New 007 Contenders

26 replies to this topic

#1 GT

GT

Recruit

• Crew
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 April 2001 - 10:10 AM

The list just keeps growing, but here are my choices for the top Bond contenders to chose from:
- Adrian Paul
- Colin Wells
- Russell Crowe
- Rufus Sewell
- Gerard Butler
- Clive Owen
- Trevor Goddard
- Jack Davenport
- Christian Bale
- Ioan Gruffudd
- Jeremy Northam
- Dougray Scott
- James Purefoy
- Hugh Jackman
This is going to be a tough decision for studio execs. Glad I don't have to make this choice.

#2 Jacques Nexus

Jacques Nexus

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 10 June 2001 - 12:31 PM

White Persian (09 Jun, 2001 11:33 p.m.):
Malheureusement non. Wasn't impressed with Colin Wells in The New Professionals (or much else, apart from the always reliable Edward Woodward and the lovely Lexa Doig -potential Bond girl?).

I've got a picture of Lexa Doig on my fridge at home...she'll make a good Bond girl. I once looked up her acting resume on the net. One of her many hobbies/skills is firearms and athletic sports. Sounds like a real life Bond girl to me.

#3 Jacques Nexus

Jacques Nexus

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 10 June 2001 - 12:38 PM

GT (25 Apr, 2001 07:42 p.m.):
This is the first I heard of Mark Frankel's death.
I am very saddened by it. I was a big fan of 'Fortune Hunter' and always thought while watching it that this guy had mega-potential to be James Bond one day.

I agree completely. I even remember an episode starring Barbara Carrera as the archvillain. You can't get more 007esque than that !.

#4 Jacques Nexus

Jacques Nexus

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 10 June 2001 - 12:51 PM

Here's another name to add to the list:
ALEXANDER SIDDIG
He played Dr Julian Bashir in STAR TREK:DS9. Once he played a 007 style character in a holodeck episode called "Our Man Bashir". It was a 007 spoof (60's style); Siddig and the story were really cool. If Siddig toughened himself up and gained some weight, he may have potential. Don't know his nationality but he sounds British.
In past eras there's been a chosen one to fill the breech (Moore & Brosnan) but presently such a person is not on the list.

THE CHOSEN ONE IS STILL TO BE DISCOVERED.

#5 francis

francis

Cadet

• Crew
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 June 2001 - 12:32 PM

Blue Eyes (10 Jun, 2001 01:52 a.m.):
That makes you the first person to say he'd be no good Persian!! Cograts :)

Why Co(N)grats?compared to most of the names on the list Wells is eminently suitable.

#6 francis

francis

Cadet

• Crew
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 June 2001 - 12:35 PM

Jacques Nexus (10 Jun, 2001 01:51 p.m.):
Here's another name to add to the list:
ALEXANDER SIDDIG
He played Dr Julian Bashir in STAR TREK:DS9. Once he played a 007 style character in a holodeck episode called "Our Man Bashir". It was a 007 spoof (60's style); Siddig and the story were really cool. If Siddig toughened himself up and gained some weight, he may have potential. Don't know his nationality but he sounds British.
In past eras there's been a chosen one to fill the breech (Moore & Brosnan) but presently such a person is not on the list.

Siddig isn't handsome enough at all!Too simian looking.If there is a "chosen one"-by which I assume you mean an heir apparent- surely Jeremy Northam is the obvious one.

#7 francis

francis

Cadet

• Crew
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 June 2001 - 12:39 PM

Jacques Nexus (25 Apr, 2001 01:27 p.m.):

Blue Eyes (25 Apr, 2001 01:02 a.m.):
Out of those (and actually the ones I know) I could see these people being considered:

- Adrian Paul
- Colin Wells
- Gerard Butler
- Clive Owen
- Dougray Scott

Dougray Scott has, however, already ruled himself out. I can't remember the exact news but I think he was offered at some stage and said no.

I don't know Gerard Butler and I think Dougray Scott is completely inappropriate for Bond. Clive Owen is getting rave reviews in "CROUPIER" and my local paper thinks he's a good candidate, although I haven't seen him yet. Colin Wells is my candidate; I liked him in the NEW PROFESSIONALS. The best candidate is a guy who unfortunately died some years ago, Mark Frankel; he played a 007-like former spy in a tv show called FORTUNE HUNTER. He also did KINDRED on tv, in case you're wondering who he is.

I agree Mark would have made a wonderful Bond and undoubtedly had a future in the business before his tragic death.

#8 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 13 June 2001 - 08:43 AM

But that's just because "most of the names on the list' are even worse.

#9 francis

francis

Cadet

• Crew
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 June 2001 - 01:18 PM

Well if you think these people are so bad name someone better.At least there are no Yanks on the list.That would kill it stone dead.

#10 Jacques Nexus

Jacques Nexus

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 13 June 2001 - 02:41 PM

francis (12 Jun, 2001 01:35 p.m.):

Jacques Nexus (10 Jun, 2001 01:51 p.m.):

Siddig isn't handsome enough at all!Too simian looking.If there is a "chosen one"-by which I assume you mean an heir apparent- surely Jeremy Northam is the obvious one.

If this Jeremy Northam is an obvious choice...how come I've never heard of him ?...post a pic of him.

#11 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 13 June 2001 - 11:32 PM

Sorry, Francis, I missed the second page. My comment referred back to Colin Wells.
Of those mentioned, I think the following might be O.K. -
Adrian Paul
Hugh Jackman
Christian Bale ( in about ten years)
and maybe
Jeremy Northam (he was in Mimic)
James Purefoy
Bond is surprisingly difficult to cast well. You have a certain physical appearence to conform to (which harks back to Fleming),
an ability to perform well in action scenes, a certain combination of sophistication and virility,the ability to actually act and a charisma that jumps off the screen.
Not easy!

#12 WhitePersian

WhitePersian

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 50 posts

Posted 15 July 2001 - 09:36 PM

Clive Owen has been mentioned as a potential Bond. I'm not sold on him as 007, but I've just read that he's front runner to play another cult British Spy..."Number 6" in the long touted movie version of "The Prisoner", originally played by Bond shortlisted Patrick Mcgoohan. This strikes me as *very* good casting if it happens.

#13 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 24 April 2001 - 05:20 PM

Can somebody find some pictures of these people?

#14 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 25 April 2001 - 12:02 AM

Out of those (and actually the ones I know) I could see these people being considered:

- Adrian Paul
- Colin Wells
- Gerard Butler
- Clive Owen
- Dougray Scott

Dougray Scott has, however, already ruled himself out. I can't remember the exact news but I think he was offered at some stage and said no.

#15 Tanner

Tanner

Cadet

• Crew
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 April 2001 - 08:11 AM

How about Greg Wise? Apparently he was considered for the role pre-Goldeneye, and the Bond team does have a habit of going back to previously auditioned actors some years later (i.e. Moore, Dalton and Brosnan)?

#16 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 25 April 2001 - 09:14 AM

What's he been in?

#17 Jacques Nexus

Jacques Nexus

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 25 April 2001 - 12:27 PM

Blue Eyes (25 Apr, 2001 01:02 a.m.):

- Adrian Paul
- Colin Wells
- Gerard Butler
- Clive Owen
- Dougray Scott

I don't know Gerard Butler and I think Dougray Scott is completely inappropriate for Bond. Clive Owen is getting rave reviews in "CROUPIER" and my local paper thinks he's a good candidate, although I haven't seen him yet. Colin Wells is my candidate; I liked him in the NEW PROFESSIONALS. The best candidate is a guy who unfortunately died some years ago, Mark Frankel; he played a 007-like former spy in a tv show called FORTUNE HUNTER. He also did KINDRED on tv, in case you're wondering who he is.

#18 GT

GT

Recruit

• Crew
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 April 2001 - 06:42 PM

This is the first I heard of Mark Frankel's death.
I am very saddened by it. I was a big fan of 'Fortune Hunter' and always thought while watching it that this guy had mega-potential to be James Bond one day.

#19 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 26 April 2001 - 01:22 AM

Nexus could you perhaps please get me a scan of the article from your local paper?

#20 RS007

RS007

Recruit

• Crew
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 May 2001 - 08:38 PM

There are no actors that are well known right now to fit the part. What I think is that they should find someone who looks the part and has very good acting potential. By the way, Bond is a BRITISH secret agent and should only be replaced by a british or british looking actor!!! Who cares anyway right nowall I'm looking forward to is Pierce doing Bond for as long as possible cause he is BOND....JAMES BOND.

#21 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 30 May 2001 - 11:29 PM

British looking, able to do the accent and ... not American ;p

#22 King Connery

King Connery

Recruit

• Crew
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 June 2001 - 12:35 PM

I think the best candidate has been missed from the list. Surely Sean Pertwee would be a good bet. OK you've got to try and forget his old man being doctor who, but I think he would be an excellent choice.

#23 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 01 June 2001 - 07:46 PM

Can some people please try and find some pictures of these people?

Thanks.

#24 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 02 June 2001 - 12:57 PM

That would be nice. I have no idea who some of them are :)

#25 francis

francis

Cadet

• Crew
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 June 2001 - 11:50 AM

http://www.geocities.../djigen245.html

#26 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 09 June 2001 - 10:33 PM

Malheureusement non. Wasn't impressed with Colin Wells in The New Professionals (or much else, apart from the always reliable Edward Woodward and the lovely Lexa Doig -potential Bond girl?). There's something way too "boyish" about him(Wells, that is). Bond needs a certain degree of world weariness or cynicism.

#27 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 10 June 2001 - 12:52 AM

That makes you the first person to say he'd be no good Persian!! Cograts :)