Brosnan as 007

22 replies to this topic

#1 IndyJones

IndyJones

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 35 posts

Posted 19 June 2002 - 10:35 PM

For the past few years we have wondered how long will Brosnan remain 007. He has stated that he will most likely be 007 in Bond 21 but what about after Bond 21? I think Brosnan could stay as Bond after Bond 21 and do as many 007 films until he is 60 because Brosnan looks younger than he is and he loves the role and the producers I would think would want him to stay as 007 for as long as possible since already his three Bond films have made more money then Roger Moore's seven films as James Bond. What do all of you think?

#2 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 20 June 2002 - 02:04 AM

I agree with you totally. Brosnan is aging very slowly, and it is quite possible that he can tie if not break Moore's record of appearing in the most films as James Bond.

That being said...it is Pierce's choice, and only time will tell what that choice will be.

-- Xenobia

#3 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 20 June 2002 - 02:17 AM

I question how many more he could do if they keep with the three year gap between films (which I hope they don't). He's good for one more, possibly two, though I guess if he's still doing a good job of it then the skys the limit.

#4 Silencer7

Silencer7

Cadet

• Crew
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 June 2002 - 02:29 AM

If he breaks the record wonder wht he will look like then?

#5 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 20 June 2002 - 02:34 AM

Originally posted by Silencer7
If he breaks the record wonder wht he will look like then?

He will look the same...with a few more grey hairs and a couple more lines. This man won't look old until he is 75!

-- Xenobia

#6 Mourning Becomes Electra

Mourning Becomes Electra

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 20 June 2002 - 02:43 AM

Well currently Brosnan is 49 making his 4th, a year younger than Moore was when he filmed his 3rd film TSWLM at age 50 in 1977. Moore went on to make 4 more films, he probably should have stopped at 3 more with Octopussy.

As of now, Brosnan says he's taking the films one at a time and would like to do a 5th. He also said he wouldn't do the films if he wasn't physically able to and wasn't physically believable in the role.

Now with Moore it can be said that he was never really a physically believable Bond so maybe it didn't matter much when he got older b/c that was never an intrinsic part of his characterization. As for how Brosnan will look when he's in his mid 50's probably pretty darn great as per usual. :)

MBE

#7 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 20 June 2002 - 03:05 AM

Who here would stop being interested (and I don't say 'stop watching' because you know you wouldn't) in Bond films if they evolved in to 'Bond has a desk-job and it's a drama-thingy' type of film?

I always thought that'd be interesting, nothing more, nothing less.:)

#8 Mourning Becomes Electra

Mourning Becomes Electra

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 20 June 2002 - 03:14 AM

Originally posted by General Koskov
Who here would stop being interested (and I don't say 'stop watching' because you know you wouldn't) in Bond films if they evolved in to 'Bond has a desk-job and it's a drama-thingy' type of film?

I always thought that'd be interesting, nothing more, nothing less.:)

Hmmm interesting. But then wouldn't he be more Jack Ryan than James Bond then (I mean a Ford Ryan not an Affleck Ryan) and even Ryan always winds up in the field by the end of the movie. But it would make for an interesting premise and change of pace, I just don't see it happenning.

MBE

#9 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 21 June 2002 - 12:04 AM

I think there is room in Eon's domain to create a show based on the MI6 that is a drama...a desk job type show that could occasionally cross over with Bond...

But Bond is a man of action, and it wouldn't be him if he is behind a desk twenty-four / seven.

-- Xenobia

#10 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 21 June 2002 - 03:05 AM

Yeah, I think that Bond as the Chief of Staff, or something would make a great comedy show for tv!

#11 Desslar

Desslar

Cadet

• Crew
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 July 2002 - 09:57 AM

Brosnan's hairline is starting to recede a bit. He probably shouldn't do more than one more film.

#12 ShockTroop22

ShockTroop22

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1013 posts

Posted 17 July 2002 - 10:48 AM

I think that we'll get a sixth Bond out of Brosnan. I think that after that we'll have the slightest possibility of a seventh (i hope we get one), and after that the search will be on for the sixth incarnation of Fleming's brain child.

I pray though, that after Brosnan departs we dont have another 6 year gap waiting for the next Bond. Eon should get it out ASAP while people still have Bond fresh in their heads.

#13 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 17 July 2002 - 09:38 PM

This could probably be a thread itself, but it fits in with the discussion of Brosnan staying on for a while.

On my James Bond Story DVD theres a british film critic (cant remember her name) and she mentions one of the reasons AVTAK failed was because audiences were tiring of him as Bond. Whether thats true or not, we'll never know (hey, I wasnt tired of him), but could that happen to Brosnan? Could the public get tired of him as Bond and lose interest? Regardless of how good the films are?

#14 Double-Oh-Zero

Double-Oh-Zero

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3167 posts

Posted 17 July 2002 - 10:31 PM

I don't really think people will start to lose interest in Brosnan, unless the Bond film's are all he's doing by that time. As for whether Brosnan may do a sixth or a seventh, I have a feeling he may do a sixth. If Eon releases the films every two years after DAD (instead of every three years), than Brosnan would be about have done about 5 more films before he's Moore's age. Something to think about.

#15 Dalton

Dalton

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 196 posts

Posted 18 July 2002 - 10:29 PM

I think it's entirely possible that Brosnan will do a sixth. A seventh, as has already been said is not out of the question. There are a few variables though.

1. Timing of the films (Given 3 year gaps any actor (Even Pierce) will age more noticably)
2. Freshness of the films
3. Box office takings (The producers will not want to let Brozzer go if he's still pulling in the $$$'s)
4. Whether Brosnan wants to continue (Look what happened with Connery)

#16 WarBird

WarBird

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 370 posts

Posted 19 July 2002 - 03:34 AM

I think it would be great to see Brosnan in a couple more movies. Even if there is a slite age difference between movies. As long a the directors and producers keep attracting fans with new and interesting plots.

#17 Gunbarrel

Gunbarrel

Cadet

• Crew
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 July 2002 - 02:11 PM

I just hope Brosnan knows when it is time to step down. Roger went two films too many in my opinion. Though Octopussy he seemed just a little too old.

#18 PaulZ108

PaulZ108

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1569 posts

Posted 22 July 2002 - 05:57 PM

I think Pierce could do 2, possibly even 3, move films before he's too old for the part. I hope they revert to a 2 year gap rather than the 3 year gap so that the age difference isn't as noticible. I know he wants to pursue other interests, but pushing the films back a year for this is a bit much.

#19 Double-0 Six

Double-0 Six

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 411 posts

Posted 22 July 2002 - 06:56 PM

Wasn't it revealed after TWINE that Pierce Brosnan asked for a 3 year gap between films so that he can do other projects in between? If that's what Brosnan wants, and if the producers want to keep him in the role, then it seems likely we'll have to wait another 3 years for Bond 21. :)

Personally, I'd prefer a 2 year gap and I'd be very happy to see Brosnan continue in the role for a fifth or even sixth outing ... after that, who knows?

Look how quickly Connery aged between YOLT and DAF.

#20 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 23 July 2002 - 01:32 AM

I was under the impression that he just wanted the three year gap this time to take a break. He's probably already realized that he aint getting any younger, so perhaps he'll think twice before asking for another 3 year break anytime soon.

If they do a 2 year break from now on, I predict Brosnan will do at least 3 more, which would match Sean's, then he could seriously evaluate his physical condition, and opt to do one last Bond film if he's up to it.

On the other hand, if he pushes for the 3 year gaps, I predict at least 2 more.

#21 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 23 July 2002 - 10:59 AM

I have no problem with a 60-year-old Brosnan as Bond. Heck, plenty of Bond fans would STILL like to see Connery give the role another go.

#22 Dalton

Dalton

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 196 posts

Posted 24 July 2002 - 10:11 PM

Originally posted by Loomis
I have no problem with a 60-year-old Brosnan as Bond. Heck, plenty of Bond fans would STILL like to see Connery give the role another go.

No disrespect, but an actor should evaluate whether they can still physically perform the roll. Pierce has said himself that he'll only continue in the roll if he's fit for it.

Bond shouldn't be in his 60's, an agent wouldn't even be active in the same way by the time he's 60. Field work is for the younger guys.

I for one wouldn't like to see Bond with a Zimmer Frame!

#23 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 25 July 2002 - 03:27 AM

I don't want to see a 60-year-old James Bond either, but if a 60-year-old Pierce Brosnan could pass for a few years younger, then I'd like to see him play 007. It's all about suspension of disbelief, I guess, and as far as I can remember Bond's age is never mentioned in any of the films.
I agree the actor playing Bond must always be in shape for the part, and I certainly wouldn't want to see Connery or an elderly, out-of-condition Brosnan as 007 just for the sake of it.