11 replies to this topic

#1 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 01 July 2002 - 07:15 PM

This is my Canada Day post! So happy July first to everyone, especially the few posters from Canada. I wish there were more, it seems as if no Canadiens who own computers like James Bond. Perhaps if there were, we could get our own section in international!
:) Oh well, I don't think there are any Bond events here anyway, so it's pretty pointless.

And now my July First message: No this isn't some stuff that you'd expect Her Excellency, the Governor General, to speak, just an explanation of why I won't be posting from July Fifth until August Nineteenth.
Because I'll be at HMCS Qu'Appelle, a Sea Cadet Summer Training Centre at Fort San in the Qu'Appelle Valley of Saskatchewan, learning the Bronze 5 level of sailing (Canadien Yachting Association level, FYI). So now you know I'm not dead throughout most of the summer--hopefully. :)

#2 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 01 July 2002 - 07:20 PM

Happy Canada Day General!

Good luck and God speed!

-- Xenobia

#3 Hardyboy

Hardyboy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 472 posts

Posted 01 July 2002 - 09:34 PM

Happy Canada Day, General! Open a Molson, have some of that round bacon, and do a little curling. And I'll miss seeing your posts around here.

#4 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts
  • Location:Was on Saturn, now back in Belfast, Northern Ireland

Posted 01 July 2002 - 09:44 PM

Happy Canada day.

Is it the case that some call it "Dominion day".

#5 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 01 July 2002 - 11:41 PM

'Round bacon'? I thought Americans called what Canadiens call 'back bacon', 'Canadien Bacon'? Well, I don't eat much bacon, so whatever!:)

As for 'Dominion Day', that was the original name, but it was officially changed to 'Canada Day' on October 27, 1982. Around the time of 'repatriating' the constitution from London and a whole load of republican rubbish to quell the Quebecois separatists. I'll now call it Dominion Day, Dr Tynan. Thanks for reminding me!:)

#6 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 02 July 2002 - 12:08 AM

Maybe this forum should be changed from "United Kingdom" to "The Commonwealth." :)

Happy Canada Day to you General Koskov.

Maybe you can clear up something I need clarification on regarding the term "Canuck." Is it a offensive term or not? And where the hell is it derived from?

I've been lead to believe that it is offensive, but aimed generally at the French Canadians, rather than all Canadians in general.

#7 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 02 July 2002 - 12:29 AM

As far as I'm concerned, 'Canuck' is not offensive at all. I suppose anything could be if oneused it in an 'offensive tone', but I've never gotten offended by that.

This site explains the origins behind 'Canuck'. Apparently it's American slang for Dutch or Francais Canadiens. No wonder I don't get offended!

Canadiens call the Francais (Quebecois, actually) Pea-soups.

#8 Double-Oh-Zero

Double-Oh-Zero

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3167 posts

Posted 02 July 2002 - 01:20 AM

Happy Canada Day, fellow Canadians (and everyone else)! Just about to head out to see the fireworks now, myself. And the term "Canuck" isn't offensive to me at all, BC. Curling, Hardyboy? I believe lacrosse would be more appropriate.:) And good luck at your sailing trip, General.

#9 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 02 July 2002 - 02:32 AM

Thanks for that link, General. Very interesting.

Although, I'm not too sure that I'd want to be compared to a "small of medium-sized horse, common in Canada" if I was a Canadian and got called a "canuck."
:)

#10 john007

john007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 463 posts

Posted 02 July 2002 - 03:41 AM

HAPPY CANADA DAY!!!!!!

I am another Canadian, actually i live in the same city as 'General Koskov'!! So to all the Canadians on the board and those abroad, Happy 135th!! And a salute to the best country on earth!!!

My French might not be perfect (as we are a bi-lingual country!), but here it goes: Bon anniversaire Canada! Salut a toutes les Canadiens ici, au CBN, et toutes les autres Canadiens! Vive le Canada, un pays magnifique!!

See you in 3 days America!

#11 Hardyboy

Hardyboy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 472 posts

Posted 02 July 2002 - 05:36 AM

Originally posted by Double-Oh-Zero
Curling, Hardyboy? I believe lacrosse would be more appropriate.:)

I have a good friend in Montreal who jokes about curling being Canada's REAL national pastime. Maybe it was too much of an inside joke. . .

#12 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts
  • Location:Was on Saturn, now back in Belfast, Northern Ireland

Posted 02 July 2002 - 08:57 PM

Originally posted by General Koskov
As for 'Dominion Day', that was the original name, but it was officially changed to 'Canada Day' on October 27, 1982.

The book I got my info from was published in '81.

That explains why it says that :)