268 replies to this topic

#211 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 11:28 PM

Another great bit is when Grant takes Bond's cigarette case. It was the case that had saved Bond's life in the novel, and now Grant has taken it away, making it appear that Bond's in a very bad situation indeed.

#212 DR76

DR76

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1673 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 06:08 PM

Every time I watch that final scene between Bond and Grant, two things enter my mind. One, the acting by Connery and Shaw is excellent. They were both truly superb in that scene. And two, the manner in which Grant delayed killing Bond struck me as incredibly stupid and perhaps somewhat badly written. That's about it.

#213 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 06:29 PM

From Russia With Love
Still Stands As On Of My Favorites.

Kerem Bay, And The Gypsy Camp Were Great !

But, What I Like Best About This Movie Is Grant. The Fight On The Train, And The Way He Made Himself Out To Be That Mi6 Contact At One Of The Stations, Just After Killing The Real One In A Matter Of Seconds. I Like The Way He'd Put The Black Gloves On Before Each Kill Too.

Grant :"Put Your Hands In Your Pockets, Keep 'Em There !"

Bond : "We'll Hows About A Cigarette ?"

Grant: "Not A Chance."

Brilliant !
B) :tdown:

yes me too, the best bond villain of all time, really flemming-esque in away that most bond movies ignore.

That is such a tense and well-written scene. I too love the way that Grant puts his gloves on before a kill. Also the line "not a chance". That's quite jarring to the audience as we assume that Bond will get out of the situation quicker than he does.

Indeed, but it also sort of harkens back to Dr. No, when Jones, Bond's treacherous driver in Jamaica, asks for a cigarette, which is actually a cyanide pill that Jones uses to kill himself; Grant might be expecting the same from Bond (Jones and Grant are both from SPECTRE, after all), so... "not a chance." I like it... :tdown:

I never read it that way. Would seem to make quite a bit of sense. Nice observation.

#214 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 12:10 AM

From Russia With Love

But, What I Like Best About This Movie Is Grant. The Fight On The Train, And The Way He Made Himself Out To Be That Mi6 Contact At One Of The Stations, Just After Killing The Real One In A Matter Of Seconds. I Like The Way He'd Put The Black Gloves On Before Each Kill Too.

Brilliant !

yes me too, the best bond villain of all time, really flemming-esque in away that most bond movies ignore.

That is such a tense and well-written scene. I too love the way that Grant puts his gloves on before a kill. Also the line "not a chance". That's quite jarring to the audience as we assume that Bond will get out of the situation quicker than he does.

Indeed, but it also sort of harkens back to Dr. No, when Jones, Bond's treacherous driver in Jamaica, asks for a cigarette, which is actually a cyanide pill that Jones uses to kill himself; Grant might be expecting the same from Bond (Jones and Grant are both from SPECTRE, after all), so... "not a chance." I like it... :tdown:

I never read it that way. Would seem to make quite a bit of sense. Nice observation.

Me either, interesting theory.

#215 Bondesque

Bondesque

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 428 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 04:16 AM

FRWL is my favorite Bond. And yes, Grant is the best henchman we have ever had in the series. Robert shaw was a very good actor. Have we ever had such a quality actor as the henchman inn any film since?

#216 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 05:06 AM

From Russia With Love

Brilliant !

Me either, interesting theory.

Thanks, very much. :)

#217 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 05:24 AM

Really never thought of it like that, very nice observation.

#218 Onyx2626

Onyx2626

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 238 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 10:46 PM

I never thought of that either.

One thing I like about this scene is that it shows the thin line between being a paid assassin and a sociopath. Bond's question about Grant's recruitment reminds me of his dinnertable query of Dr. No.

Both times the question must've stung.

#219 volante

volante

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1926 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 11:36 AM

No arguments here. One of the best Fleming stories. One of the best films

#220 elizabeth

elizabeth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2285 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 10:15 PM

No arguments here. One of the best Fleming stories. One of the best films

agreed, completely. i [barely] remember the book but i [vividly] remember absolutely loving the movie and the cool comaraderie between bond and kerim.

#221 Genuine Felix Leiter

Genuine Felix Leiter

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 52 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 06:31 PM

Every time I watch that final scene between Bond and Grant, two things enter my mind. One, the acting by Connery and Shaw is excellent. They were both truly superb in that scene. And two, the manner in which Grant delayed killing Bond struck me as incredibly stupid and perhaps somewhat badly written. That's about it.

Don't you just love bad guys who are infected with talking killer syndrome?

Personally, FRWL is like a fine wine. It just gets better with age.

#222 Automan

Automan

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 210 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 09:58 PM

Oh yeah Fine Wine I agree agree agree

#223 Attempting Re-entry

Attempting Re-entry

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 203 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 09:33 AM

Personally, FRWL is like a fine wine. It just gets better with age.

My sentiments exactly.

The feelings I associate with this movie stand in stark contrast to the dated vibe I picked up from Dr No the other evening; the superior score may have a lot to do with it, leaving aside Sean Connery's greater level of confidence in this one...?

#224 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 10:28 AM

leaving aside Sean Connery's greater level of confidence in this one...?

...not to mention, the lipstick. B)

#225 Attempting Re-entry

Attempting Re-entry

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 203 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 11:32 AM

Of course B)

#226 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 11:47 AM

Of course B)

Also, Eric Pohlmann's vocal talents are damned creepy; wish they'd have kept him on as the voice of Blofeld past Thunderball... :tdown:

#227 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 11:33 PM

Of course B)

Also, Eric Pohlmann's vocal talents are damned creepy; wish they'd have kept him on as the voice of Blofeld past Thunderball... :tdown:

I agree. He is easily my favourite incarnation of Blofeld. His creepiness is mirrored in the faces of his subordinates.

#228 elizabeth

elizabeth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2285 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:09 PM

Recently re-watched FRWL, and I agree with GFL. It just gets better and better...and better.

#229 Colossus

Colossus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:56 PM

Speaking of aging fine, ever wonder why that train fight looks legitimately so intense and brutal without being hokey even to this day? As opposed to many hokey fights in movies of that day, i think back then they really put a lot of care and effort into choreography, framing, camera work, editing, i heard it took them from a week to more just to do that one fight and all of that effort made it so timeless.

#230 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 04:07 AM

Indeed. Great use of a location, like the OHMSS bell shed fight. Dark lighting and just the natural sound of the train rattling along. Wind is gushing through the smashed window. And two men are fighting for life inside the cramped interior. Brilliant.

#231 xboy

xboy

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 40 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 04:21 AM

B) i haven't seen it yet but it looks like one of Connery's best. Some lements i've seen in the trailers have to be
rosa klebbs shoe, the chess game and the final wrap up is suppouse to be very good!

#232 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 05:52 AM

:tdown: i haven't seen it yet but it looks like one of Connery's best. Some lements i've seen in the trailers have to be
rosa klebbs shoe, the chess game and the final wrap up is suppouse to be very good!

Well that's your mission for this week. Please report back to us next week with your review.

Thanks.... B)

#233 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 01 May 2010 - 05:50 AM

FRWL is my favorite Bond. And yes, Grant is the best henchman we have ever had in the series. Robert shaw was a very good actor. Have we ever had such a quality actor as the henchman inn any film since?

As that type of villain - the quiet killer henchman - I can't think of one right now. Robert Shaw was already established as an actor, author and playwright even before he appeared in FRWL. He was also a star on British TV, in a historical action adventure series called "The Buccaneer". In many ways he came to FRWL with a more impressive resume than Sean Connery. It was inspired casting.

The whole Bond/Grant train sequence is one of my favourite Bond movie scenes of all time - once the mask slips and Nash is revealed as Grant, we know that 007 is in serious trouble!

#234 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 01 May 2010 - 06:05 AM

:tdown: i haven't seen it yet but it looks like one of Connery's best. Some lements i've seen in the trailers have to be

Well that's your mission for this week. Please report back to us next week with your review.

Thanks.... B)

Agreed. If you are expecting a fantasy film, you'll be a disappointed, but if you want an exciting traditional espionage type of film, FRWL is the one.

#235 solace

solace

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 284 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 09:41 PM

Indeed. Great use of a location, like the OHMSS bell shed fight. Dark lighting and just the natural sound of the train rattling along. Wind is gushing through the smashed window. And two men are fighting for life inside the cramped interior. Brilliant.

One of the best scenes in any Bond film. This is in my top five Bond movies.

#236 Conlazmoodalbrocra

Conlazmoodalbrocra

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3546 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 09:58 PM

The best Connery, by far! B)

#237 Onyx2626

Onyx2626

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 238 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 11:26 AM

Speaking of aging fine, ever wonder why that train fight looks legitimately so intense and brutal without being hokey even to this day? As opposed to many hokey fights in movies of that day, i think back then they really put a lot of care and effort into choreography, framing, camera work, editing, i heard it took them from a week to more just to do that one fight and all of that effort made it so timeless.

I have often wondered why that fight remains my favorite of all movies.

But then again, I do like trains. (the 39 steps...)

#238 elizabeth

elizabeth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2285 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 10:55 PM

The best Connery, by far! :tdown:

Agreed! B)

#239 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 04:27 AM

One of the best scenes in any Bond film. This is in my top five Bond movies.

Agreed. The editing, and the lighting is superb. But the smashed window and howling wind also adds to this incredible fight scene.

#240 Gogol Pushkin

Gogol Pushkin

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 164 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 04:38 PM

It's a real "seal the deal" movie FRWL. There is so much I love and adore about this film. The PTS with the fake 007, Robert Shaw's performance, Daniela Bianchi, Klebb and her shoes, the debut of Blofeld and his cat, the first appearance of the Q we all know and love, the Orient Express sequence and of course Connery himself. There are moments in Dr No where I think he is still finding his feet, but here (and I know many critics and commentators say it happens in Goldfinger) is the movie where Connery becomes the Bond we truly know and love, the cool cat, the suave gentleman, the elegant spy capable of being funny, romantic but dangerous. Look at how he goes from being all charm with Tatania but then quite brutal. It's probably his finest two hours in the role. And then there's the whole sequence on the Orient Express. Most action movies nowadays can't go ten minutes without blowing something up, someone getting shot or a massive fight scene, but FRWL goes a good twenty minutes, possibly longer with Bond, Kerim, Grant and Tatania on that train, building and ratcheting up the tension as Grant muscles in on Bond, approaches him as an ally, shows his true colours before indulging in one of cinema's best ever fight scenes and this is before we get the SPECTRE copter and the boat chase. Damn, I want to run of and watch this film now.

Edited by Gogol Pushkin, 09 July 2010 - 04:39 PM.