This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Could Timothy Dalton play James Bond again?

47 replies to this topic

#1 Felix_Leiter

Felix_Leiter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 482 posts

Posted 13 May 2002 - 05:48 PM

Now I don't want to get off in a rant here (In a Dennis Miller voice) but I for one would like to see this happen. It is in theory possibly, hell Roger Moore played James Bond when he was 58 in AVTAK, and Timothy Dalton doesn't really seem to be aging badly at all. He and Pierce Brosnan are quite close in age. I'm not saying have Dalton become Bond again for the next five films or something, just one. LTK was great, but he didn't really get to end his Bond career, it was silenced. Let him suit up in the tux one more time and get some closure. It would be a great treat for all his fans. But who knows? I could be wrong. What do you think?

#2 Hardyboy

Hardyboy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 472 posts

Posted 13 May 2002 - 05:55 PM

Interesting, Felix, but I don't think it would work. The Bond purist in me feels that Dalton was the best-cast of all the actors to play 007, and I'm sorry he didn't get to play Bond at least one more time; but the sad fact of the matter is that EON stands to gain nothing by bringing him back. Pierce Brosnan has delivered the most financially successful films in the series, and the public on both sides of the Atlantic have embraced him as Bond--I doubt that EON would want to turn back the clock, and certainly MGM/UA would reject the idea of bringing back an actor they largely view as a failure. Then again, there is the age thing. . .even though Dalton has aged well, growing more rugged-looking, he'd be over 60 by the time he'd get a chance to play Bond again. I'm not sure the public would go for that. How 'bout this, though. . .Tim Dalton to play Allan Quatermain in a faithful remake of "King Solomon's Mines"?

#3 Felix_Leiter

Felix_Leiter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 482 posts

Posted 13 May 2002 - 06:18 PM

That would be great!

#4 RITZ

RITZ

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 13 May 2002 - 09:19 PM

I don't see why Dalton can't make one more Connery-style comeback - i'd pay loads to see it!

I think the Dalton fans of CBN should design a "Bring Back Dalton" petition or something for everyone to sign and then send it to the Bond film producers aswell as Dalton's fan club/official website. I think its a great idea - anyone up for it?

#5 ronson

ronson

Cadet

• Crew
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 May 2002 - 09:12 AM

What a corker of a topic. Daltons' Bond was the closest to Flemings' Bond and it would be good to see him as Bond again, just so long as the film isn't a poor rip-off of Thunderball (I wonder where that outburst came from!)

#6 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 14 May 2002 - 09:47 PM

I think Dalton should play Bond in a remake of one of those awful '70s films. Diamonds Are Forever, or Live and Let Die, or The Man with the Golden Gun, or Moonraker are all (in my not-so-humble opinion) viable candidates for remakes because they are unfaithful to good novels, and Connery/Moore seemed to be playing a screwy version of Bond (perhaps not in Moonraker, but whatever).

However Dalton should not be doing a film set after Brosnan's films.

#7 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 14 May 2002 - 11:22 PM

No

Too old

#8 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 14 May 2002 - 11:23 PM

Not worth the double post, frankly Mr Shankly

#9 ray t

ray t

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1394 posts

Posted 24 May 2002 - 03:12 PM

Dalton did a terrific job as bond.

He, however, should not play bond agian.

Too Old...

...I'd rather see a Hugh Jackman, an Ewan McGregor, an Adrian Paul, a Clive Owen or someone of that age group have a go at the role between 2006/2008 to 2016/2019

by the way....
--------------------------------------------------
[quote]General Koskov (14 May, 2002 10:47 p.m.):
I think Dalton should play ... in a remake of one of those awful '70s films. Diamonds Are Forever, or Live and Let Die, or The Man with the Golden Gun, or Moonraker
-------------------------

i'll have to disagree with some of what you said there, my friend.

Moonraker, in the summer of 1979 when i saw it on the BIG SCREEN, was a GLOBE-TROTTING EPIC!
If they 'remade' it, which they wouldnt, it would be EXTREMELY COSTLY. I'd preffer if they had a DVD version that cut out two or three "silly" bits form the original version. Such as jaws trying to fly in the mind-blowing pre-titles and the accompanying comedic music. or the double-taking pigeon.

------------------------
------------------------
are all (in my not-so-humble opinion) viable candidates for remakes because they are unfaithful to good novels, and Connery/Moore seemed to be playing a screwy version of Bond (perhaps not in Moonraker, but whatever).
------------------------

Oh...and TSWLM was TOTTALY FAITHFUL to the novel? Right? :)

sorry. you were referring to "GOOD" novels. I love Flemings work, but he wasnt a GOD! DAF, the book, had a lot of decent bits to it especially the first few pages of "the pipeline opens" with the scorpion...but, dare i say it, the movie (which i agree is one of the weakest in the series) is AN IMPROVEMENT on the Fleming plot and characters, in my humble opinion..... :)

#10 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 24 May 2002 - 07:28 AM

Isn't he now as old or nearly as old as Roger Moore was when he made A View to a Kill? Why on earth would EON want to do this?

He had his shot.

#11 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 23 May 2002 - 11:59 AM

Totally agree with Hardyboy. Absolutely no commercial incentive whatsoever for the Bond people to even consider asking Dalton back. The man's not exactly box office dynamite, which Connery WAS when he did Diamonds Are Forever. Also, Connery's "comeback" came only four years after he had last played Bond. Arguably, he'd never really stopped being Bond but had just decided to "sit out" OHMSS.
MGM and Eon don't make the James Bond films for us hardcore fans and purists, they make them for the general public, and 99% of the teens-to-mid-twenties target audience probably have never even heard of Dalton.
File hopes of a Dalton comeback alongside all of the other old chestnuts that keep getting revived as rumours in the film industry, such as Sean Connery playing a future Bond villain, or Indiana Jones 4's gonna happen.

#12 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 25 May 2002 - 06:45 AM

I know Fleming isn't a God. At least not yet...:)

I also agree that Diamonds Are Forever was certainly not the material Eon needed for films after On Her Majesty’s Secret Service et cetera. However, the big mistake was filming You Only Live Twice first. That [cuss]ed up the next film after On Her Majesty’s Secret Service.

Anyway, I still stand firmly that Dalton would be good in a remake of The Man with the Golden Gun or possibly You Only Live Twice. I've got a (I think) super idea for Moonraker, so that's my main reason for wanting it to be remade. (Basically exchange ICBM for 'space shuttle' in the book's plot and add in the PTS, centrifuge, toxic gas...and you have a better film.) Pity Moore was so good in that one.

#13 RITZ

RITZ

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 25 May 2002 - 08:45 PM

If good old Tim made one more comeback as 007, It will make my dreams come true! Dalton looks great at the moment, maybe a bit plump, but i'm sure he can get into shape.

I would be the first to see it....I'd pay anything!!!!!!!

#14 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 23 May 2002 - 12:30 PM

I can't see Dalton coming back, but I could see Brosnan doing a 'Connery in DAF" and coming back for one more film to save the series after a medicore one-time Bond Number 6 makes a mess of things. :)

#15 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 26 May 2002 - 02:19 AM

ray t (24 May, 2002 04:34 p.m.):
Oh...and TSWLM was TOTTALY FAITHFUL to the novel? Right? :)

Eon had no choice, Fleming was embarrased by the reviews of The Spy Who Loved Me. Anyway the novelisation read pretty much like a Fleming. :)

sorry. you were referring to "GOOD" novels.

Whoa! Let's not go to far! :) The Spy Who Loved Me is a fantastically well-written book. I don't like the first-person, and it's rather short (it'd make a good PTS), but it's not the 'brutal, sadistic, digusting book' critics would make us think.

#16 WarBird

WarBird

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 370 posts

Posted 19 July 2002 - 03:13 AM

I think he is to old to play bond again. If he did come back again for the next five movies, he's old now, how old will he be when he's in the 3rd or 4rd movie of his contract if he came back. He would be a bond that would look to old to get these women and be able the do the things the younger bonds are doing.

#17 Desslar

Desslar

Cadet

• Crew
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 July 2002 - 07:44 AM

Dalton would be about 60 by the next film, way too old. Even now he's got hardly any hair. He was a great Bond while it lasted though.

#18 RossMan

RossMan

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 22 July 2002 - 09:10 PM

I would love to see Dalton return as Bond. I'd especially like to see him in faithful adaptations of Fleming's YOLT or TMWTGG.

#19 PaulZ108

PaulZ108

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1569 posts

Posted 22 July 2002 - 09:42 PM

Dalton was a great Bond and I wouldn't have minded seeing him in GoldenEye (why do I feel like I shouldn't have said that...), but I think it's a little late now for him to come back.

#20 RossMan

RossMan

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 22 July 2002 - 09:56 PM

Originally posted by PaulZ108
Dalton was a great Bond and I wouldn't have minded seeing him in GoldenEye (why do I feel like I shouldn't have said that...), but I think it's a little late now for him to come back.

I'm repeating myself but I really wouldn't mind at all if Datlon were still Bond and he were the one ushering in the twentieth movie, or at least that rumored "third Dalton movie", maybe explaining just how he got back into the Service after giving M his resignation and knocking down a few other agents in the process in LTK.

#21 Tedley King

Tedley King

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 22 July 2002 - 10:53 PM

Although Iwould like to see Dalton return to the Bond franchise as Bond I admit he is a little old. However, I think that maybe he could return in a different role. For example if Cleese leaves the role of 'Q' or has an unfortunate accident, then maybe we could have him becoming the new 'Q', as a much younger 'Q'. Like Llewllyn in FRWL. Then he too can be in man more films, maybe more than Llewllyn's 17 out of 19! After all, it could have been more if there wasn't the legal battle going on for 6 years.
BESIDES when asked if he wanted to return as Bond in '94 he refused and so they then went to Brosnan, who's contract with Remington Steel had ended, I believe.

#22 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 22 July 2002 - 11:21 PM

He does. :)

Every time I watch The Living Daylights and Licence to Kill.

And that's as far as it will ever go with Tim playing Bond.

#23 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 23 July 2002 - 06:50 PM

Dalton could play Bond again, here is a possible scenario:

The people who make Bond somehow make the top execs at MGM really mad and they begin to resent Bond and want nothing to do with it anymore. A decision is suddenly made out of the blue that despite hid success as Bond, Pierce Brosnan will not be asked back. In order to do what no one else has come to close to doing besides that one man, they make the decision to kill James Bond. In a scenario similar to that which the play The Producers was about, they purposely make a movie to kill a franchise. Getting Dalton back would enable him to finish the job he started in the 80s, castrating and then finally killing James Bond. Yeah, that would do it, all right.

#24 Dalton

Dalton

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 196 posts

Posted 24 July 2002 - 10:04 PM

Timothy Dalton gave one of the most faithful cinematic portrayals of James Bond. After the 6 year hiatus between LTK & GE, I was hoping that he'd come back. When he declined the offer to return in '93, (although I was pleased that Brosnan had got the roll), I still longed to see another Dalton Bond.

Although i'd have killed (and would still like to see a 3rd Dalton Bond) to see Tim back in the Tux. That's not gonna happen.

BLOFELD'S CAT said it best. He'll live on as Bond through his contribution to the series.

#25 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 06 August 2002 - 02:50 PM

Well, instead of Bond, you Dalton fans had to settle for Dalton doing his best--or was it his worst?--Clark Gable in Scarlett. Yeah, that was the ticket.

#26 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 06 August 2002 - 04:30 PM

Now you're just trying to start arguments, its sad really.

#27 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 06 August 2002 - 07:47 PM

Yeah. You'd never catch me doing that!

#28 Mousey

Mousey

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 215 posts

Posted 06 August 2002 - 10:01 PM

I absolutely see no reason why not.

Sean returned in NSNA.
George was an unidentified tuxedoed secret agent in The Return Of The Man From UNCLE.
There are also talks of Roger playing a secret agent playing Campion Bond.

Although it may be living in the past for them, I don't see why Dalton cannot make that sort of return.

#29 Byron

Byron

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 08 August 2002 - 01:08 PM

I agree with you.

If Dalton cannot be Bond again, he should
make a movie like "Entrapment". I actually think
Entrapment was partly based on the proposed third
Dalton film. There were many similarities.

And Zeta Jones would have been excellent as Connie Webb. Almost
the same role in a way.

#30 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 08 August 2002 - 01:59 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bondpurist
Yeah. You'd never catch me doing that! [/QUOTE00]

We'll let the evidence on the boards speak for themselves.