This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

The Poker... (BEWARE: might contain MASSIVE spoilers)

6 replies to this topic

#1 Tajike

Tajike

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 05:58 PM

I'm an avid poker player and was just doing my inspection run through some poker forums when I found something disturbing.
I've been spoiled on some main sequences in the movie and frankly do not care about that. The only thing I did not want to be spoiled about was the way how the poker game evolves. Now, I'm scared I've been spoiled on the way Bond loses his money and on how he wins. The guy who posted this said he was sure this was the way it would go. Could someone confirm if this is true or not:

Spoiler

Spoiler

#2 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 08:08 PM

Spoiler

#3 Agent Spriggan Ominae

Agent Spriggan Ominae

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1068 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 06:37 AM

Spoiler

Damn, and I said I wasn't going to confirm or deny anything more the script. What did find disturbing?

Edited by Agent Spriggan Ominae, 17 September 2006 - 06:38 AM.

#4 the villain's architect

the villain's architect

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 147 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 07:52 AM

Spoiler

:)

I hope they'll deliver the scenes interesting enough for those of us who know nothing about poker. It's the first time that a card-game is such an important part in a Bond movie. In the book it was quite fascinating.

Perhaps we'll have to detect what's going on by the expressions on the faces. But don't they strictly avoid expressions at poker? :P

Edited by the villain's architect, 17 September 2006 - 07:52 AM.

#5 Orion

Orion

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 07:58 AM

Spoiler

:)

I hope they'll deliver the scenes interesting enough for those of us who know nothing about poker. It's the first time that a card-game is such an important part in a Bond movie. In the book it was quite fascinating.

Perhaps we'll have to detect what's going on by the expressions on the faces. But don't they strictly avoid expressions at poker? :P

You'll find that poker is very enjoyable to watch even if you don't know how to play.

#6 Tajike

Tajike

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 10:50 AM

Spoiler

Damn, and I said I wasn't going to confirm or deny anything more the script. What did find disturbing?

The disturbing fact is that the game - for me - now lost some of its intensity. It's like knowing the final score of a football game and who scored before you actually watch the game.

Glad though they didn't make Bond win with 'that obvious hand'.

#7 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 01:21 PM

You'll find that poker is very enjoyable to watch even if you don't know how to play.

Oh I hate watching it on TV! They show it late at night on Sky Sports in the UK, and was on in a bar I was in last night. It's slightly more enjoyable when there are celebrities playing, but to be honest, for most of the time, I have no idea what's going on! Hopefully the scenes in the movie will be presented as much more straightforward.