This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Looks like we have another confirmed "Bond Staple" gone.

27 replies to this topic

#1 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 04:25 AM

We've gotten confirmation that the main title sequence will not feature the nude woman we've been accustomed to for the past 40 or so years. On the surface this doesnt seem like a big deal, but a few people are taking this news rather badly.

So, how do you feel regarding this? I actually predicted this based on what we saw of the titles in the tv spot. So I thought it was rather neat that I turned out to be right.

#2 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 04:27 AM

I have *no* problem with it. The titles look brilliant, and it's cool to see something new. I hope they'll return in BOND 22 or the near future, but I'm glad things are being shaken up.

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1274 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 04:30 AM

Good riddance. Just another cliche that needed to be wiped away.

I *did* like the idea of showing Bond's dossier but this seems cool too.

#4 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 04:47 AM

You know a lot of the changes are because it's the "first one." 1 film isn't going to kill us and it's just the main titles, which if you saw the TV spot look rather amazing as is.

#5 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 04:48 AM

You know a lot of the changes are because it's the "first one." 1 film isn't going to kill us and it's just the main titles, which if you saw the TV spot look rather amazing as is.

No need to take a defensive stance, I don't think anyone here is really worried they ditched this. I just thought it interesting enough to start a discussion about.

#6 MR. BOND 93

MR. BOND 93

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 04:50 AM

I agree with everybody. It's better off without the naked ladies. Although it seems kinda weird that they FINALLY decided to do it with the Bond movie that features "intense sequences of violent action, a scene of torture, sexual content and nudity". lol

but i have no problem with it at all.

#7 Agent Spriggan Ominae

Agent Spriggan Ominae

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1068 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 04:51 AM

No that big a deal. There weren't any dacing "nudes" in Dr. No, FRWL, or Goldfinger. And who knows, maybe they'll be back in Bond 22.

#8 MR. BOND 93

MR. BOND 93

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 04:52 AM

There weren't any dacing "nudes" in Dr. No, FRWL, or Goldfinger.

And those turned out to be some of the best movies in the franchise! Coincidence?

#9 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 05:22 AM

Not a huge deal to me. I'm interesting to see what these titles will be in full.

#10 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 05:23 AM

No need to take a defensive stance, I don't think anyone here is really worried they ditched this. I just thought it interesting enough to start a discussion about.

It's not a defensive stance. I didn't mean for that sound like I'm attacking you or something.

#11 Jackanaples

Jackanaples

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 06:22 AM

We've gotten confirmation that the main title sequence will not feature the nude woman we've been accustomed to for the past 40 or so years. On the surface this doesnt seem like a big deal, but a few people are taking this news rather badly.

So, how do you feel regarding this? I actually predicted this based on what we saw of the titles in the tv spot. So I thought it was rather neat that I turned out to be right.

I think it's a FANTASTIC idea. The one guy I know who's seen the movie gushed about how terrifically creative the credits sequence was. If the silhouettes of nude women never reappear, I for one won't miss them.

When they flashed the credits of FRWL on the body of a bellydancer in 1963 it was cheeky and fun. No one had ever done that before.

It was so successful in fact that by 1977's TSWLM they weren't even asking themselves how best to devise the most effective and creative credit sequence for the particular movie being made anymore. That it would feature nude women was a complete given. After all, it's what the audience expects, or something.

See how what was once a creative solution was transformed into first a "tradition" and then a cliche? Cliches might be comfortable but they invariably make an audience's eyes glaze over. That's exactly the kind of pointless crap they should toss in the bin and set on fire.

It's the 21st century. We're at the beginning of an exciting new era for James Bond. 007 is mint as 1962 again. To go forward requires more than holding on to mindless tradition though. The filmmakers need to be brash enough to go about creating some new ones.

Edited by Jackanaples, 06 November 2006 - 11:36 AM.

#12 Morzeny

Morzeny

Cadet

• Crew
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 07:51 AM

I guess since this is technically a reboot of the series they want to do some things that are new.

#13 Vilain

Vilain

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 08:31 AM

I feel, at long last, I won't be bored watching the titles and waiting for the real movie to start. For once, I'm actually looking forward to the titles! :)

#14 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 09:21 AM

Having seen the film on Friday, 03.11.2006, I reconfirm.

No nude girls!

Normally "damn" but wait until you see what Kleinman has done. It is a colurful, 3D CG animation sequence inspired by the design of playing cards (all sorts of clever business with spades, diamonds, clubs and hearts), gambling (love how a roulette wheel appears and a 007 too) and featuring a treated black and white live action Daniel Craig walking through a la Roger Moore. Saul Bass meets Maurice Binder courtesy of the modern maestro that is Daniel Kleinman. The anthemic Bond song by Chris Cornell works superbly with the pop-art sequence.

You don't miss Q
You don't miss Moneypenny
You don't miss a bunch of gadgets

You won't miss silouhetted naked girls....

As Bond once said, "I never miss"

See my initial thoughts on the film here

#15 JCRendle

JCRendle

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 10:50 AM

Well, you do know we are a bunch of pervs who only watch Bond films for the nudes in the title sequence, don't you? It's cheaper than renting pørn :) or so I've been told.

#16 Double-0-7

Double-0-7

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3629 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 02:44 PM

The dancing nudes in the credits have been kind of lame lately anyway, not like back in the 60s-70s (TSWLM comes to mind...). Might as well try something new, everything else in the movie is new (other than M for some reason).

#17 Bon-san

Bon-san

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4124 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 03:04 PM

Not sure I'd ever feel I was tired of seeing dancing nudes over Bond titles, but not having them is not the end of the world by any means. Apparently the CR titles are knockout good, and that's the key thing.

Perhaps Mr. Kleinman will bring the ladies back for Bond 22. :)

#18 Jackanaples

Jackanaples

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 03:07 PM

The dancing nudes in the credits have been kind of lame lately anyway, not like back in the 60s-70s (TSWLM comes to mind...). Might as well try something new, everything else in the movie is new (other than M for some reason).

Casting Judi Dench as M was probably the single best thing they did during the Brosnan era. Giving James Bond, the hedonistic secret agent with a noted streak of misogyny a woman superior to answer to was a terrific move toward updating the movie series for modern times. The idea fell a little flat when Brosnan's portrayal of Bond lacked the hardness and sexism required.

For the right dynamic in the Bond/woman M relationship to work, Bond has to be a bit of a cruel sexist s.o.b. The only actors thus far in that league are Connery and Craig. Moore and Brosnan's Bonds are too nice. Dalton's wasn't sexist enough. I don't know where Lazenby would fit on that scale.

It's too good an idea to just recast the role. Not when you've got Dame Judi Dench on tap already. Having said that, I'd like to see a male M when they recast the role in the future.

Edited by Jackanaples, 05 November 2006 - 04:16 PM.

#19 Jericho_One

Jericho_One

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1370 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 10:33 PM

Yes, Don't really care about the naked ladies too. If the titles are good, then I'm all for it.

Of course girls with guns is a very Bondian thing to watch drifting through the screen, but we all have to grow up one of these days. :)

#20 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 06:29 AM

I am more than fine with this. Based on spot #5, the titles look to be amazing. I'm not really gonna miss the silhouettes. However, I would love it if EON went the FRWL route for Bond 22 and had the credits against the lines of a dancing girl, and perhaps a follow-up with the Goldfinger-style credits for Bond 23...

Edited by 00Twelve, 06 November 2006 - 06:53 AM.

#21 MarcAngeDraco

MarcAngeDraco

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3312 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 11:27 AM

I can't wait to see the CR titles in full, as what I've seen so far looks very interesting...

Interesting side note: when was the last time the titles featured actual 'nude' women?...

#22 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 03:14 PM

Hmmm...probably Goldeneye, I guess.

#23 Red Barchetta

Red Barchetta

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1161 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 03:21 PM

I don't think the absence of naked girls on the titles will hardly be noticed. As DN, FRWL, and GF did't have them, this will simply be a precursor to it. The new titles should be far more interesting.

#24 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 03:50 PM

Yeah the new titles look extremely interesting and should work well. I'm almost apologetic to admit that I don't usually pay much attention to the actual titles - I tend to listen to the song and wait with anticipation for the first scene after the titles. I'll have to pay more attention in future!!

#25 killkenny kid

killkenny kid

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6607 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 03:53 PM

What, no nude women. Then this isn't a Bond movie. :)

#26 Blonde Bond

Blonde Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2006 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 06:12 PM

Well, it's like a part of the "bond" has been taken away. I for one affiliate bond main title sequences with a bunch of naked women/silhouettes and I always expect to get them with the main title.

Then again, the new title sequence looks exciting and new and I am actually waiting the title sequence almost as much as I am waiting for the movie.

Same with Q & Moneypenny. I expect to find them from the movie, but it wont be the end of the world, if they are not included.

#27 Double-0-Seven

Double-0-Seven

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2710 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 06:17 PM

This isn't a big loss for me. From what I've seen of the titles they look very original and creative. It's nice to see a change to them. I'll be looking forward to the entire title sequence, which I don't think I've ever said before about a Bond film. :)

#28 dee-bee-five

dee-bee-five

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 06:23 PM

No big loss.