More 007

13 replies to this topic

#1 IndyJones

IndyJones

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 June 2002 - 08:11 PM

We all know Ray Benson loves writing 007 but he can't write forever. So who would be a good author to replace Raymond Benson as the writer of original James Bond 007 novels?

#2 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 20 June 2002 - 08:54 PM

Well, considering i'm writing my own story, i could always take the helm of writing officail Bond books! Ok, just kiddin, but who would be a suitable sussessor to Benson?

#3 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 20 June 2002 - 09:34 PM

The multiple authors theory is an interesting one, and one I could get behind. But I seriously don't see Glidrose doing this. The fact is, if it weren't for RB working for peanuts we wouldn't have any new James Bond books and I don't see Glidrose suddenly getting generous and bringing in an a-list successor. Fans are very naive in thinking these books are like the films and will go on forever. (Which is one of the reasons I get so hot when fans bash Benson because I truly believe the future of the books rests with fan support of the current author.)

How do people feel about the Bond books become a series of paperbacks ala Star Trek and Star Wars with multiple authors and maybe 3 books a year? Again, I don't see Glidrose doing anything so ambitious, but it's an interesting idea.

#4 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 20 June 2002 - 09:57 PM

Since I write Bond fanfiction, and I don't see too many of my own gender doing the same, I would like to see a woman take over at Gildrose for a while...just to see what we might get.

I don't think it would necessarily be bad if three novels come out a year, by different authors...as long as there is some continuity (ie, Bond doesn't have a girlfriend in one, but in the other two he does).

As for authors...I have someone in mind...close to my heart...but I won't get catty about it and name names.

-- Xenobia

#5 IndyJones

IndyJones

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 June 2002 - 10:09 PM

I also think several 007 novels should be released a year because Bond is popular like Star Wars, Star Trek. The US paperback verisons of Benson's novels say they are New York Times bestsellers so they sell well enough. So I think at least two authors should write Bond novels so more then one 007 novel is released a year.

#6 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 20 June 2002 - 10:18 PM

Oh, go ahead and be catty Xen. I like catty. :)

#7 Hardyboy

Hardyboy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 472 posts

Posted 20 June 2002 - 10:29 PM

Err. . .what happened to my post, where I suggested multiple authors?

#8 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 20 June 2002 - 10:31 PM

Originally posted by Hardyboy
Err. . .what happened to my post, where I suggested multiple authors?

Yeah, were did that post go? I was responding to your idea in my own post. I didn't delete it.:)

#9 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 21 June 2002 - 03:58 AM

ER, not having read Hardyboy's post on multiple authors, I can't make a fully-informed opinion, but I think that Glidrose should stick to their system they use now.

Zencat
Which is one of the reasons I get so hot when fans bash Benson because I truly believe the future of the books rests with fan support of the current author.

Never thought of that, I'll try and suppress my emotions.:) But if Glidrose hires someone really bad, and then the fans support him, he and Glidrose'll think the books are good, and keep pumping out books that the public doesn't like. But then again, I'd trust Glidrose not to choose a bad author. (There, I said something nice about Benson!:))

#10 RossMan

RossMan

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 22 July 2002 - 09:50 PM

[i]
How do people feel about the Bond books become a series of paperbacks ala Star Trek and Star Wars with multiple authors and maybe 3 books a year? Again, I don't see Glidrose doing anything so ambitious, but it's an interesting idea. [/B]

I wouldn't mind seeing something like that, in fact, when I first wanted to read a Bond novel, I thought for some reason that that was how they did it. If they do adopt a system like this, I'd like to see the books tie in with the movies rather than Fleming's books. The reason is that I was re-reading Tom Clancy's Debt of Honor last week (can't wait for Red Rabbit next week :) ), and thought how odd and unnatural it would be to have some other guy in a decade continuing the adventures of John Clark and Jack Ryan. Also, being in the movie Bond, we'd probably get to see the return of Blofeld that way and what really happened to him. :)

Though I've no problem with Benson's line of books, and TMWTRT especially has given me faith in his Bond writing abilities, so at the moment, there is no need to fix what's not broken.

#11 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 24 July 2002 - 01:42 PM

I could write Bond. I used to write Bond short stories from the 6th to the 8th grade. They were absolutely horrible rip-offs, but I've learned much since then. Besides, ripping off probably isn't going to hurt Vin Diesel this summer, is it? {cough, XXX}

#12 1q2w3e4r

1q2w3e4r

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 20 August 2002 - 11:57 AM

Raises hand....

And someonen mentioned a women in charge of Glidrose... Sorry to dissapoint you, but currently there are two. Fleming's neices.

#13 Tedley King

Tedley King

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 20 August 2002 - 12:11 PM

I don't know if many have heard of him but I've read his first book, released last year, A Gathering Of Spies, and am currently reading his 2nd, most recent release, A Games Of Spies, by John Altman. Mainly about Nazi and WW2 British spies, both. They are very good, although Altman is not a full-time writer, so with the suggestion of a book a year, I don't think he would be able to do Bond novels and some of his own ideas, or to continue with more WW2 fiction.

#14 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 20 August 2002 - 04:21 PM

"A Games Of Spies"? How good can he be if he can't even get the grammar of his title right?

Only joking.