40 replies to this topic

#31 Moore Baby Moore

Moore Baby Moore

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 06:03 AM

For myself I am more interested in story and character than in the staples of the older films. I read somewhere on this site that IF was in the process of re-booting Bond in TMWTGG when he unfortunately passed away. Change is necessary for anything to live and grow, even James Bond. Let's let JB change and grow. Let's take some chances and see where it takes us.

Agreed. Whenever I hear "when are things going back to normal," I keep thinking that people just want to go back to the "checklist" style of Bond film, where it's all formula and no innovation. Want the films to open with the gunbarrel graphic? Fine (although I'd like to see it be the final shot of one of the movies at one point). Want the Bond theme to play more of a part in the scores? Fine. But those things don't impact the stories and the characters, and that's where the series has suffered in recent years. The plots have been sloppy and hard to follow. The characters have become stale and lifeless. Q and Moneypenmny have become routine shtick characters. Creatively, the series has been treading water. Comfort food? Maybe. But James Bond can and should be much more.

#32 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 08:38 PM

I can't find the interview at the moment (when I do, I'm going to make a whole thread about this) but Nolan mentioned now that Batman Begins was a success, he's going to take the next one even further inot the dark and gritty, realistic tone that Begins achieved.

If CR is a success, I hope to see them go in a similar direction, with even more characterization for Bond and less reliance on loud flashy action sequences.

#33 JWM

JWM

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 46 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 04:42 PM

i just hope that they bring back the old gunbarrell way. I liked they way they did it for cr but it just wasen't the same for me. I could careless about the moneypenny and q scenes as long as they bring back the old gunbarrell.

#34 The Richmond Spy

The Richmond Spy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1586 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 04:53 PM

Yeah, theres really no reason to have that kind of gunbarrel again. As for Q and Moneypenny, only bring them back if the actors are competent and the roles do more than just make the film longer.

#35 Von Hammerstein

Von Hammerstein

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 05:28 PM

Yes. Gunbarrel, M, Moneypenny (with flirting), Q, a refined, suave,Flemingesque villain (with odd appearence and quirks), over-the-top but plausible plot, (remember stealing nukes and robbing Ft Knox were improbable but doable in the 60's), gorgeous women, realistic gadgets and unstoppable henchmen. If you read the books, those are Bonds roots.

#36 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 08:34 PM

Just in case anyone is still "worried," I'm pretty sure the different blood rundown was specifically for these titles. Sleep well! :)

#37 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 09:08 PM

If CR is a success, I hope to see them go in a similar direction, with even more characterization for Bond and less reliance on loud flashy action sequences.

That's generally how EON works. And since EON seems so keen on this direction, I can't imagine them forsaking it.

#38 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 09:27 PM

That's generally how EON works. And since EON seems so keen on this direction, I can't imagine them forsaking it.

I can't imagine seeing Craig's Bond go up against villians as far out as Jaws, or OddJob, etc. I love how Craig's Bond inhabits the real world, and I hope he stays there. So no! To back to th same (of course, I'm not against putting the gunbarrel back in the front of the film :)).

#39 SecretAgent007

SecretAgent007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 09:50 PM

I would love them to go back to the standard gunbarrel. Can't see how they could work the CR one in the next film without it feeling forced.

I could care less about Moneypenny.

It would be nice to have an armorer. Q Branch in the novels have nothing to do with "gadgets".

It would be nice to have Ponsonby and Bond in his office, as well as Tanner come back. There is lots of other stuff from the Fleming novels that they can use that would be fresh.

#40 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 10:00 PM

I personally would like to see how Bond goes from being in his present, post-CR state to where he's able to let down his guard enough to protect and care for the next leading lady.

#41 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 10:17 PM

The gunbarrel is a no-brainer, I'm sure that will be back at the beginning as usual. If not they wouldn't have included it at all in CR.

As to Moneypenny and Q... I don't see the need. Llewellyn was Q, let's try something new. Experiment and see what can replace it (if anything). Moneypenny might be replaced by Villiers... why not? I can see Bond flirting with him. Or not. Perhaps they'll introduce the character of Moneypenny in the next one and have her as a new recruit. I suspect that's the way they are going with it.

Q is the one I could do without. He doesn't fit with the new style and quite frankly Llewellyn was Q. Cleese just doesn't gel with me - it's too blatantly about comedy, which really doesn't fit with the new style.

The Bond theme will be back - I just hope it won't be in excess. What Arnold did with YKMN was great in CR. What he did with the dramatic scenes (i.e. all the bits that sound just like the TWINE soundtrack)... well I just wish he'd taken the day off and left those scenes unscored.