33 replies to this topic

#31 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 10:20 AM

'And then she said that she was actually working for the Russians, but she really loved me all along.'

'What did you do?'

'Called her a bitch, of course. What else could I - Felix? Bill? What? Oh bugger. I've really done it now, haven't I? Have any of you got a car I can borrow? She's leaving from the air-strip in half an hour.'

#32 Barman

Barman

Cadet

• Crew
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 10:50 AM

Tom Stoppard? Yeah, I'd heard his name mentioned too - in SFX if I remember rightly. Probably more along the lines of polishing an existing script in the way Haggis has done with CR.
If this even has a smidgen of truth to it I'll be very happy. Stoppard is a fantastic writer. Look at "Shakespeare In Love", okay it's a romantic comedy of sorts, but never mind that and look at the SCRIPT, the DIALOGUE and the actually STORY. Brilliant, sharp and very, very clever.
I recommend checking out some of the plays that Stoppard has written too "The Real Inspector Hound" and "Arcadia" particularly. This guy really knows how to tell a story and tell it well!

#33 Agent007.5

Agent007.5

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 164 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 05:14 PM

I wanna see Richard Curtis take a turn on Bond. He's one of the best British screenwriters in history, I think he would be able to give Bond 22 exactly what they need. Just imagine him writing a scene for his good buddy John Cleese as Q.

#34 I never miss

I never miss

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 316 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 10:09 AM

If anyone has any doubts about comedy writers being able to make the cross-over to Bond then consider Christopher Wood - he wrote two screenplays and two very Fleming-esque novelisations of these screenplays. Roald Dahl too wrote a successful Bond screenplay and he is generally regarded nowadays as a children's author. As has been pointed out, good writers can adapt. Richard Curtis would be an excellent choice - especially if he is a Bond fan already. I would be happy for him to write the script in it's entirity or to polish it.