4 replies to this topic

#1 RedKelly

RedKelly

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 10:27 PM

What do you guys think of Al Pacino as a villian? I've seen him play several roles not just the Godfather and Scarface and he's a very good actor. He's playing in Ocean's 13 but I think he'd make a great villian. How about you?

#2 The Richmond Spy

The Richmond Spy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1586 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 11:25 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing him as a villain at all. I've always thought he would've made a good Sanchez, even though Davi did a great job! Maybe if Al could do a character like Sanchez, then he would shine in the role.

#3 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 12:54 AM

Would be nice to get a villian who wasn't British. Feels like we've had an English villian for the last four films, at least.

#4 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 02:10 AM

I was trying to think of how this would work, but all I can see Pacino as is a Sanchez-type, except only working maybe 20 years ago. Today, it just seems cliche for Pacino. I love Pacino. He's a great actor, but I just don't see it for some reason.

It got me thinking though. How would Pacino work and I came up with a crazy idea in which Pacino (or whomever) was the hero and ::gulp:: James Bond was the villain. Through the twists and turns that is secret service work, what if Bond's orders, his mission, was not a 'good thing'. Anyone ever see Blade Runner? I saw it for the first time (all the way through that is) earlier in the year and the entire time I'm watching it I thought Harrison Ford is the hero, but he's not the hero. It's not to say he is the villain or there is a hero in the story, although an argument could be made. It's an interesting idea especially when Bond has become so formulaic that every film it's Bond + girl against villain + henchman and it's been this way for 21 films, and about 30 novels with minor variations.

I would supplant this from your mind though as it would be too deep for a Bond film, but it could work. It could happen earlier on and Bond could become more of an anti-hero in the film (the redemption aspect of it, anyway).

Some of you may say, what does this have to do with Pacino. That's just me. TV, books, music, video games, films, and cotton candy have warped my fragile little mind.

#5 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 04:27 AM

I was trying to think of how this would work, but all I can see Pacino as is a Sanchez-type, except only working maybe 20 years ago. Today, it just seems cliche for Pacino. I love Pacino. He's a great actor, but I just don't see it for some reason.

It got me thinking though. How would Pacino work and I came up with a crazy idea in which Pacino (or whomever) was the hero and ::gulp:: James Bond was the villain. Through the twists and turns that is secret service work, what if Bond's orders, his mission, was not a 'good thing'. Anyone ever see Blade Runner? I saw it for the first time (all the way through that is) earlier in the year and the entire time I'm watching it I thought Harrison Ford is the hero, but he's not the hero. It's not to say he is the villain or there is a hero in the story, although an argument could be made. It's an interesting idea especially when Bond has become so formulaic that every film it's Bond + girl against villain + henchman and it's been this way for 21 films, and about 30 novels with minor variations.

I would supplant this from your mind though as it would be too deep for a Bond film, but it could work. It could happen earlier on and Bond could become more of an anti-hero in the film (the redemption aspect of it, anyway).

Some of you may say, what does this have to do with Pacino. That's just me. TV, books, music, video games, films, and cotton candy have warped my fragile little mind.

I agree with your thoughts on Pacino. I think he's a fantastic actor, one of the best ever and I truly enjoy virtually all of his work, but I can't picture him as a Bond villain at this point. He certainly could have been terrific as Sanchez in LTK (or a similar character around that time), but I don't really see how he would be right for a Bond villain role now, especially since it's so cliche now to cast him as a villain.

Also, I really like your idea about Bond not being the out-right protagonist of a film. I think that it's a fantastic idea, as it would fit in with the image I've always had of Bond while reading the Fleming novels.