This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

The Living Daylights pre-title sequence ...

15 replies to this topic

#1 Double-0 Six

Double-0 Six

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 411 posts

Posted 29 June 2002 - 09:32 PM

What does everybody think of it?

To answer my own question, it was the first sequence I found really memorable (and made me seek out the other Bond movies afterwards) and it's still in the top three of my favourites from the Bond movies. It sets up the new Bond perfectly and is a great way of kickstarting a new direction for the franchise.

What about the rest of you, any comments?

#2 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 29 June 2002 - 09:42 PM

I like it too. I love the whole training exercise idea and the bit where 004 gets killed. It brings in Daltons Bond brilliantly, it shows what he is like in action sequences(e.g his love for headbutting)and what he is like with women('better make that two'). The whole sequence is brilliant, the Land Rover chase with Bond 'dropping in' and the skydiving from the Hercules plane. All in all, its one of my favourote pre-credits sequences.

#3 mrmoon

mrmoon

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 29 June 2002 - 09:43 PM

Interesting topic I dont recall many TLD topics.

I too am I big fan of the opening sequence as is my Grandad (its his fav). I thinks it sets up Dalton well, and sets the tone of the movie right from the start. I always have a fondness for the last few shots when Bond lands on the boat, the set dressing is really awesome. Quite 80's but I love it.

#4 Tedley King

Tedley King

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 29 June 2002 - 10:09 PM

I have to say that is my favourite Bond pre cred. All others have some part that tend to be boring. However, in TLD I find none of it boring. I can watch it and never get tired. However, in films like TWINE, which is a bit long, I gte bored when they are talking in the office, I enjoy the action on the boat and in the office though.

#5 Hardyboy

Hardyboy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 472 posts

Posted 30 June 2002 - 12:28 AM

It's a good pre-title sequence marred by one thing that a lot of other people have commented on. . .Didn't the girl on the boat who complains about how "boring" things are see the flaming truck come flying over her head?

#6 Double-0 Six

Double-0 Six

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 411 posts

Posted 30 June 2002 - 07:10 PM

Originally posted by Hardyboy
Didn't the girl on the boat who complains about how "boring" things are see the flaming truck come flying over her head?

Good point. Don't know how to answer that one. :)

On a side note, does anybody know where I can download the version of the Bond theme playing as Bond grapples on top of the Land Rover? I can't seem to find the soundtrack anywhere, is this particular track available online?

Thanks for replies, by the way!

#7 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 01 July 2002 - 02:04 AM

Originally posted by Tedley King
I have to say that is my favourite Bond pre cred.  All others have some part that tend to be boring.  However, in TLD I find none of it boring.  I can watch it and never get tired.  However, in films like TWINE, which is a bit long, I gte bored when they are talking in the office, I enjoy the action on the boat and in the office though.

Good point, Tedley. It seems that especially the Brosnan films and LTK before it have extended teasers, which do drag. This one is tight, has nice but not too over-the-top action and has relavance to the story later on. Then again, Living Daylights is one of my favorite Bonds anyway, so I am a bit biased.

#8 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 01 July 2002 - 02:06 PM

Originally posted by Tedley King (edited)
I have to say that is my favourite Bond pre cred.  All others have some part that tend to be boring...

My god man, you seriously need to see a doctor and get some Ritalin. If you get bored during 18 of the 19 Bond pre-title sequences, you have a problem.

#9 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 01 July 2002 - 04:58 PM

Originally posted by Double-0 Six

does anybody know where I can download the version of the Bond theme playing as Bond grapples on top of the Land Rover? I can't seem to find the soundtrack anywhere, is this particular track available online?

Thanks for replies, by the way!

Great score by Barry on TLD. As to the track on the disc, if you can locate a copy of the re-release MGM "deluxe edition" soundtrack, there is bonus material starting with track 13 "Exercise at Gibraltar" which has the entire music track from the gun barrel to the landing on the yacht. Try Amazon, but I stumbled across mine at a Tower Records.

#10 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 01 July 2002 - 05:39 PM

One of the best. I posted a thread called 'TLD Logic, or the lack thereof' in the spirit of the threads called 'Goldfinger/Octopussy Logic, or the lack thereof'. If someone wants to answer my question there, go ahead, but here's a condensed version of it:

Is the SMERSH assassin on The Rock before the 00s get there? And he only kills the guard that paintballs him, 004, a guard by the truck, and he hits another with the car. Just wanted to get the death toll straight. After all. Necros only killed two in the attack on the MI6 safe house.

#11 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 01 July 2002 - 05:59 PM

The "SMERSH" operative obviously stealthed his way into the island(how many times has 007 done the same). His orders were to kill at least one member of the team (the KGB probably knowing full-well they were "Double-O's") - granted, this is only my speculation/observation. - Kill one and deliver the message loud and clear to MI6.

an old quote from a book by a "former" CIA operative -

"The Cold War made it clear you had to know how to stay colder."

#12 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 01 July 2002 - 06:19 PM

Ah, thanks for clearing that up, Bryce.:)

#13 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 02 July 2002 - 01:15 AM

When you think about it, the whole pre-credit sequence takes a dig at itself.

Later on M said that Bond was on The List, but as there is a

#14 Donovan

Donovan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 08 July 2002 - 10:25 PM

Well, that assassin I would have to guess was working directly for Koskov. The list was a phoney, just to get the British Secret Service to assassinate Pushkin.

I'm sure he gladly would have killed Bond if it meant staying alive, but I thought a big part of Koskov's plan was for Bond to shoot the sniper and kill Pushkin.

-Joe

#15 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 23 July 2002 - 06:36 PM

Oh, yes, what a wonderful precredits sequence. The music is good. John Barry is clearly the man for this. But.....we get introduced to a new Bond who would have definitely been pulverized by Red Grant if HE had been Bond. The Bond who snuck onto the Disco Volante and took on all of those guys at once is not here. This guy has enough trouble with one! If that truck hadn't have flew off the cliff, Dalton would have been wiped all over the inside of the cabin, headbutting or not. The final thing with Necros is disgraceful. Ironically enough, the same fella who played Necros in the movie was the first terrorist killed by the cop from New Jersey in a little film that puts both Dalton films to shame...a film called Die Hard.

#16 Donovan

Donovan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 27 July 2002 - 05:28 AM

An earlier draft of the pre-titles for "Daylights" began with Bond walking into Moneypenny's office and tossing his hat on the coat stand (something Dalton later said he wanted to do). He goes into M.'s office and it is here he gets briefed about the exercise. Bond's face is not to be revealed. 002 and 004 ae also in M.'s office and all three agents are wearing civilian suits. As M. is talking, the picture would have dissolved to the C130 Hercules in flight....

-Joe