8 replies to this topic

#1 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 20 June 2002 - 04:32 AM

Do (or did) aeroplanes carry atomic weapons? I know u-boats do, and I think some ships, but I would think this is a dangerous practice, should the aeroplane crash.

Of course, if planes don't carry atomic bombs, that makes Thunderball's plot unrealistic, and thus less fun for me.:) (Yeah, that's right, I like my Bond films realistic.:))

#2 Hardyboy

Hardyboy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 472 posts

Posted 20 June 2002 - 05:20 AM

Of course planes carry atomic bombs. . .the bomb that hit Hiroshima was dropped by the Enola Gay. And who could forget Slim Pickens riding the bomb in "Dr. Strangelove?"

#3 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 20 June 2002 - 01:24 PM

Yes they do. Always have and always will. Look at TND's deployable nuclear weapon on the MIG! All of those things (sadly) do exist. However, they aren't deployed, or rather aimed to be, by planes anymore. We have ICBMs now. It's all as simple turning on a light and some city disappears.

#4 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 21 June 2002 - 05:18 AM

Yeah I know about the American-Japanese bombs. I meant if they're regularly carried on training missions by aeroplanes. So BE, you're saying that the MiGs carry nuclear weapons for no reason because we have ICBMs...? Sorry, I'm just not following you.:)

#5 Jeremy

Jeremy

Recruit

• Crew
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 July 2002 - 10:27 PM

Unlike the USA or USSR, Britain never developed land based ICBMs. Instead the nuclear deterrent - consisting of free fall nuclear bombs - was carried by the RAF V-Bombers (the Victor, Valiant and Vulcan aircraft). This was the case until the 1960s when the responsibility for the nuclear deterrent transferred to the Royal Navy, in the shape of the Polaris submarines. The last free fall nuclear bombs were withdrawn from service around 1997.

Incidently, four Polaris missile submarines (H.M. Ships Resolution, Repulse, Renown and Revenge) were constructed - a fifth vessel (Ramillies) was cancelled. Hence, HMS Ranger, which appears in the Spy Who Loved Me, was a fictional name.

#6 Roebuck

Roebuck

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1870 posts

Posted 17 July 2002 - 03:52 PM

I'm probably being pedantic here, but the principle weapon of the Vulcan was the Blue Steel Mark 1, a missile with a range of about 240 kilometres (150 miles). Forgive me If I've misinterpreted Jeremy's use of the term 'free fall nuclear bomb'.

#7 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 17 July 2002 - 09:22 PM

Well, I think that planes have been able to carry atomic bombs since WW2. The plane used in Thunderball was the Avro Vulcan, part of a 'threesome' of atom bombers, the other two being the Valient and the Victor, all British made of course;)

#8 mrmoon

mrmoon

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 17 July 2002 - 11:25 PM

Incidentally, has anyone stood next to a vulcan, they are absolutely frickin huge.

#9 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 17 July 2002 - 11:33 PM

Yeah, I've stood next to a Vulcan, they would make good cover for rain, the wingspan is massive! I've also stood next to a Victor, equally as huge!