15 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Woodpigeon

Mr Woodpigeon

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 243 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 02:59 PM

I am a new-comer to the novels. Reading Fleming of course, and have just finsihed MR about to start DAF.

To me Bond is just the Fleming books (and the films of course), but should I read on? Are these books worth the read?

#2 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 03:08 PM

I'd say no, others will say yes. But I can only say no having read them, so to be able to say no, that's a yes.

Helpful?

No.

Or yes.

#3 Mr Woodpigeon

Mr Woodpigeon

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 243 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 03:13 PM

I'd say no, others will say yes. But I can only say no having read them, so to be able to say no, that's a yes.

Helpful?

No.

Or yes.

Yes.

:)

#4 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 04:07 PM

The other Bond novels are indeed entertaining, especially those that continue the development of secondary Bond characters you thought might never reappear.

#5 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 05:30 PM

Once through the Fleming novels, Colonel Sun is worth it (fine novel - just ask me or Loomis) and then by all means, enjoy the Gardner books. When it comes to Benson, go for it. They're fun and Zero Minus Ten and High Time To Kill are great (IMO) along with the rest. RB did a great job with such a daunting task. I can only hope the potential novels will carry on the fine tradition.

So, Fleming and then Amis followed by Gardner and Benson. The literary Bond is great reading and good fun. Gardner handles the transition from '68 to the 80's quite well.

However, it's up to you.

#6 Mr Woodpigeon

Mr Woodpigeon

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 243 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 05:38 PM

Yeah, if I continue I would like to read them in 'order' like that.

#7 icecold

icecold

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 278 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 06:27 PM

YES! They're not as excellent as Fleming but they are in the sense that they're entertaining reads that keep you hooked (at least they did me). My favorites are definitely Facts of Death, The Man With The Red Tattoo, and Zero Minus Ten, not necessarily in that order, I love all 3 equally.

#8 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 07:34 PM

If you're a Bond fan and crave more adventures of 007...why not? While no-one can match the "art" of Fleming's orginals, as James Bond action-adventures, the continution novels are every bit as good and in some cases better. Enjoy!

#9 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 03:34 AM

Why not? Give them a try.

#10 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 05:18 AM

Go for it. They're all (Amis, Gardner, Benson) worth the effort.

#11 Mr Woodpigeon

Mr Woodpigeon

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 243 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 06:20 PM

:) Thank you all :P I will read on :P

#12 Peckinpah1976

Peckinpah1976

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 351 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 11:56 PM

Being a big fan of the Fleming novels (and Colonel Sun), I was going to ask a similar question; is the general consesus that Benson is the weakest Bond novelist to date? If so I might not bother, as the two Gardner novels I did read were bloody awful IMO.

Edited by Peckinpah1976, 22 November 2006 - 11:56 PM.

#13 dee-bee-five

dee-bee-five

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 12:16 AM

I am a new-comer to the novels. Reading Fleming of course, and have just finsihed MR about to start DAF.

To me Bond is just the Fleming books (and the films of course), but should I read on? Are these books worth the read?

Read all your Flemings. Read the Amis (actually better than The Man With The Golden Gun). Skip the Gardners if you have any respect for the character. And choose your Bensons carefully.

#14 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 12:24 AM

Read on, Mr Woodpigeon, read on....

Once you finish the Flemings, the Amis, the John Pearson biography (essential reading, IMO), try the Gardners and the Bensons. Both these continuation authors add their own spin on Bond but, if you like literary Bond, it is worth pursuing.

I would then urge to read Young Bond. These books are sensational, particularly if you have read and enjoyed Fleming.

I would then also read the Christopher Wood novelizations of his scripts - very well written and under-rated. But save these for last.

#15 Mr Woodpigeon

Mr Woodpigeon

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 243 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 06:53 PM

Once you finish the Flemings, the Amis, the John Pearson biography (essential reading, IMO), try the Gardners and the Bensons. Both these continuation authors add their own spin on Bond but, if you like literary Bond, it is worth pursuing.

I would then urge to read Young Bond. These books are sensational, particularly if you have read and enjoyed Fleming.

I would then also read the Christopher Wood novelizations of his scripts - very well written and under-rated. But save these for last.

Thanks ACE, will do.

:)

#16 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 04:58 AM

What ACE said. :)