A Goldfinger Question for the experts!

8 replies to this topic

#1 BONDage

BONDage

Cadet

• Crew
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 July 2002 - 08:45 PM

This is just one of those little tid-bits that stick to me after I watch a favorite film for the One Hundred and tenth time

#2 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 02 July 2002 - 09:14 PM

Absolutely it has merit but when I raised the very same question some time ago, someone gave me a scenario that was very much a "well it's a Bond film so we will give it a background to make it make sense". It included stuff such as, "well, Goldinger didn't want to show his hand too soon so wanted to give the impression that all would still be well with the remaining hoods, and as the car was due to have its road tax renewed, Goldfinger thought the car was worth only to be trashed.......etc etc." At the time I didn't think it worth arguing about as no one else seemed to give a damn so I left it at that.

But yes, it really does not make any sense, especially since the producers did such a good job of tidying up the none sensical bits from the Fleming book - such as actually removing the gold from the vault as opposed to just rendering it radioactive and therefore worthless.

#3 BONDage

BONDage

Cadet

• Crew
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 July 2002 - 11:08 PM

Originally posted by Simon
Absolutely it has merit but when I raised the very same question some time ago, someone gave me a scenario that was very much a "well it's a Bond film so we will give it a background to make it make sense".  It included stuff such as, "well, Goldinger didn't want to show his hand too soon so wanted to give the impression that all would still be well with the remaining hoods, and as the car was due to have its road tax renewed, Goldfinger thought the car was worth only to be trashed.......etc etc."  At the time I didn't think it worth arguing about as no one else seemed to give a damn so I left it at that.

But yes, it really does not make any sense, especially since the producers did such a good job of tidying up the none sensical bits from the Fleming book - such as actually removing the gold from the vault as opposed to just rendering it radioactive and therefore worthless.

Thanks for the reply, Simon!

I'm gonna go with the "road tax renewed" theory... LOL... That's actually pretty funny stuff!

Anyhoo... I guess anything can be explained with enough imagination...Besides...that was indeed a kewl scene when the band new car was crushed!

#4 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 03 July 2002 - 02:53 AM

I've heard this question raised before and I also agree with the not tipping his hand to early theory.

However, I wondered something else. If these are all high-ranking mafia hoods, why didn't they have their bodyguards with them? If Mr. Solo is such a big shot, why would he trust Goldfinger enough to not only let his bodyguard take him for a ride, why would he even be there with other rivals ("Why weren't we told the East Coast was in on this?")without protection.

Just an aside to it all since a lot of people question the whole killing of the hoods thing. I think it's all pretty logical.

#5 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 03 July 2002 - 04:13 AM

Originally posted by BONDage

Besides...that was indeed a kewl scene when the band new car was crushed!

Do you ever think about how much material and labour is wasted when these sort of stunts are done for films? Like how much is spent on crushing brand new cars, that could be spent on solving world hunger...but you're right, that scene was cool!:) I wish Oddjob'd left Solo alive, though, now that would have been cruel.

However, I wondered something else. If these are all high-ranking mafia hoods, why didn't they have their bodyguards with them? If Mr. Solo is such a big shot, why would he trust Goldfinger enough to not only let his bodyguard take him for a ride, why would he even be there with other rivals ("Why weren't we told the East Coast was in on this?")without protection.

In the book, it's Helmut Springer who's the 'traitor', and they all have bodyguards there, because Goldfinger announces that Mr Springer and Mr (?) died when they fell down the stairs in an 'accident'.

Also, this brings me to the point that in the book, the hoods all knew that Springer had been hit because he knew too much. They're crime bosses, why in the world would they get scared knowing a traitor got killed? It's their line of business.

The book seemed like a real story about criminal organisations in the US, the film seemed to laugh at real criminals and put forth the idea that radioactive gold is worthless. Is it really worthless? It's represented by money, so it's not like you're going to die because you carry around a radioactive bar of gold to Safeway. Honestly, if one had the logistics to remove the gold from Ft Knox (five major gangs in the US, plus a train), it's far more plausible than assuming you are going to destroy an economy by adding another semi-precious metal.

#6 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 03 July 2002 - 04:19 AM

Originally posted by BONDage

...Besides...that was indeed a kewl scene when the band new car was crushed!

A pity you could see that there was no engine in the car as it is lifted up by the crane. :)

#7 BONDage

BONDage

Cadet

• Crew
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 July 2002 - 04:26 AM

Originally posted by Blofeld's Cat

A pity you could see that there was no engine in the car as it is lifted up by the crane. :)

I'm putting on the scene tonight before I go to bed.

I swear I've never noticed that before! LOL... Too funny.

And trust me...I've seen Goldfinger at least a hundered times!

Thanks for the "FLUB" tip!

#8 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 03 July 2002 - 06:42 AM

As Simon says, there is a way to look at it that is quite convuluted. Is it necessary? No. (though he's probably talking about a post I made :))

Anyway, there is one way that I found simple enough to sum it all up. Goldfinger is insane. Personally, I think that's enough said :)

#9 Double-Oh-Zero

Double-Oh-Zero

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3167 posts

Posted 03 July 2002 - 04:22 PM

Thanks, Blue Eyes. The explanation is as simple as that. These villains don't know what they're doing half the time, anyway. Why did Blofeld go through all the trouble of hiring those workers, building the volcano lair, and then put it in self-destruct? 'Cause villains are bonkers, I tell ya. They don't really care about those things.:) Anyway, I'm not about to go and ask the people who made GF, are you?