Okay

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 02 July 2002 - 11:15 PM

#1: FRWL Orient Express fight with Grant..the best, most intense, and most suspenseful fight of the whole Bond series, a real masterpiece of stunt choreography and editing, and one of the only fights in which you think Bond could very well lose.

#2: Goldfinger pre-titles...because of how it begins (love the reflection in the eye bit) and how it ends; "Shocking."

#3: YOLT Osato office fight: It's just fast and furious and wild! Love it when Connery hits the guy with the couch.

#3 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 02 July 2002 - 11:24 PM

1 - FRWL - The Train - Enough said.

2 - TB - Pre-credits with the great Bob Simmons. Slugging a widow. Priceless.

3 - GE - Spy vs. Spy - 006 & 007 in the dish. Some nasty/fast exchanges and Pierce and Sean get in it up close.

I do concure with the others listed above though.

Runners up for me :

- TSWLM - Rooftop fight with Sandor. Also, Jaws fight on train.

- OHMSS - the fight in Tracy's suite. "Gate-crasher".

#4 Hardyboy

Hardyboy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 472 posts

Posted 03 July 2002 - 01:03 AM

In this order: Bond and Red Grant in FRWL; Bond and Oddjob in Goldfinger; and Bond and "The Widow" in Thunderball--for all the reasons previously named. Honorable mention: the elevator fight between Bond and Peter Franks in DAF--a pretty good punch-up in such a tiny space.

#5 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 03 July 2002 - 02:21 AM

On checking back, I realize I strayed from the "strictly Connery" code.

I'll add to Connery as my third, the final showdown between 007 and Hans in YOLT. Sean truly looks haggard when he walks into Blofeld's quarters. Some great solid blows from 007.

As fights go, and not limited to Sir Sean, what are some of everyone else's favorites?

#6 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 03 July 2002 - 02:47 AM

1. Bond vs. Grant in FRWL. Sure predictable and it's been put up there already by most people, kind of like Citizen Kane always topping the best film lists. But the thing is almost perfection and still holds up almost 40 years later.

2. Bond vs. Boitier (the widow) in the precredits of Thunderball. A fast, furious way to get that film going. The flowers on the corpse touch was what set Bond apart from the other spy films of the day.

3. Bond vs. Peter Franks in Diamonds Are Forever. This was a nice touch of reality in a film that was a precursor to the Moore era. A nice reminder of the earlier, stronger films.

Runners-up: Bond vs. the big guy in Osato's office in YOLT and the Disco Volante fight at the end of Thunderball.
Just as an aside, I think the most overrated fight was Bond vs. Oddjob. While still a good scene, it was so one-sided that it hardly qualifies as a fight. But it was important in that unlike the later fights with Jaws, where it got ridiculous, it showed Bond was human and the character often had to use wits to survive.

#7 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 03 July 2002 - 03:34 AM

Not in any particular order...
  • Bond Vs Grant
  • bond Vs Oddjob
  • Bond Vs Franks
The common overriding reason for choosing these three over any other? Simple, they are the three that immediately came to mind when I read the first sentence in this thread. To me they are the most memorable.

The Grant and Franks fights were viciously intense, magnified by the claustrophobicly confined space in which they were fought.

The Oddjob fight was a David and Goliath affair fought in a surreal environment of gold bars and iron bars, climaxing in a shower of sparks causing Oddjob to unflinchingly headbutt the floor.

Could never forget these fights.

#8 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 03 July 2002 - 04:00 AM

Bond vs Grant: Duh.

Bond vs Bouvoir (or Boiter, or Bouvard, or whatever the hell it is): Gotta love that whippin' that the widow gives him! Ouch!

Bond vs Chauffeur: The way Bond kicks him in the somersault and the roughing up of the driver.

Bond vs Japanese Assassination Assistant: When a bad guy picks up a chesterfield to bash Bond with, you know the fight's gonna be good.

#9 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 03 July 2002 - 04:33 AM

After some thought...I decided on these three:

1) The fight with the cab driver from the airport in "Dr. No."n It was tight, it was precise, and it showed how far both would go to get the info (or keep the info) that was wanted. It set the tone for Connery's fighting style and his humor.

2) In DAF, the fight with Franks is, again, well choreographered, well filmed, very tight and very real. Both actors wanted it to "work," and it shows.

3) Again from Dr. No, when Bond fights with Quarrel, it shows that Bond can in fact be overpowered -- only to come back and win! It also shows how nicely Bond adapts from enemy to friend, (and back in later Bond movies not necessarily with Connery) as necessary.

-- Xenobia

#10 Double-Oh-Zero

Double-Oh-Zero

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3167 posts

Posted 03 July 2002 - 04:00 PM

My picks:

1.Bond vs. Red Grant- set the standard for the upcoming films. Few Bond films have done better.

2. Bond vs. The Chauffeur Guy in YOLT- I thought this fight wasn't just lots of punches and kicks, but funny when Bond drinks the Siamese vodka after, or knocks the head off the statue and tries to discreetly put it the now decapitated statue back.

3.(Tie)Bond vs Franks, and Bond vs The Widow- The DAF fight scene was done very well for such a small area. And Bond's foreign accent is really funny.:) The one with the widow in TB was done really well also. I especially like it when the guy got thrown into the china cabinet and fireplace.

I didn't mention the GF fight mostly because Bond didn't really fight much himself. It was very well done, but it seemed Bond was just trying to throw stuff at Oddjob that didn't include good punches. It just wasn't the "in-yo-face-whoop-yer-:)-three-ways-till-Sunday" type of fight like Bond and Grant. I'd still give it an honourable mention, though.

#11 BONDage

BONDage

Cadet

• Crew
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 July 2002 - 08:18 PM

WOW

#12 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 04 July 2002 - 03:25 PM

I'll just agree with everyone, FRWL, GF and TB.....

#13 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 30 July 2002 - 05:53 PM

1. The train fight from From Russia With Love. Connery and Shaw going at it was perfectly set up. A great match-up and a splendid climax.
2. Connery beating the guy up and throwing him in the bathtub before electrocuting his *** in Goldfinger. Connery getting into it with Oddjob.
3. Beating up the widow in Thunderball. The fight on the Disco Volante at the end.
4. The fight with the guy in Osato's Office. You Only Live Twice. Throwing the guy to the piranha.
5. The fight with Peter Franks in Diamonds Are Forever.
6. The health club fight in Never Say Never Again, but it's not one of Connery's best.

Who would win in a fight? Shatner or Connery?

#14 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 31 July 2002 - 11:38 AM

The Shat vs. 'Call me Sir' Sean?
Difficult to call, but I'm seeing lots of tossing of hairpieces into the opponents face!

Talking of fights, did anyone see Grosse Point Blank the other night? One of the all time best movie fights at the end of that, believe it or not.

#15 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 31 July 2002 - 01:43 PM

You mean, making use of a television set to inflict carnage? Yes, I saw it. Bloody good show.

#16 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 31 July 2002 - 03:38 PM

Well yes- but the fight in school where Cusack kills the guy with a pen is the best fight.

#17 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 01 August 2002 - 07:18 AM

The Connery Bonds definitely had the meanest fight scenes of the series (note: only one half-decent mano-a-mano fight in the Brosnan era to date, with 006 at the end of "Goldeneye"). My favourites:
1. The train fight in "From Russia With Love". The all-time classic.
2. Pre-credits sequence of "Goldfinger". Brilliantly conceived, with the bad guy coming in as a reflection in the girl's eyeball, and the final electrocution.
3. The fight in the office in "You Only Live Twice". Great set design and use of furniture as weapons.

#18 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 01 August 2002 - 02:22 PM

Note to the guy directing the stunts: Make them meaner, and make us really believe that Pierce is about to rip these guys a new one.

#19 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 01 August 2002 - 02:27 PM

I've never look at this thread before, so forgive me if I'm not up to date on things, my picks:
1. Bond/Red Grant (killing Grant was brillinat, first Bond had the upper hand, then Grant etc)
2.Bond/Largo (well, apart from the speeded up stuff, everything else is fine)
3.Bond/thug in bathroom (from GF, Bond delt excellently with the guy. When he kneed him in the side, you coud just feel the pain, ouch!)

#20 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 01 August 2002 - 02:59 PM

Best fights for Connery. Don't turn them into the Shatner fights where we can clearly tell someone else is in there doing the flying drop kick and judo chops, or whatever the hell it is he does.

#21 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts
  • Location:Was on Saturn, now back in Belfast, Northern Ireland

Posted 01 August 2002 - 06:11 PM

Test post. I know this isn't the proper forum, sorry.

#22 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 01 August 2002 - 06:24 PM

I don't know what my all time favourite Bond fight is, but I know what my favouriteS are.

The Red Grant/Bond fight on board the Orient Express, in FRWL.

The Bond/Kriegler fight in St. Cyril's monastery, in FYEO.

The fight with one of Osato's henchmen.

The Peter Franks fight.

#23 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 01 August 2002 - 08:08 PM

Originally posted by Bryce (003) (Edited)
On checking back, I realize I strayed from the "strictly Connery" code.

I strayed from the strictly Connery code too. Sorry. I should've considered the title more carefully.

#24 ThomasCrown76

ThomasCrown76

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 146 posts

Posted 21 August 2002 - 03:00 PM

I just saw on the DAF DVD, they showed a bit of the filming of the elevator fight with Connery and Peter Franks. I like it when Connery asks if the next fight will be in a phone booth.

#25 Colonel Moon

Colonel Moon

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 404 posts

Posted 28 August 2002 - 08:39 AM

TB pretitlesequence