8 replies to this topic

#1 stamper

stamper

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2994 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 10:50 AM

I was just reading the looking back on Gardner's novels series on this site, and it just stuck me that there are so many similarities with Gardner created scenes with the movies that followed, that in essence, starting with AVTAK, the bond movies have become Fleming/Gardner adaptations hybrids.

I think that EON owns the rights to all follow up novels also, if I'm not mistaken ? This doesn't mean they will adapt them, they already have taken the best ideas out of them I think, and perhaps will continue to do so in the future.

What is the legality on this ?

#2 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 04:13 PM

I was just reading the looking back on Gardner's novels series on this site, and it just stuck me that there are so many similarities with Gardner created scenes with the movies that followed, that in essence, starting with AVTAK, the bond movies have become Fleming/Gardner adaptations hybrids.

You may want to check out this CBn article - "D

#3 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 04:44 PM

What is the legality on this ?

What I've heard is Danjaq says their original deal with Ian Fleming gave them automatic ownership of all movie rights to all continuation novels past present and future (and somehow this now extends to the creation of original video games). But, for reasons of their own, they say they will never adapt a continuation novel. I'm sure many of the similarities between the continuation novels and the films are coincidence, but when you get a Colonel Moon/Colonel Sun...that ain't coincidence.

If there is unfairness in all this (and maybe there isn't--I do think Eon continues to pay a fee to IFP with every film), I'd like to see the Fleming family challenge Eon's stranglehold over the film rights to 007, especially in regards to the original video games. If the Fleming family isn’t getting a cut of those profits, I think they have the right to sue and maybe that will open the door to a reexamination of the original contract.

But I really don’t know the facts. I’m just speculating. Maybe there is a sweet deal in place and everyone is getting rich, fat, and happy. But I do think it sucks Eon hasn't used the continuation novels as at least a bases for films plots. There have been some great capers, villains, and titles.

#4 stamper

stamper

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2994 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 06:49 PM

My feeling is that they do DAD instead of Icebreaker just to avoid unecessary money spent towards Gardner on the title, and his recognition. I say he was just regarded as a hired hand, much like most Marvel Comics characters creators were in their prime. Elektra doesn't belong to Frank Miller, she belongs to Marvel Comics. How much sad it can be.

PS : reason I checked is that I'm re reading all Gardner's after more than 20 years, and find myself really on familiar ground ! Because unlike him, I watched the movies after 1979 haha

#5 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 07:14 PM

What I've heard is Danjaq says their original deal with Ian Fleming gave them automatic ownership of all movie rights to all continuation novels past present and future (and somehow this now extends to the creation of original video games). But, for reasons of their own, they say they will never adapt a continuation novel.

They have first bid or access rights or whatever you call you it. If someone wanted to make a movie based on Young Bond or a Gardner or whatever, the opportunity goes to EON first. That's what I had heard.

Danjaq owns the rights to 003 1/2 and I think that's it (tis why we saw James Bond Jr. in the early 90s). They may own Colonel Sun, but I doubt it. I think they would have to pay to use it.

From what I know, Harry Saltzman had an invested interest in Per Fine Ounce. He wanted it published and Glidrose didn't do it so Harry struck back stating flat out that Colonel Sun would never be adapted into a novel even though apparently Amis wrote to EON to lobbing them for them to adapt it. So that right there set back Glidrose by about 15 years till Gardner came around. By that time it was Broccoli's baby and he didn't want to pay Glidrose to adapt their novels when you could pay a screenwriter, someone as established as Richard Maibaum or even his own step-son to write one.

#6 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 07:29 PM

I'm pretty sure Killifer was based on a heavy from Ice Breaker becuae the guy said "Ol buddy" a few times...law suit!

#7 stamper

stamper

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2994 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 06:58 AM

I don't think authors can sue, as their contracts are probably hired hands ie the content and characters and dialogue belonging to Ian Fleming copyright owners.

#8 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 01:59 PM

From what I know, Harry Saltzman had an invested interest in Per Fine Ounce. He wanted it published and Glidrose didn't do it so Harry struck back stating flat out that Colonel Sun would never be adapted into a novel even though apparently Amis wrote to EON to lobbing them for them to adapt it. So that right there set back Glidrose by about 15 years till Gardner came around. By that time it was Broccoli's baby and he didn't want to pay Glidrose to adapt their novels when you could pay a screenwriter, someone as established as Richard Maibaum or even his own step-son to write one.

While this or something similar is what I also suspect might have happened, where did you hear about it, K1Bond007? I know that Harry Saltzman was interested in Jenkins' book - he and Glidrose met Jenkins in London to discuss it, and all parties were interested enough for a contract to be made up, complete with clauses about what would happen if the book were to be filmed (Jenkins wouldn't receive merchandising royalties). But where did you hear that Saltzman retaliated against Glidrose for rejecting PFO by 'stating flat out' that Colonel Sun would never be adapted? I know from Amis' letters that he asked around and apparently Saltzman had nixed the idea - but where did you see that this was as a result of the rejection of Per Fine Ounce?

#9 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 05:58 PM

[quote name='Qwerty' post='577470' date='25 July 2006 - 12:13']
[quote name='stamper' post='577378' date='25 July 2006 - 06:50']
[/quote]

You may want to check out this CBn article - "D