12 replies to this topic

#1 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 03:08 AM

Was reading the book "The Art of Bond," great book, btw. Anyways, I was looking at the book and reading the section about cars, and came across an interesting blurb about how Bond gets his Aston Martin DB5 in the film. Now anyone who's read the script or reads the spoilers knows that Bond gets it by winning it from a villian at a game of poker. Well, the original draft apparently had something very different:

Apparently Bond found it trashed, and rebuilt it. While interesting to consider, I'm really glad they didnt go this route, it just doesnt seem like something Bond would do. Plus it'd probably add fuel to the arguments that Bond is too "blue-collar" in the film.

#2 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 03:26 AM

Apparently Bond found it trashed, and rebuilt it. While interesting to consider, I'm really glad they didnt go this route, it just doesnt seem like something Bond would do. Plus it'd probably add fuel to the arguments that Bond is too "blue-collar" in the film.

That reminds me of Bruce Wayne making his gear in Batman Begins. That would've been cool but I don't want to see Bond rebuild a car.

#3 JCRendle

JCRendle

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 03:40 AM

It would be reminiscent of Bond's work on his Bentley's in the books

#4 Jackanaples

Jackanaples

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 04:11 AM

It would be reminiscent of Bond's work on his Bentley's in the books

Indeed. If he'd rebuilt the DB5 it certainly wouldn't have bothered me (beats getting it from Q Branch after all), but I like that he won it in a card game even more. That's cooler.

Oh, and since when is rebuilding a classic sports car strictly a "blue collar" thing to do? Best-selling author Clive Cussler and talk show host Jay Leno (both men millionaires several times over) both own fleets of classic cars. Interviews with either of them have been keen to point out their love of working on the machines.

Restoring a classic sports car is not a pursuit whose desire is limited to those slaving away in the 9-5.

#5 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 04:47 AM

Hmmm. Interesting idea (and hardly a blue collar one, at that - Fleming's Bond restores a Bentley, after all, and it's a more than acceptable high-class hobby), but I prefer the final version. The final version gives Bond more of a "Bond moment," if you get my meaning.

#6 JCRendle

JCRendle

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 05:00 AM

It seems alot has changed from the first draft - more explosions, different scenes etc.

#7 Andrew

Andrew

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1274 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 04:02 PM

I take it this was from the P&W draft? I'm very curious about what they did with the story early on, before Haggis.

#8 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 04:46 PM

I take it this was from the P&W draft? I'm very curious about what they did with the story early on, before Haggis.

Yeah, it was Wade who mentioed it (or it could have been Purvis, never know :)).

#9 killkenny kid

killkenny kid

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6607 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 05:14 PM

Was reading the book "The Art of Bond," great book, btw. Anyways, I was looking at the book and reading the section about cars, and came across an interesting blurb about how Bond gets his Aston Martin DB5 in the film. Now anyone who's read the script or reads the spoilers knows that Bond gets it by winning it from a villian at a game of poker. Well, the original draft apparently had something very different:

nice little gem, jimmy. :)

#10 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 05:47 PM

Not use Bond gets his hands dirty with the Bentley (s) - nor is remotely blue collar in their pursuit.

Doesn't he have a "man"/mechanic who get the first one in tip top shape so it'll start everytime/

And doesn't he send the second one to Rolls and Mulliners for rebuilding and tuning?

I don't seem him spending many evenings in overalls.

#11 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 05:49 PM

Nice little snippet here. I wonder what other ideas were got rid of from the Purvis and Wade script. Guess some more will probably emerge over time. Like when it was revealed they planned a fight on a vulture cage for DIE ANOTHER DAY - extremely glad that was cut!

#12 Jericho_One

Jericho_One

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1370 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 09:00 PM

Rebuilding the DB5 wasn't such a bad idea and it would certainly be nice watching Bond do it.
But of course I also agree that winning such a fine piece of classic mahinery on a poker game is beyond cool.

Anyway, what are the odds of finding - even a trashed one - a DB5? :)

#13 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 09:37 PM

Interesting. I like both options here and would have been happy as well if they had went with this unused one. Nice little tie-in to the books.