18 replies to this topic

#1 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 09:07 PM

Treyarch, best known for numerous Tony Hawk ports, a couple Spider-Man titles (including the most recent Ultimate Spider-Man), and most recently Call of Duty 2: Big Red One and Call of Duty 3 (currently in development) is developing the next Bond game to be published by Activision.

I heard this rumor a couple days ago, but seeing them post a job opening on their site pretty much solidifies it.

A while back when we were discussing who would be good at developing a Bond title for Activision, I said Gray Metter Interactive - who was merged with Treyarch last year. Gray Matter developed Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Call of Duty: United Offensive (expansion pack to Call of Duty).

Given the titles here, one could make a good guess that the next Bond will be a first-person shooter, but one also never knows.

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 09:52 PM

Nice find, K1.

#3 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 10:47 PM

The gaming sites are reporting this:

http://www.gamasutra...php?story=10072

http://www.gamespot....ws/6154103.html

#4 Fro

Fro

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 11:15 PM

Good news, they're a pretty solid developer.

#5 Agent Spriggan Ominae

Agent Spriggan Ominae

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1068 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 12:06 AM

This is great news. I still would love to see a game based on CR. Hopefully whatever game there are working on will be ready for a release next year perhaps even to coincide with CR's release on blu-ray. PS3 owners would have both a new Bond film and a game to go with it in summer '007.

#6 deth

deth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2651 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 12:40 AM

http://pc.ign.com/ar...8/718891p1.html

interesting that it's listed in the PC games part of the site.... do they know something they're not telling us? I sure hope so. I've been waiting far too long for a decent Bond game for the PC.

Edited by deth, 15 July 2006 - 03:00 AM.

#7 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 01:20 AM

http://pc.ign.com/ar...8/718891p1.html

interesting that it's listed in the PC games art of the site.... do they know something they're not telling us? I sure hope so. I've been waiting far too long for a decent Bond game for the PC.

Well as Gamasutra points out Treyarch's focus is now on next-gen consoles, however, IGN tends to report the 'unknown' for all their sections i.e., those that have a good chance at being for ____ system. I don't think they know anything we don't.

#8 TheCheat

TheCheat

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 494 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 02:50 PM

looks like bond will be moving on to the next generation consoles :tup:

#9 The Richmond Spy

The Richmond Spy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1586 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 04:18 PM

perhaps then it will be time for me to fork out the cash for one. :D

#10 TheCheat

TheCheat

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 494 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 04:24 PM

i know im not ready to do that. those new systems are too expensive except for the wii which looks to be the coolest and most innovative of the systems.

i wonder if future bond games will be developed for the wii system

i love that name

Edited by TheCheat, 18 July 2006 - 04:24 PM.

#11 The Richmond Spy

The Richmond Spy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1586 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 05:00 PM

i know im not ready to do that. those new systems are too expensive except for the wii which looks to be the coolest and most innovative of the systems.

i love that name

I would imagine they'd be developed for the Wii since GC has all of the recent Bond titles. It would be interesting to see how the new controls for the Wii adapt to a Bond game.

#12 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 05:04 PM

i love that name

I would imagine they'd be developed for the Wii since GC has all of the recent Bond titles. It would be interesting to see how the new controls for the Wii adapt to a Bond game.

It would be kind of ridiculous, but technically they could make it work on the GameCube's controller which the Wii is backward compatible with. At E3 they were talking about the newest Smash Bros. game possibly using the GameCube controller for a variety of reasons.

#13 The Richmond Spy

The Richmond Spy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1586 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 05:32 PM

I personally love the GC's controller more than any other and would be delighted if it worked with the Wii for a Bond game. (Especially considering my abundant supply of GC controllers.)

Edited by The Richmond Spy, 18 July 2006 - 05:32 PM.

#14 TonicBH

TonicBH

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 291 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 08:14 PM

The two games I played by Treyarch, Minority Report and Call of Duty 2: Big Red One; were games I disliked due to many flaws.

I fear that's what might happen to Bond unless they win me over with Call of Duty 3.

#15 The Richmond Spy

The Richmond Spy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1586 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 03:32 AM

The two games I played by Treyarch, Minority Report and Call of Duty 2: Big Red One; were games I disliked due to many flaws.

I fear that's what might happen to Bond unless they win me over with Call of Duty 3.

what type of flaws? i haven't played either.

#16 TonicBH

TonicBH

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 291 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 02:04 PM

what type of flaws? i haven't played either.

Minority Report tries to be a Beat-em-up/third-person shooter combo, and kinda fails at the shooter part. Plus no checkpoints, so if you're near the end and killed by stray fire, you start all over from the beginning. Never fun. Other than that, it's okay.

Call of Duty 2: Big Red One is plagued by A.I. problems such as allies standing there, propped behind walls like idiots while the enemy plinks down your health (and some of them even shooting through walls when they can't see you), average graphics for a 2005 game, and basically going against what Call of Duty was known for. In other games, you played as different country at certain points in the game (such as the U.S. Army, the British and the Soviets). Here you just play as the Americans. You could take out the "Call of Duty" moniker and it'd just be another generic WWII FPS. A stark contrast to the other Call of Duty games I played and enjoyed (The original and United Offensive).

This is the same reason why I'm partially skeptical on Treyarch making Call of Duty 3, unless Big Red One was the warmup, and 3 is the performance.

#17 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 04:08 PM

did treyarch develop the True Crime series aswell?

#18 Blonde Bond

Blonde Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2006 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 03:40 PM

It was luxoflux that made true crime games.

Treyarch made such games like Spider-Man 2 & The Ultimate Spider-Man, which I both liked.

I just hope they can make a good bond game, seeing spiderman and James Bond are a whole lotta different licences.

#19 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 05:38 AM

It was luxoflux that made true crime games.

Treyarch made such games like Spider-Man 2 & The Ultimate Spider-Man, which I both liked.

It should be noted that Spider-Man 2 was developed by Treyarch on consoles. I mention this because it was developed by a completely different team for the computer and that version sucks big time.

GameRankings (PC) 43%
GameRankings (e.g., Xbox) 84%

I just don't want anyone to get the wrong impression here if they had played the PC version and not the console version. :)