30 replies to this topic

#1 walther

walther

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 375 posts

Posted 05 November 2001 - 03:18 PM

I know this must be complete BS, knowing the fact that I HATE Tomb Raider, but it's news and must be told. Also, I don't have a pic of the guy, I don't think a Tomb Raider pic deserves a place on my hard drive. Sorry.

Tomb Raider Chronicles says that "Lara Croft: Tomb Raider" villain Iain Glen has been tipped to become the next James Bond.

"I haven't had a direct offer" Glen told Variety, "and I know there are several names being mentioned as possible Bonds. The Bond formula has had such a good life that I'd have to make sure I wasn't getting on board when it had seen its best days."

Asked whether the Scottish born actor could stomach a Vodka Martini, Bonds favorite tipple, Glen countered, "yeah, I don't mind them. The thing is, I think I'm pretty good at knowing when I'll fall flat on my face and when I won't, and I definitely don't want to be seen as the George Lazenby of the 21st century."

Other contenders include singer Robbie Williams, football star turned actor Vinnie Jones, Jude Law and Rupert Everett.

Vinne Jones? I'm sorry Vinne, you're a good actor and all but for Bond? Hell no!

#2 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 05 December 2001 - 06:56 AM

Blue Eyes (05 Dec, 2001 03:34 a.m.):
Not necessarily BondGirl. Brosnan has said he'd like to return, Producers have said they'd like him to return.

Most fans would like him to return!

#3 PaulZ108

PaulZ108

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1569 posts

Posted 06 December 2001 - 03:32 AM

Brosnan is good, but I say it's time to hang up the shoulder holster and turn in the P99 after Bond20. I don't want to see the mistake of hanging on to a Bond for too long after he turns 50 happen again.

#4 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 06 December 2001 - 08:26 AM

PaulZ108 (06 Dec, 2001 03:32 a.m.):
Brosnan is good, but I say it's time to hang up the shoulder holster and turn in the P99 after Bond20.  I don't want to see the mistake of hanging on to a Bond for too long after he turns 50 happen again.

Is it because fans are bored with Brosnan now?

I don't see the point of trying to fix something that's not broken.

#5 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 07 December 2001 - 06:33 AM

It's odd isn't it, that just as Brosnan matures nicely into the role, his once rather too handsome features acquiring a touch of world weariness, there's talk that he's ready for a zimmer frame.
By all means lets speculate about his successor in case he decides to move on, but lets not pension the man off yet.

#6 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 07 December 2001 - 07:51 AM

Hell no, don't pension him off. Brosnan is not Moore. For someone who's 49 he's still got the 45 year old look. He can hold it for at least a few more years. At least Bond 21. 22 just depends on how he ages past 50 really. But modern filming etc... is fantastic so the younger process can be adopted.

#7 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 07 December 2001 - 11:22 AM

Friedrich Baxter (15 Nov, 2001 12:41 a.m.):
What about Jason Connery?! He did a remarkable job in ' Spymaker'  the TNT television movie about Ian Flemings life. Btween brackets, you SHOULD have seen this movie. There are so many elements from ALL the Bond movies in it. It's a James Bond film of the 1930's

I HAVE seen it and it's a hoot. Jason (I got the part cos Sean's my Dad) Connery is wildly miscast and utterly unable to suggest the complexities of Fleming's character - not that the script explores them.
If you want to see a half way decent biopic on Fleming, check out Charles Dance in Goldeneye.

#8 MisterKKBB

MisterKKBB

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 45 posts

Posted 09 December 2001 - 10:08 PM

Vinnie Jones? Robbie Williams? Jude Law? I can't believe there are people who honestly think those actors stand a chance to sip Vodka Martini's. In my opinion you can only take a small percentage seriously. And Ian Glenn is not part of that exclusive group of actors. Members of that club include James Purefoy ("A Knights Tale"), Colin Wells ("Titus") & Clive Owen ("The Hire"). But none of these actors I think could play a perfect Bond. Personally, I think there's only one actor who has the potential (and with potential I mean the chance) of becoming a great 007. And that actor is the talented Jack Davenport ("The Talented Mr Ripley"). But who knows? EON has till Brosnan steps down which will probably happen around 2007 (hmm, what's in a number) to find a replacement. Talk about perfect timing huh?

#9 sainttemplar

sainttemplar

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 191 posts

Posted 10 December 2001 - 04:56 PM

MisterKKBB (09 Dec, 2001 10:08 p.m.):
Vinnie Jones? Robbie Williams? Jude Law? I can't believe there are people who honestly think those actors stand a chance to sip Vodka Martini's. In my opinion you can only take a small percentage seriously. And Ian Glenn is not part of that exclusive group of actors. Members of that club include James Purefoy ("A Knights Tale"), Colin Wells ("Titus") & Clive Owen ("The Hire"). But none of these actors I think could play a perfect Bond. Personally, I think there's only one actor who has the potential (and with potential I mean the chance) of becoming a great 007. And that actor is the talented Jack Davenport ("The Talented Mr Ripley"). But who knows? EON has till Brosnan steps down which will probably happen around 2007 (hmm, what's in a number) to find a replacement. Talk about perfect timing huh?

I really like davenport and wouldn't rule him out but he hasn't really got the physicality or,more importantly, the strength of personality yet.I like Purefoy and Wells and I'm going increasingly fond of gray O Brien who did a big action sequence on his tv show recently.O Brien has frequently stated he wants the job and he looks uncannily like the cyber bond in Agent Under Fire.At the moment though put your money on Owen,Northam,Wells and Purefoy for when Brozzer leaves( hopefully IMMEDIATELY after B20).

#10 bondgirl

bondgirl

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 December 2001 - 05:28 PM

sainttemplar (10 Dec, 2001 04:56 p.m.):
when Brozzer leaves( hopefully IMMEDIATELY after B20).

You are pathetic. Your wish is not granted!

#11 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 10 December 2001 - 08:34 PM

I'm growing increasingly fond of gray O Brien who did a big action sequence on his tv show recently.O Brien has frequently stated he wants the job and he looks uncannily like the cyber bond in Agent Under Fire.At the moment though put your money on Owen,Northam,Wells and Purefoy for when Brozzer leaves( hopefully IMMEDIATELY after B20).

I'm not familiar with Gray O'Brien, but I found a pic at www.philsworld.fsnet.co.uk/photos/grayobrien
He looks OK, a cross between Brosnan and Connery.
But why the rush to pension Pierce off?
He's in good shape, looks ten years younger than his chronological age, has a great handle on the character and seems willing to continue for the nonce.

#12 MisterKKBB

MisterKKBB

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 45 posts

Posted 11 December 2001 - 12:00 AM

Hmm, there's an suggestion I haven't heard before. Gray O'Brian is certainly an interesting choice. Unfortunately I'm not familiar with his work. Based purely on looks and movie experience (or lack of) I have to go with Davenport though. He has a lot of screenpresence I think. When I first saw him in "Ripley" he really made me took notice. He was also good in "The Wisdom of Crocodiles" & "Talos the Mummy" (and that's quite a compliment considering the poor quality of the flicks). O'Brian is one for the list though. But I hope Brosnan sticks around for at least three movies. He's getting better and better at playing Bond. And his range is amazing (just watch him play simular characters entirely different in "The Thomas Crown Affair" & "The Tailor of Panama"). But it never hurts to look, right?

#13 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 11 December 2001 - 06:09 PM

I note that Gray O'Brien is a golfer.
About time Bond played a round again.

#14 sainttemplar

sainttemplar

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 191 posts

Posted 13 December 2001 - 12:08 PM

bondgirl (10 Dec, 2001 05:28 p.m.):

when Brozzer leaves( hopefully IMMEDIATELY after B20).

You are pathetic. Your wish is not granted!

well its hard to reason with mature well crafted arguments like that.
However I don't think that Brosnan's decision to leave or MGM's to replace him is in your power to grant or deny

#15 sainttemplar

sainttemplar

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 191 posts

Posted 13 December 2001 - 12:11 PM

MisterKKBB (11 Dec, 2001 12:00 a.m.):
Hmm, there's an suggestion I haven't heard before. Gray O'Brian is certainly an interesting choice. Unfortunately I'm not familiar with his work. Based purely on looks and movie experience (or lack of) I have to go with Davenport though. He has a lot of screenpresence I think. When I first saw him in "Ripley" he really made me took notice. He was also good in "The Wisdom of Crocodiles" & "Talos the Mummy" (and that's quite a compliment considering the poor quality of the flicks). O'Brian is one for the list though. But I hope Brosnan sticks around for at least three movies. He's getting better and better at playing Bond. And his range is amazing (just watch him play simular characters entirely different in "The Thomas Crown Affair" & "The Tailor of Panama"). But it never hurts to look, right?

Scots actor Gray has spoken of his wish to play 007 for years and got his wish " sort of" in THE DYING OF THE LIGHT.He played Bond in a fantasy sequence.

#16 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 14 December 2001 - 07:30 AM

sainttemplar (13 Dec, 2001 12:11 p.m.):
[Scots actor Gray [O'Brien] has spoken of his wish to play 007 for years and got his wish " sort of" in THE DYING OF THE LIGHT.He played Bond in a fantasy sequence.

...and was he any good?

#17 sainttemplar

sainttemplar

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 191 posts

Posted 19 December 2001 - 02:58 PM

White Persian (14 Dec, 2001 07:30 a.m.):

sainttemplar (13 Dec, 2001 12:11 p.m.):
[Scots actor Gray [O'Brien] has spoken of his wish to play 007 for years and got his wish " sort of" in THE DYING OF THE LIGHT.He played Bond in a fantasy sequence.

...and was he any good?

well its been a while since I saw it but I recall he was Ok.Certainly he's a good actor and was partially the "model" for the cyber bond in AUF.

#18 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 05 November 2001 - 03:46 PM

It's amazing how other films will use the Bond connection as part of their promotion, even if it is a little tenuous (like here).

For all the carping about Bond being production line stuff, here we have the Tomb Raider PR talking about Iain Glen as "being considered" as the next James Bond, in the context of promoting another movie. Would you got to see it because you were interested in that? Why say it at all if you don't think it's going to interest people?

Likewise Dracula 2000. Anyone see it? But would anyone have even heard of it had the "Gerard Butler is the new James Bond" thing even been uttered.

It does seem that Bond has a currency (a very bad pun; sorry) but it's a currency used by other companies to promote their films. Which is a little odd.

#19 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts

Posted 05 November 2001 - 11:34 PM

Jim (05 Nov, 2001 03:46 p.m.):
It's amazing how other films will use the Bond connection as part of their promotion, even if it is a little tenuous (like here).

For all the carping about Bond being production line stuff, here we have the Tomb Raider PR talking about Iain Glen as "being considered" as the next James Bond, in the context of promoting another movie. Would you got to see it because you were interested in that? Why say it at all if you don't think it's going to interest people?

Likewise Dracula 2000. Anyone see it? But would anyone have even heard of it had the "Gerard Butler is the new James Bond" thing even been uttered.

It does seem that Bond has a currency (a very bad pun; sorry) but it's a currency used by other companies to promote their films. Which is a little odd.

It's just like when a studio makes a turkey, and don't know how to promote it. So they trundle out PR Recovery Attempt No. 1:

"From the Director of ......."

or

From the Producer(s) of......"

John Glen's last offering is a case in point.

#20 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts

Posted 06 November 2001 - 08:00 AM

walther (05 Nov, 2001 03:18 p.m.):
Other contenders include singer Robbie Williams, football star turned actor Vinnie Jones, Jude Law and Rupert Everett.

During this time of rampant conjecture, I wouldn't be surprised if Ronald McDonald or Frosty The Snowman gets a mention.

Mind you, ice.....snow.....Frosty's in with a chance!

#21 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 07 November 2001 - 11:14 AM

walther (05 Nov, 2001 03:18 p.m.):
Other contenders include ... Rupert Everett.

Wasn't Rupert Everett trying to mount (sorry) a gay Bond parody a couple of years ago. I remember one mag suggested the villain might be a cross between Blofeld and Oddjob.
Wonder what happened.

#22 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 07 November 2001 - 01:22 PM

[quote]blofelds_cat (05 Nov, 2001 11:37 p.m.):
[quote]

It's just like when a studio makes a turkey, and don't know how to promote it. So they trundle out PR Recovery Attempt No. 1:

"From the Director of ......."

or

From the Producer(s) of......"

John Glen's last offering is a case in point.[/quote]

What was John Glen's last offering anyway?

Point taken, but my point (if unclear) was that the PR is based on a rumour, which they probably create themselves.

They could just as easily announce that Iain Glen was going to be the next X or Y, but very frequently, "the next Bond" is picked. This surely must mean that people are still interested in James Bond.

Which is reassuring. If a little parasitic, that they can't promote the merits of their own film but feed off the forty years of (mostly) hard work by EON.

#23 Evil Doctor Cheese

Evil Doctor Cheese

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1019 posts

Posted 07 November 2001 - 01:36 PM

Gay Bond parody? It's been done before...albeit in the pørn industry but still done before!

I think Rupert Everett doesn't look like Bond to me. He's a bit stocky and I don't think women find him that attractive...but then do they find Brosnan attractive?

#24 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts

Posted 10 November 2001 - 01:02 AM

Evil Doctor Cheese (07 Nov, 2001 01:36 p.m.):
Gay Bond parody? It's been done before...albeit in the pørn industry....!

Oh yeh? You revealling another side to your character Doc?:)

#25 Friedrich Baxter

Friedrich Baxter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 426 posts

Posted 15 November 2001 - 12:29 AM

Why are we already talking about this! Maybe Pierce Brosnan is still in the mood to sign a contract for two more Bond movies, if the producers pay him a lot more money?

I think, Pierce Brosnan should make SEVEN Bond movies, just like Sean Connery (including the unofficial) and Roger Moore. Only then you are a real Bond actor. George Lazenby was far too arrogant to sign the seven Bond movie contract and about Timothy Dalton, he had to deal with problems within MGM/UA. But Pierce Brosnan is in the ideal possition to be totally accepted by the public

If necessary, we must sign petitions. But it's not that far!

#26 Friedrich Baxter

Friedrich Baxter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 426 posts

Posted 15 November 2001 - 12:41 AM

What about Jason Connery?! He did a remarkable job in ' Spymaker' the TNT television movie about Ian Flemings life. Btween brackets, you SHOULD have seen this movie. There are so many elements from ALL the Bond movies in it. It's a Jaems Bond film of the 1930's

#27 sainttemplar

sainttemplar

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 191 posts

Posted 15 November 2001 - 01:25 PM

[quote]Jim (05 Nov, 2001 03:46 p.m.):

For all the carping about Bond being production line stuff, here we have the Tomb Raider PR talking about Iain Glen as "being considered" as the next James Bond, in the context of promoting another movie.(/quote)

The Tomb Raider movie was a huge financial success before the Glen rumours started.Therefore it seems unlikely that the info was to promote TR.
Similarly,and despite whatever Spacebabe's friends tell her,Dracula 2000 had already been released in the US when Butler was mentioned in the press.Also the link had been talked about at Pinewood long before the tabloids ran it.So it was too late to promote movies in both cases.

#28 PaulZ108

PaulZ108

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1569 posts

Posted 04 December 2001 - 03:44 AM

Odd...it occured to me that he could be a good Bond when watching the movie. In the DVD documentaries there's several comments such as "Lara's got all the things we love about James Bond..."

#29 bondgirl

bondgirl

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 December 2001 - 04:22 AM

He will not. Brosnan is returning for Bond21.

#30 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 05 December 2001 - 03:34 AM

Not necessarily BondGirl. Brosnan has said he'd like to return, Producers have said they'd like him to return. That doesn't mean that they'll be able to negotiate a new contract.

That said, it's likely that he will return though.