7 replies to this topic

#1 Tuxedo wearing Bond

Tuxedo wearing Bond

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 200 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 06:55 PM

Hi there, haven't posted for a while but I just got back from seeing CR a few hours ago. I'm just posting this so I have a chance to calm down before I give my review for the film(I loved it so much that I actually came out of the cinema shaking lol! That's never happened to me before!).

Anyway, while watching the pt sequence, it moves too fast to identify the gun Bond makes his first kill with(The kill that goes into the title sequence). I wouldn't really be wondering if it weren't for the book Bond on set, of which its front cover has a good quality version of daniel craig in the gunbarrell pose. But again on that it's hard to identify by just seeing the barrell of the gun. It would be very cool if it were the Walther. Sort of symbolic(But in a way I can't describe...). Anyone know?

Thanks.

#2 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 07:08 PM

Welcome back :)
I'm not sure but i would say it's the PPK, yes.

#3 ckoch

ckoch

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 89 posts
  • Location:Aboard my stealth ship on the Bow River - Calgary, Canada

Posted 18 November 2006 - 07:17 PM

I will second that. It was fantastic to see although didn't Bond originally start with a Baretta (for the sake of continuity I suppose)?

#4 icecold

icecold

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 278 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 07:46 PM

I think it was the P99 but I'll have to see the movie again to know for sure.

#5 darkpath

darkpath

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2688 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 08:49 PM

I suppose it would be too much to hope it was the Beretta Model 90 (in 7.65mm) which has a strong resemblance to the PPK (and which would preserve the Beretta to Walther transition of the books, albeit in larger calibres than in the books.

Personally, I'd hoped that they would show Bond, early on with a Beretta in 7.65 such as the Model 90 or the 3032 Tomcat and then transition him to a Walther in 9mm (either Kurtz or Parabellum).

While I know that DC is a big fellow (as in very buff) I do hope that Bond doesn't use the full-size P99 (the P99C makes so much more sense!!!).

#6 Blunt Instrument

Blunt Instrument

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 02:51 AM

The weapon Craig is holding in the cover to Bond on Set is a PPK. One of the photos in the book shows Craig as Bond hitting the bad guy with the back of his hand, while holding the PPK.

...and as an owner of one... Yes, it is very much a PPK.

While I know that DC is a big fellow (as in very buff) I do hope that Bond doesn't use the full-size P99 (the P99C makes so much more sense!!!).

I think that he'll be sticking with the full-size model. The Compact is a defense pistol, no longer the service weapon that the original P99 was designed as. However I like how he wasn't carrying the thing in a sholder holster all the time. The PPK wasn't too hard to conceal in Brosnan's Galco Executive holster, but notice how Craig carried the P99 in an In-the-pants holster during the Madagascar Chase. It is still a large weapon for concealed carry, but they pulled it off professionaly (the same method was used for Tom Cruise's USP in Collateral).

Edited by Blunt Instrument, 19 November 2006 - 02:58 AM.

#7 Tuxedo wearing Bond

Tuxedo wearing Bond

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 200 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 08:06 AM

It's interesting how they managed to keep one classical element of the gunbarrell. Because Craig didn't do the walk and shoot, and the gunbarrell looked different. But (If that indeed was the PPK) they managed to keep the same gun for all the gunbarrells so far.

#8 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 10:28 AM

It is a Walther PPK. The armourer on the film deliberately gave it to Craig. They knew what they were doing.