This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Benson WILL write the DAD novelization! (according to Amazon)

12 replies to this topic

#1 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 19 May 2002 - 05:19 PM

While we still don't have official confirmation, according to Amazon.co.uk it looks like Raymond Benson will indeed write the novelization to DIE ANOTHER DAY. A listing for the book as just appeared showing a November 7, 2002 release date and a price of

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 20 May 2002 - 05:18 PM

Blue Eyes (20 May, 2002 12:49 a.m.):
Any idea when, or if, it will get the Amazon discount?

I'm keeping an eye on it. As soon as it gets discounted I'll pre-order along with the "On the Set" book and the paperback.

#3 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 19 May 2002 - 09:19 PM

I hope he's allowed to expand his 'parametres' and tone down the action. I know [cuss]-all about Die Another Day, but I'm sure it'll have more action than is appropriate for a novel.

#4 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 19 May 2002 - 11:44 PM

Of course the $64,000 question is, who will write the "Making of" book, and will it be available here in the States at all.

I suggest the following chapter titles:

1: Die Another Day -- Almost: The Injuries
2: The Ice Palace: Cold, Hard Fun
3: Pike and Berry: No, not the pub, the Girls!

You get the picture....

-- Xenobia

#5 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 19 May 2002 - 11:49 PM

Well that's great news Zencat. Interesting to see it's a different listing to the original one! Any idea when, or if, it will get the Amazon discount?

And Xen, this link leads to The Making Of. But that's to be discussed elsewhere.

#6 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 30 June 2002 - 05:28 PM

The U.S. DAD novelization has appeared on BN.com. The release date for the mass market paperback is Oct 28, the release date for the audiobook (on tape and CD) is Oct. 1!

Hopefully we'll get a cover pic soon.

#7 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 30 June 2002 - 06:30 PM

In case someone didn't see it in Dave's article about the London book signing, Raymond Benson has the Die Another Day novelisation complete and the book has been greenlit. Dave also tells me that Raymond said that, while he couldn't give any details, he feels Die Another Day is going to be a great movie. It is a wonderful thing to hear from a hardcore Bond fan like Benson who knows the script inside and out.

#8 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 01 July 2002 - 03:24 AM

You know, I'd really love to find out Raymond's process for writing the novelisation. Consider that the book is complete, yet the film isn't. Now how does Raymond attempt to match detail in the book with the film? How does he describe the inside of Bond's hotel suite? Do they send him rushes? Photos from the set? I'd love to know!

#9 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 01 July 2002 - 06:32 PM

I know dick-all about the novelisation process, but I assume it's faster because all Benson has to do is imagine the screenplay himself and write his own descriptions/peculiarities where P&W have put none. At least this is how I hope it's done because having a novel(isation) that is the film on paper is a snooze.

#10 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 02 July 2002 - 12:31 AM

Well General, this could be the case this time around.

One thing I like about novelisations (although I'm yet to read a Bond) is that they are invariably based on earlier versions of a script, and therefore can be a little different to the finished movie.

But if the Die Another Day script was "locked in" at an early stage, I would imagine that its novelisation will be virtually the same in plot, even thought Benson will most likely flesh out the characters and add his own narrative twist to the story.

#11 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 02 July 2002 - 06:59 AM

In that case BC the novelisation would be similair to the one for The World is not Enough which was extrememly similair to the film. Tomorrow Never Dies's however varied greatly, making it a fantastic read!

#12 RossMan

RossMan

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 03 July 2002 - 10:22 PM

TND is probably my favorite of all the novilizations. It felt more like a regular novel than a novlization. Also, it doesn't have Wai Lin getting captured by Stamper at the end and dropped into the water, which many people, anti-Wai Liners, use as an example of her uselessness. The characters were also fully developed, especially Wai Lin and Stamper. Some scenes like with Paris were completely changed. I loved it!

One question about the TND novel: Does anyone know if the bit with the jaguar where Bond thinks that's the car Q might be giving him, made up by Raymond Benson since he uses a Jag in the next book, or was that actually in the script?

#13 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 04 July 2002 - 12:26 AM

It was part of the script and was filmed! Look in the film really carefully. On the widescreen DVD you can see it. To the left is another container with a cage in it. There's a jaguar prowlinig around the cage.

Now that's one scene I wish they included!