18 replies to this topic

#1 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 29 May 2002 - 08:13 PM

Just got my U.S. edition of THE MAN WITH THE RED TATTOO. I've said it before (and I'm saying it again) I really love the work that goes into the U.S. editions and TATTOO is the best yet. Black boards with embossed design (is it a "007" in Japanese?); blood red endpapers (my favorite touch); and beautiful type set and design throughout. Maybe some don't like the U.S. jackets as much as the UK editions, but the rest of the package is far superior in my opinion. And it looks great on the shelf!

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 30 May 2002 - 11:04 PM

General Koskov (30 May, 2002 11:48 p.m.):
I know this sounds really stupid and nitpicky, but what annoys me about the copies of Bensons that I see are how large the print is. Most of the Fleming books I've seen have a size around half that of Bensons'. Now, I know Benson doesn't say: 'Hey could you make all of my books with 16.pt type?', but it makes them hard to read, in my opinion.

I noticed that in the U.S. Gardner books. For me it's not that it's hard to read, it just somehow rubs me the wrong way aesthetically. It kind makes the book look like a children's book.

When the U.S. publisher Putnam did a revamp of the series with Benson

#3 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 30 May 2002 - 11:07 PM

General Koskov (30 May, 2002 11:57 p.m.):

Hardyboy (30 May, 2002 11:51 p.m.):
Well, Benson's novels have half the depth of Fleming's, so I guess the publishers need to make up the difference somehow.

OK, that was mean.

:) Mean but deserved. With my animosity to his books, I'm surprised I didn't think of that.

Oi, Vey...

#4 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 29 May 2002 - 08:48 PM

zencat (29 May, 2002 09:13 p.m.):
Just got my U.S. edition of THE MAN WITH THE RED TATTOO. I've said it before (and I'm saying it again) I really love the work that goes into the U.S. editions and TATTOO is the best yet. Black boards with embossed design (is it a "007" in Japanese?); blood red endpapers (my favorite touch); and beautiful type set and design throughout. Maybe some don't like the U.S. jackets as much as the UK editions, but the rest of the package is far superior in my opinion. And it looks great on the shelf!

Does this mean you will get one for every room in your house? :)

-- Xen

#5 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 29 May 2002 - 10:06 PM

Xenobia (29 May, 2002 09:48 p.m.):
Does this mean you will get one for every room in your house?  :)

Just two. Nice signed copy with my first editions in the living room. Extra copy in "the vault."

#6 Hardyboy

Hardyboy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 472 posts

Posted 29 May 2002 - 10:24 PM

I haven't seen the U.S. editions yet. . .Zencat, does your praise of the design mean that the publishers have abandoned the "uniform" look they gave the first five Benson novels? I've liked the look of the British editions simply because they all seem to have individualized designs.

#7 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 29 May 2002 - 10:45 PM

Hardyboy (29 May, 2002 11:24 p.m.):
I haven't seen the U.S. editions yet. . .Zencat, does your praise of the design mean that the publishers have abandoned the "uniform" look they gave the first five Benson novels?  I've liked the look of the British editions simply because they all seem to have individualized designs.

They're still using the same uniform dust jacket design, but I'm not talking about dust jackets. Take off the jackets and I think you'll find that it's the UK editions that are bland and uniform. Same type. Same layout. Nothing that expresses the character of the book (and pretty flimsy paper and binding at that). All the US editions use different type face and have a different overall layout which reflects the style of the book. And TATTOO have a very exotic flavor to it.

#8 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 30 May 2002 - 12:49 AM

Is the UK edition the one featured on CB.n's home page--in the 'must buy' items?

Do the spellings change in the US edition? Such as words with 'ize' rather than 'ise'? Or dropping the 'u' from words like 'harbour' and 'colour'?

#9 Hardyboy

Hardyboy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 472 posts

Posted 30 May 2002 - 12:58 AM

General Koskov (30 May, 2002 01:49 a.m.):Do the spellings change in the US edition? Such as words with 'ize' rather than 'ise'? Or dropping the 'u' from words like 'harbour' and 'colour'?

I'm reading Never Dream of Dying right now (US paperback edition) and the spellings are British, which strikes me as funny since Benson is American and his grasp of the British idiom is shaky at best. Horrors--in one fashion show sequence a model is described as wearing "bra and panties" instead of "bra and knickers!" For what it's worth, all of the Fleming novels have always retained their British spellings in America--the only exception was a paperback version of Moonraker from the mid-fifties that Americanized the spellings as well as some British terminology. And the chapter titled "N****r Heaven" in Live and Let Die has always been "Table Z" in the US.

And, Zencat, thanks for the clarification about the design of the book.

#10 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 30 May 2002 - 02:29 AM

Hardyboy (30 May, 2002 01:58 a.m.):
And, Zencat, thanks for the clarification about the design of the book.

Thank you for the clarification on the spelling differences between editions (or lack thereof). As a rule, I always read the British editions so I wasn't sure about this myself.

#11 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 30 May 2002 - 03:32 AM

A word about the spellings....Benson's grasp on British idioms might be shaky, but I am sure his editors at Gildrose are experts. :)

If I was so wrapped up in my own fanfiction, I might just read this book. But then again, "Zero Minus Ten" is what inspired me to try my hand in the first place. ;-) (Sorry Mr. Benson)

-- Xenobia

#12 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 30 May 2002 - 01:39 PM

Xenobia (30 May, 2002 04:32 a.m.):
.... but I am sure his editors at Gildrose are experts.  :)

Could you tell me what this :) stands for. It pops up all over.

Cheers.

#13 ray t

ray t

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1394 posts

Posted 31 May 2002 - 02:08 AM

got my copy of TATTOO the other day!

it's the UK version (i picked it up at a local chain here in Toronto)

My NDOD from last year was the US version as it was ordered from amazon.com

I'm not allowed to read it until Fathers Day, which, in Canada, is mid June.

My favourite benson is still High Time To Kill. i'll know by mid june if HTTK continues to lead the benson pack.

BY THE WAY:

any ideas out there re possible book of short stories from RB (a la Fleming's FYEO and Octopussy & TLD)?

#14 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 30 May 2002 - 11:10 PM

zencat (31 May, 2002 12:04 a.m.):
I noticed that in the U.S. Gardner books. For me it's not that it's hard to read, it just somehow rubs me the wrong way aesthetically. It kind makes the book look like a children's book.

Yes, a children's book is what I meant. Also it's the Times New Roman font (or whatever) rather than Georgia, which is what Fleming's and Wood's books got. That's the font with the ciphers that look like the letter 'o'.

#15 mccartney007

mccartney007

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 30 May 2002 - 08:18 PM

zencat (29 May, 2002 09:13 p.m.):

I have to admit, I think this is one of the best US covers. The dust jacket is definately an eyecatcher. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who takes the jacket off to look at the book's front and back boards. Very cool.

#16 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 30 May 2002 - 10:48 PM

I know this sounds really stupid and nitpicky, but what annoys me about the copies of Bensons that I see are how large the print is. Most of the Fleming books I've seen have a size around half that of Bensons'. Now, I know Benson doesn't say: 'Hey could you make all of my books with 16.pt type?', but it makes them hard to read, in my opinion.

#17 Hardyboy

Hardyboy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 472 posts

Posted 30 May 2002 - 10:51 PM

Well, Benson's novels have half the depth of Fleming's, so I guess the publishers need to make up the difference somehow.

OK, that was mean.

#18 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 30 May 2002 - 10:57 PM

Hardyboy (30 May, 2002 11:51 p.m.):

OK, that was mean.

:) Mean but deserved. With my animosity to his books, I'm surprised I didn't think of that.

#19 RossMan

RossMan

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 19 June 2002 - 08:48 PM

I've just picked up a copy of the US book last week, the only one the little book shop I went to had left. Aside from the cover art the quality of the US editons really are better. My only comlaint, I wish they would stick with a regular desing for the binding on the DJ. It doesn't look as nice when you have them all line up on the shelf.