#1 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 10 June 2001 - 05:32 PM

Has anyone else noticed this?

The UK edition of Raymond Benson's novelization THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH ends with the paragraph:

"Their bodies melded once again into a perfect cadence, inspired by the crackling explosions of the fireworks above them."

Okay. But the U.S. edition ends with:

"Their bodies melded once again into a perfect rhythm, inspired by the crackling explosions of the fireworks above them, completely unaware that elsewhere in the city at least one mother was singing her children to sleep with a plaintive lullaby."

Weird? Of course, their are numerous differences between the U.S. and UK Fleming books (I always try to read the UK editions), but I wasn't aware until now that there are differences in the Benson books.

Are there any others changes? Does anyone know why this last line was cut from the UK edition? Does anyone care?

#2 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 20 June 2001 - 09:46 AM

That's an interesting theory White Persian. Perhaps on Christmas Eve that's how Benson's wife put their baby (if one exists) to sleep. Perhaps just a personal reference.

#3 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 14 June 2001 - 04:32 PM

I think you're probably right, Blue eyes, but I also wonder whether it might be an in joke...I know Benson's wife accompanies him on location to do research. I wonder if she and their child (if they have one) were
in Istanbul(?) at the time Bond was supposedly there. Just a hunch.

#4 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 10 June 2001 - 10:27 PM

I have no idea why that line was cut. But I was reading a comparison list between Benson and Gardner Novels UK and US editions and there are numerous differences, especially in the Gardner novels. I think one US edition had about 5 whole paragraphs throughtout the novel missing and numerous sentences edited. It was cut to buggery.

#5 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 10 June 2001 - 10:33 PM

Blue Eyes (10 Jun, 2001 11:27 p.m.):
I was reading a comparison list between Benson and Gardner Novels UK and US editions and there are numerous differences, especially in the Gardner novels.

I would like to read this list. Do you remember where you saw it?

#6 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 11 June 2001 - 03:45 AM

I'll take a look for it and see what I can find!

#7 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 13 June 2001 - 03:21 AM

I think, personally, it's a reference to how unawair all the people are in Instanbul of how close they came to death. And how there was one man who saved them.

#8 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 12 June 2001 - 12:17 AM

The missing line is intriguing all right. But what does it refer to? Am I missing something?

#9 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 12 June 2001 - 05:08 AM

Actually, I don't really understand that line either -- although I haven't read the book. Is some earlier reference to this mother and child? Or is this just a poetic way of saying Bond saved the children of Istanbul?