This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Alexander Witt: Better than Vic Armstrong?

8 replies to this topic

#1 tim partridge

tim partridge

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 03:14 PM

For those who have seen the film, what did you think?

Armstrong's stuff was often criticised for being faceless, loud and Hollywood, with stunt gimmicks at the narrative's expense.

How does Alexander Witt compare? Is he more Arthur Wooster or Vic Armstrong?

Does Witt get the Arthur Wooster style credit of SECOUND UNIT DIRECTED AND PHOTOGRAPHED BY?

Edit: was Arthur Wooster involved with CR in any capacity?

Edited by tim partridge, 15 November 2006 - 03:42 PM.

#2 mkkbb

mkkbb

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 12:14 AM

I really loved his work on this, it looks stunning, and very hard-edged. I did find that Vic Armstrongs work had gotten a bit stale (but maybe that's because his edits weren't the ones that made it to the final film).

I would be VERY happy if Witt was on board for the next film because the action scenes were excellent, far better than the previous Bonds.

#3 Evil Doctor Cheese Returns

Evil Doctor Cheese Returns

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 84 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 12:34 AM

I've never liked Armstrong's Bond work...it always felt very stagey like he like stunts rather than film-making. Witt seems to treat stunts as part of film-making rather than seperate or showy like Armstrong. I don't know how the very experienced and sometime seemingly arrogant (and lets face it...why not - he;s at the top of his game, wanted by big directors and very very experienced with big action hit) Armstrong would have taken to having to atcually tell a story during an action scene and show Bond scared rather than get bond from a to b with as many dull shots as possible ala the die another day hovercraft chase.

Witt's applied himself perfectly and we're back to great Goldeneye action which feels part of the film and very strongly crafted.

G x

#4 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 01:07 AM

Considerably.

#5 tim partridge

tim partridge

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 09:56 AM

Having seen the film now I agree with all of the above.

#6 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 05:02 AM

It was really good.

But I cannot criticise Vic Armstrong because he was responsible for my favourite Bond action scene - the speedboat chase from TWINE. Wow!!!

#7 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 06:16 PM

I'm still pissed off with Witt for [censored]ing up Resident Evil 2 but i'm really close to forgiving him :)

#8 MattofSteel

MattofSteel

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 05:46 PM

I haven't been disappointed by Bond action in the series, probably sicne A View to a Kill (just because I cant' suspend my disbelief that much...sorry Rog).

But I do have to say, that while I love watching, certain elements of Armstrong's direction had come to feel a bit "staged." Reached a peak with TWINE, he redeemed himself with DAD a little. Alexander Witt's work on CR, however, I found quite breathtaking.

#9 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 07:44 PM

I couldn't say for sure when it comes to Armstrong's overall contribution. But compared to TWINE and DAD there is no question that Witt has produced far better action.