13 replies to this topic

#1 Solex Agitator

Solex Agitator

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 05:48 AM

Does anyone know who did the illustration of "Dreamy Pines Motor Court" in TSWLM? It is a most curious rarity of the series...

Edited by Solex Agitator, 15 July 2006 - 07:08 AM.

#2 Solex Agitator

Solex Agitator

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 02:51 AM

Either this is really obvious information that I have somehow overlooked or else this is a real stumper! Anyone have any ideas or thoughts on this?

#3 Zographos

Zographos

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 165 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 05:53 AM

I guess you mean this one?

Posted Image

According to Bondian.com, Bill Gregory.

#4 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 06:57 AM

Does anyone know who did the illustration of "Dreamy Pines Motor Court" in TSWLM? It is a most curious rarity of the series...

What illustration are you talking about? The comic strip? That would be Yaroslav Horak, otherwise I have no idea what you're referring to. There are too many possibilities here.

#5 Solex Agitator

Solex Agitator

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 07:04 AM

I scanned and have attempted a number of times to post the image but to no avail! Can anyone help me on this? It is the illustration that appears on the 2 pages following the CONTENTS page of the Ian Fleming novel. It is a pen and ink drawing of the motor court. It can be found in numerous editions of the book. I was merely curious as to who did this drawing as illustrations, to the best of my knowledge, had never before nor since appeared IN a James Bond novel.

Edited by Solex Agitator, 15 July 2006 - 07:24 AM.

#6 Red Grant

Red Grant

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 376 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 12:45 PM

I scanned and have attempted a number of times to post the image but to no avail! Can anyone help me on this? It is the illustration that appears on the 2 pages following the CONTENTS page of the Ian Fleming novel. It is a pen and ink drawing of the motor court. It can be found in numerous editions of the book. I was merely curious as to who did this drawing as illustrations, to the best of my knowledge, had never before nor since appeared IN a James Bond novel.

The illustration only appears in the Jonathan Cape hardback versions of the book. No artist is credited.

#7 MarcAngeDraco

MarcAngeDraco

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3312 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 12:54 PM

The illustration only appears in the Jonathan Cape hardback versions of the book. No artist is credited.

I'm going from memory, but it may be in the James Bond Classic Library hardback, and Signet paperback versions as well...

#8 Solex Agitator

Solex Agitator

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 08:01 PM

I'm going from memory, but it may be in the James Bond Classic Library hardback, and Signet paperback versions as well...

You are correct, sir! It does appear in both the Cape edition and the SIgnet edition most definitely. It appears to be signed but it is in a quick scrawl that I cannot identify.Attached File  TSWLM1.jpg   802.23KB   105 downloads

Edited by Solex Agitator, 16 July 2006 - 05:08 AM.

#9 Solex Agitator

Solex Agitator

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 07:18 AM

So even after I have figured out how to somewhat successfully post said image, no one here at CBn can shed light on the history of said image? We are in the midst of a mystery....

Edited by Solex Agitator, 19 July 2006 - 12:58 AM.

#10 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 18 July 2006 - 08:35 AM

Never knew of this image before, but boy, it's very similar to the way I visualised the place.

#11 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 08:13 AM

Took a look myself, but I couldn't decipher the name either. :tup:

#12 superado

superado

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 07:21 PM

It would be logical to assume that the dustjacket's artist, Richard Chopping, is also responsible for this sketch. Afterall, it looked basic enough, almost diagram-like, that any competent artist could doodle it out without much time or trouble. Also, I don't see why Fleming would commission a 2nd artist to make the sketch unless the Dreamy Pines drawing was an afterthought and Chopping by some circumstance wasn't able to do it.

#13 Solex Agitator

Solex Agitator

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:00 PM

I was thinking about this again today and decided to revive this topic in the hopes of finding a definitive answer.

#14 Solex Agitator

Solex Agitator

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:01 AM

I look forward to your findings, Silhouette Man! Glad to know I am not alone in this mystery!