBALL & TWINE). In the ZMT opening chapter (actually, the opening paragraph is perhaps Benson's best piece of prose) two Single-0's battle it out with 007 in a training exercise at Bond's SHAMELADY retreat...one of them was called STEPHANIE LANE...perhaps we may get to catch up with her at this MEETING ?...perhaps she's a Double-0 these days ?...I would love Benson to revisit this character.

#2 Jacques Nexus

Jacques Nexus

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 25 August 2001 - 01:23 PM

zencat (22 Aug, 2001 05:18 p.m.):

Jacques Nexus (22 Aug, 2001 02:38 p.m.):
zencat...can you provide examples of what you mean by "politically relevant" ?. I'm not sure what you mean by that.

You yourself provided a good example of what I mean when you mentioned the Cyprus problem in FOD. I like it when the basis of the book is some REAL political issue. But I'm thinking it could be bigger. Something that’s on the news every night. I'm thinking more along the lines of Bond getting involved in the Israel vs. Palestine issue, or involved in some plot in which a despot from Iraq or Iran threatens, say, Israel or Saudi Arabia w/ a chemical attack. The kind of thing that would force Bond to take a side in what may turn out to be a complicated issue. Also, seems Africa is awash is dangerous political whatnot -- seems Benson could discover an interesting plot there. I don't think real spies are being sent off to the South of France much. I think they're knee deep in the Middle East. Spies go where tourist can't. Hey, that's not a bad chapter title!

But maybe I'm being too hard on Benson. Looking back on his books, the majority of them have had a basis in real world politics. Hong Kong/China in ZMT, Cyprus/Turkey in FOD, Gibraltar/Spain in DOUBLESHOT -- possibly the Kuril Islands in Benson 6?

Oh hell, maybe I just want Bond to go to the Middle East so we can have another belly dancer sequence. :)

007 in the Middle East is fine, but getting involved in that sort of thing, what kind of story could Benson write ?. That's the thing that puzzles me if I was in his shoes. I suppose the plot would have to be so REAL that I wonder whether or not readers would start to think there's no difference between that and all the other thrillers out there. One problem with focussing on regional issues around the globe is that there always seems to be the same COMMOM DENOMINATOR to all of them...the common factor is...REVENGE. There's always one side wanting vengeance on the other. Whether it's the ME or Northern Ireland, the former Yugoslavia, etc. Even Benson's ZMT, TFOD & DOUBLESHOT have that same common denominator. By focussing on these issues you run the risk of turning out the same story every time. In my view if 007 gets mixed up in a real international 'hotspot' it would be better to go for broke and for once leave the gadgets and the usual Bondian caper behind and tell a very different style of story. As an experiment I don't mind Benson having a go and let's see what happens. Perhaps one scenario could be 007 tracking a larger than life enemy into a dangerous part of the world (as per your wish) and AGAINST HIS BETTER JUGDEMENT gets involved in the LOCAL PROBLEMS which become a very DANGEROUS DISTRACTION. Along the way, 007's professional demeanour gradually crumbles as he gets INVOLVED in the LOCAL CONFLICT...the CAULDRON OF MADNESS & HATE...a decision he will end up REGRETTING for the rest of his life...by the end of it 007 starts to understand why the people in that region of the world are so crazy KILLING eachother...the realisation of which will leave 007 very SHAKEN & very STIRRED.

Too heavy ?...ofcourse it is...that's what good LITERATURE is all about...it puts the dark side of humanity under the microscope.

#3 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 27 August 2001 - 07:16 PM

Well said as always, Nexus!

Not to change the subject, but Benson mentions they're do to select a title for the book soon "because Hodder & Stoughton needs to print their spring 2002 catalog."

Does anyone know when this print deadline is? Are we zero minus ten away from a title and maybe the UK cover art?

#4 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 27 August 2001 - 10:24 PM

I'll try and get in touch with H&S and see if I can get on a press-release mailing list or anything :)

#5 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 21 August 2001 - 05:55 PM

Jacques Nexus (19 Aug, 2001 01:20 p.m.):
4. Benson does not rule out the possibility of sending 007 to political hotspots such as the Middle East, etc. However, he mentioned, "...the Bond series has never really hit upon real world problems...It's too touchy a subject...". Benson's THE FACTS OF DEATH came close by focusing on the Cyprus problem, however it's NOT likely to happen in a really meaningful way in the near future (I agree with Benson here; look back at the Fleming stories and you will see that Fleming was never really interested in that sort of stuff. The 'hottest spots' 007 ever went to were West Berlin in TLD & Albania in RISICO. Fleming was more interested in visiting exotic locales, rather than 'hot spots').

I'm glad he answered this question and he's right, Fleming didn't put Bond into political hotspots as a rule. But I think FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE (often called Fleming's best novel) was a very current and politically hot book in 1957. I'm sure this is one of the reasons it was on JFK's reading list, and this was the book that made Bond click in the U.S. I think if Benson did a politically relevant Bond novel it could get some notable reviews and attention and would attract new readers who now think of Bond novels as pure fantasy.

#6 Jacques Nexus

Jacques Nexus

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 22 August 2001 - 01:38 PM

[quote]zencat (21 Aug, 2001 06:55 p.m.):
[quote]
I'm glad he answered this question and he's right, Fleming didn't put Bond into political hotspots as a rule. But I think FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE (often called Fleming's best novel) was a very current and politically hot book in 1957. I'm sure this is one of the reasons it was on JFK's reading list, and this was the book that made Bond click in the U.S. I think if Benson did a politically relevant Bond novel it could get some notable reviews and attention and would attract new readers who now think of Bond novels as pure fantasy.[/quote]
zencat...can you provide examples of what you mean by "politically relevant" ?. I'm not sure what you mean by that. Anyway, FRWL was Fleming's best because it was his all time high in regards to his writing skills and characterisations. Fleming's larger than life insight into the SMERSH heirachy was quite chilling and I'm sure this impressed Kennedy very much. Kennedy was no slouch when it came to his reading material...I'm also sure he liked it because it is a damn fine piece of LITERATURE. There's a BIG difference between good PULP FICTION & LITERATURE. Most of Fleming's work was very good PULP FICTION (as Benson mentioned in his interview), but FRWL is distinguished from his other works because it is good LITERATURE. Can Benson produce good LITERATURE to propel 007 back into the bestseller charts again ?. This is the question that should be asked...Benson would have to overcome a huge obstacle to achieve that...that obstacle is the EON films that have brainwashed the general public into believing 007 is just a cartoon character (not my opinion...it's what THEY think).......tell me what you think, zencat.

#7 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 22 August 2001 - 04:18 PM

Jacques Nexus (22 Aug, 2001 02:38 p.m.):
zencat...can you provide examples of what you mean by "politically relevant" ?. I'm not sure what you mean by that.

You yourself provided a good example of what I mean when you mentioned the Cyprus problem in FOD. I like it when the basis of the book is some REAL political issue. But I'm thinking it could be bigger. Something that

#8 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 25 August 2001 - 11:38 AM

Nexus would you mind if I used parts from your write up above to make an article for the main page? It will be re-arranged and all but you'll still get a credit of course.

#9 Jacques Nexus

Jacques Nexus

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 25 August 2001 - 11:57 AM

Blue Eyes (25 Aug, 2001 12:38 p.m.):
Nexus would you mind if I used parts from your write up above to make an article for the main page? It will be re-arranged and all but you'll still get a credit of course.

No worries, please go ahead.