007 in 2003

4 replies to this topic

#1 IndyJones

IndyJones

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 35 posts

Posted 21 June 2002 - 04:16 AM

We don't know what Benson's 2003 007 adventure is and I'm only on page 80 something in The Man With The Red Tattoo by Raymond Benson and I can't wait for his 2003 novel for Bond. I think it should involve the Middle East since it is such a major thing in the world today and it would be interesting seeing how Bond will deal with a mission in the Middle East and book sales would be big since 9-11-01. Well I do have an idea for a Bond screenplay that takes him into the Middle East. Does anyone know some plot details of Benson's 2003 Bond novel or even if he is writing more Bond novels after he is done writing the novel verison of Die Another Day?

#2 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 21 June 2002 - 04:45 AM

But TMWTRT mentioned 'the events of September 11th', in passing, so it's been in the aftermath. Anyway, I ,too, would like to see Bond visit the Middle East ('Meddle in the Middle', heh) but I'm afraid either Glidrose, or Benson is too PC to offend a bunch of terrorists--that's all of 'em, by the way. If Bond didn't take sides then the book could be pulled off; for instance, the villain could be hiding amongst the war torn cities, and MI6 can't find him because Israel keeps arresting them, or they keep joining the PLO. I think some of that silly, yet subtle humour would pay off.

#3 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 21 June 2002 - 07:04 AM

The Middle East, I couldn't think of a location I'd less like to Bond go to. Havign terrorists in the news is one thing, but having them creep into the Bond novels or films which I consider things of enjoyment is another think altogether. This may be a little cliche, but I'd rather have Bond fighting a billionaire industralisist in the West Indies than getting involved in real life events, thats just me though. :)

#4 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 21 June 2002 - 04:53 PM

I'm with you, IndyJones. I'm sure it's aged off by now, but I remember posting a thread that argued aggressively for a Middle East Bond book. I think Raymond would do an amazing job with the history, atmosphere, and politics of the region. Look at the amazing job he did with Japan. A Middle East Bond adventure could be his From Russia With Love.

The only danger is how fast things change over there. By the time to book comes out it could be a whole new geopolitical landscape.

Middle East or Africa, that's what I want to see.

#5 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 21 June 2002 - 04:55 PM

Here we go, I found my Middle East post. This was pre-TMWTRT.

I'm sure Benson will do a kick *** job with Japan, but I can't help feel that he's not sending Bond to some of the most interesting and dangerous locations of the world. If Fleming were alive today, you know he'd send Bond to Middle East. Imagine a Bond adventure set in Israel, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Iraq, Iran? I mean, this is the hot spot of the world and a region where a spy is still VERY relevant. There's incredible wealth, horrible despots, torture, beautiful women in veils, amazing monuments and landscapes, and God knows what kind of devious plots and dangerous weapons of mass destruction floating around. The fact that Benson is so good with locations tells me he