This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

How about a Bond film taking place mostly in America?

41 replies to this topic

#31 RazorBlade

RazorBlade

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 05:42 AM

I think Bond in Alaska would be very interesting. Or the Rockies.

#32 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 05:25 AM

I agree there are many beautiful locations in the USA that would look beautiful and provide great settings for Bond action scenes but I also agree with those who find the Bond films with a large part of them in the US to be among the worst, namely DAF, LALD and AVTAK.

#33 Fro

Fro

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 11:11 PM

IMO, it's pretty much a requirement that you set a lot of one of Craig's Bonds in the States if you want to make the most of the Bond/Leiter relationship.

The only part of the Western Half of the country that's been used is San Francisco and Las Vegas.

#34 Blunt Instrument

Blunt Instrument

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 04:22 PM

I'd like to see Bond in here Vegas Again, but not too soon...
Right now, the city is in a tranistional period. In the late 80s and 90s Vegas made itself more family friendly, but now the city is returning to its adult-oriented roots.
However one thing that would take away from the James Bond level of class that you can't get rid of is the Tourists... You got 50 year olds in flip-flops and bermuda shorts drinking a cocktail out of a long-necked plastic goblet. Not an image I'd like to see around bond.
Still, some of the hotels here like the Wynn, the Bellagio, the Mandalay Bay and the Venetian just have that kind of Bond look and feel to them.
Ocean's Eleven (the Clooney version) managed to maintain a classy image to this town without reminding you too much of the mundane aspects that make a local like me want to puke. Still, every once in a while I am impressed by the mystique that this town offers for its visitors.

Also, the I 215 beltway would make for a great Car chase at night.

But If I were to want a Non-Vegas location for a Bond film in America, I'd like to see him in New England... Bond in Boston would be quite cool, pit him against an IRA type who's got connections with the gangs of South Boston... Then again that might turn Bond into too much of a Crime Drama...

Just tossing around Ideas here

#35 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 04:36 PM

Also, for me, the American Bond girls are the least attractive by a huge margin. Denise Richards? Tanya Roberts? (Carey Lowell is quite something I'll grant you).

I think Richards and Roberts are both very attractive and Lois Chiles, Halle Berry and Lynn Holly Johnson were also very attractive.

#36 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 04:44 PM

I'd like to see Bond in the US again, being one of the LALD-remake proponents. But, it would be tricky to have a good action piece in America unless it was in a remote location b/c of much tighter counter-terrorist operations.

#37 CowboyFunk22

CowboyFunk22

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 04:48 PM

I think it worked great for Goldfinger. But i don't think most people would get flash backs of that when watching todays bond and it might just seem generic.

I think Live and Let Die in the Lousianna area was one of my favorite america visits. Nothing beat bond when he's kinda out of place and seems all the more british and classy.

#38 callmejames

callmejames

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 91 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 04:56 PM

I also live in the Washington, DC area and while I don't think having Bond in the USA for any extended period of time has generally worked very well (I'm thinking AVTAK) I think a PTS in Washington, DC could work. I.e. Bond is delivering a sensitive disk to a CIA/NSA liaison (Leiter or someone else) and something happens with a foreign baddie whom Bond chases through the National Mall or through the Metro system. There's a lot of potential for scenery, scurrying tourists, and maybe even a foot chase through the pedestrian section of Pennsylvania Ave. (in front of the White House) that then ends up with Bond being chased by machine gun toting Secret Service as he chases the baddie.

Not necessarily advocating this be done, but it's one way in which I could see an American setting working and still holding intrigue. However, it would have to be PTS only. Baddie falls off Roosevelt Bridge into the Potomac, title sequence, movie begins with Bond back in London with M chastising him over the mess he's made with the Americans.

#39 David_M

David_M

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1064 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 05:16 PM

Well, considering both Sean and Roger ended their tenures rather ingloriously in two weak entries set mostly in the US, I'm a bit leery of Bond back on our side of the Pond.

Seeing as how I live in the States, I'm not nearly as interested in seeing Bond here as somewhere else, somewhere exotic that I can't get to with, say, a rented Winnebago. And I'm betting a lot of US ticket-buyers feel the same. For every guy from San Francisco who looked at AVTAK and beamed: "Cool! There's my building!" there were probably another ten thinking, "What the heck is so exotic about that place?"

The bigger issue, though, is one of plausibility. One of the problems with the whole Bond formula since Fleming's day one has been explaining just why a British agent would be the "go to" guy for world-shaking threats, when the US is a much larger player on the world scene. Having Bond mop up problems within US borders is even less likely. In fact, it's nuts.

#40 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 05:20 PM

I'm probably most in favour of Bond popping up on the east coast USA (i.e. Boston, New York or Washington DC) for a relatively brief sequence. Don't really want any movie to be set entirely in one country - spoils the idea of Bond as a bit of a global jetsetter.

#41 bryonalston

bryonalston

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1253 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 05:21 PM

The X-Games were here in San Francisco a few years back and I noticed that there was a roller-ski competition on one of San Francisco's many hills. If Craig was to return to the US, I think that he should have a ski-chase on the hills of SF. Not only would this provide good scenery, but it would also create a unique action sequence for the Bond series (we've seen tons of ski chases on snow over the past 44 years.)

#42 Johnboy007

Johnboy007

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 05:41 PM

A whole movie wouldn't work in America. There just aren't enough exotic places that we haven't already seen before.

If I were to go locally with this: skiing through the hills of Pittsburgh and then have a boat chase on the Three Rivers would be different. Nothing of note in Philadelphia, New Jersery, or Delaware. Sequences in Amish country could potentially be interesting.