6 replies to this topic

#1 Jet Set Willy

Jet Set Willy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 195 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 11:51 PM

I've just seen it. What can I say. Speechless!!

Opening credits, superb! Very retro 60's.
Beginning action sequences, breathtaking, edge-of-your-seat stuff.
Eva Green is EXACTLY as imagined her to be in the novel. Le Chiffre, suitably slippery, and again, pretty much how I imagined him to be in the novel. I'm pretty much lost for words on the film. It took me by complete suprise. I was worried as I had high expectations anyway, but this actually surpassed it (never thought that would be possible). From the card game onwards unfolds pretty much like it does in the novel. It was great seeing moments from Fleming's work again, only this time how it should have been done all along. With REALISM!!! Out are the crappy one-liners, stupid jokes and silliness. In is hard-edged, bloody, brutal action scenes and realistic dialogue - something that I have never witnessed before in the films, only in the novels.

And last but not least, Daniel Craig himself. How does he rate. In one word, BRILLIANT! He barges his way right the way through this movie, Maximus-Gladiator style. Relentless, ruthless, violent, vulnerable and believable. Again, he surpassed what I expected of him. If anyone had doubts about Craig before as Bond (including the CnB'ers) you needn't worry. This guy is actually BETTER (yes better) than the big man himself, Sean Connery......I never thought I would ever say that, but it is true. Craig makes every other Bond actor look weak in comparison, and we all know what a hard act they are to follow (especially Connery), but somehow Craig has pulled it off.

I am still in a state of absolute shock right now. After 20 years, I've finally seen Ian Fleming's James Bond on screen, in all his true, bloody glory.

Daniel, don't you dare walk away from this franchise now. EON, lock this man up and keep him from straying away. You have struck pure gold with this one!!!!!

10 out of 10.

#2 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 12:04 AM

Plant.

:)

#3 Jet Set Willy

Jet Set Willy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 195 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 12:09 AM

Plant.

:)

I must be if I like the film so much........EON, please can I have a job on the next one.....pretty please.... :P

#4 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 12:14 AM

:P

You know, it's practically illegal or sociopathic for fanboys to give a Bond film a 10 out of 10. Afterall, there is always something to complain about. :)

#5 Jet Set Willy

Jet Set Willy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 195 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 12:33 AM

:P

You know, it's practically illegal or sociopathic for fanboys to give a Bond film a 10 out of 10. Afterall, there is always something to complain about. :)

I really, honestly wish there was something to complain about.

OHMSS has its faults, so does FRWL, so does LTK.

But this. Damn it! No silly one-liners, no stupid humour to lighten the film, no daft gadgets. Damn it! I really want to find a fault with it, but right now I can't.

Maybe the fault is that it is too perfect! There, I've found one..... :P

#6 BlackSpy

BlackSpy

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 54 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 06:25 AM

Maybe the fault is that it is too perfect! There, I've found one..... :)

The fault is that you are a fanatic in the true sense of the word: "a person with an extreme and uncritical enthusiasm or zeal".

#7 Jet Set Willy

Jet Set Willy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 195 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 08:16 AM

Maybe the fault is that it is too perfect! There, I've found one..... :)

The fault is that you are a fanatic in the true sense of the word: "a person with an extreme and uncritical enthusiasm or zeal".

Explain why my wife loved it then, who doesn't particularly like Bond films.

And explain why I am highly critical of all the Bond films (I only actually really like FRWL, Goldfinger, OHMSS and LTK).

Edited by Mister Asterix, 16 November 2006 - 07:26 PM.