26 replies to this topic

#1 Tim007

Tim007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4821 posts

Posted 25 June 2001 - 03:22 PM

I've written it to Dave yesterday, but no reaction. Please visit the following link.

http://www.dailyreco...OTR/P24S2.shtml

It's a report which confirms, that Gerard Butler IS the next James Bond. The actor confirmed it himself! Also CNN had a report about that!

Regards,
Tim

#2 Mr Trump

Mr Trump

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 274 posts

Posted 29 June 2001 - 09:19 PM

Bond20 received some attention on the U.K. show Film 2001 this week. The report commented on the Butler rumour but didn't have anything new to say. For anyone interested here is what presenter Jonathon Ross had to say:

Filming will start for "Bond 20" with Pierce Brosnan early next year despite ongoing rumours as to who will be the next 007. Russell Crowe, Colin Firth, Robbie Williams and even Catherine Zeta Jones have all been bandied about as potential candidates. This week the latest name to make the tabloids is "Dracula 2001"'s Gerard Butler, but Eon Productions have flatly denied it. While Butler may know how to make an entrance, is there really an opening for him as 007? Pierce Brosnan has said that he's still up for a few more movies. I suggest that we take his word as his bond.

(I'm also going to post Jonathon Ross' comments on Pearl Harbour on Dave's topic in general discussion.)

#3 WhitePersian

WhitePersian

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 50 posts

Posted 01 July 2001 - 11:11 AM

Maybe it'll help get all this nonsense into perspective if I recall a few of the actors I can remember being "announced" as the next James Bond.......
ADAM (Batman) WEST for OHMSS.
LEE MARVIN also for OHMSS
ROGER MOORE for OHMSS
ERIC BRAEDEN for OHMSS or DAF
DARREN McGAVIN for DAF
PAUL NEWMAN for DAF
CLINT EASTWOOD for DAF
JOHN GAVIN was actually signed for DAF
BURT REYNOLDS for LALD
NOEL TREVARTHEN for LALD
FREDERICK STAFFORD for LALD
OLIVER TOBIAS for OCTOPUSSY
JOHN JAMES (US soapy star) for OP
JAMES BROLIN for OP
LARRY HAGMAN for OP
PIERCE BROSNAN for TLD... well almost true.
ANDREW (Man From Snowy River) CLARKE
(claimed to have turned down 7 film contract) for TLD
FINLEY (who dat?) LIGHT for TLD
Some guy from Dynasty whose name eludes me for TLD
MEL GIBSON for GOLDENEYE
To say nothing of the clearly nonsensical stories about EDDIE MURPHY, SHARON STONE, CATHERINE ZETA JONES, MATTHEW PERRY etc.

What it boils down to is don't believe a thing till EON hold a press conference.

#4 Iceman

Iceman

Cadet

• Crew
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 August 2001 - 11:51 AM

I think he will be the next James Bond. He, like Sean Connery and George Lazenby after him were both little known. That is what Danjaq and EON do. Other actors/actresses which were unknown before their appearence in a Bond film would be Desmond Llewelyn, Isabella Scorrupco, Famke Janssen (actually nearly all the Bond girls) and Gert Frobe (actually nearly all the Bond villians)!! This is a kind of traditoin by EON and Danjaq. Gerard Butler is also little known so i think he will be chosen. He is young (32 i think) whereas Pierce was 48 earlier this year!! Ian Fleming wrote that Bond would be "35 forever" so i think 48 would be a little over the top, especially if filming next year goes into Pierce's 49 birthday!! Then about 50 when it comes out on video!! He's going to go soon!

#5 sainttemplar

sainttemplar

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 191 posts

Posted 29 August 2001 - 02:13 PM

Iceman (23 Aug, 2001 12:51 p.m.):
I think he will be the next James Bond. He, like Sean Connery and George Lazenby after him were both little known. That is what Danjaq and EON do. Other actors/actresses which were unknown before their appearence in a Bond film would be Desmond Llewelyn, Isabella Scorrupco, Famke Janssen (actually nearly all the Bond girls) and Gert Frobe (actually nearly all the Bond villians)!! This is a kind of traditoin by EON and Danjaq. Gerard Butler is also little known so i think he will be chosen. He is young (32 i think) whereas Pierce was 48 earlier this year!! Ian Fleming wrote that Bond would be "35 forever" so i think 48 would be a little over the top, especially if filming next year goes into Pierce's 49 birthday!! Then about 50 when it comes out on video!! He's going to go soon!

I think Gerard might have blown it by talking about it.However I do agree with your points in principle.Certainly Butler would have made a good 007 and Brosnan is certainly getting a little long in the tooth.

#6 James Page

James Page

Lt. Commander

• Crew
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

Posted 29 August 2001 - 06:45 PM

The report ended with:
"and even Catherine Zeta Jones"

...and lost any credability it had left.

#7 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 29 August 2001 - 07:01 PM

sainttemplar (29 Aug, 2001 03:13 p.m.):
I think Gerard might have blown it by talking about it.However I do agree with your points in principle.Certainly Butler would have made a good 007 and Brosnan is certainly getting a little long in the tooth.

The Gerard Butler thing was a complete fabrication concocted by a PR company to draw attention to the DVD/video release of DRACULA 2000. ALL these "XX to be next Bond!" stories are PR pieces. ALL of them. Don't be taken in by these things. Just because you read it in the newspaper doesn't make it true. Entertainment "news" is supplied by PR companies who are hired by actors and/or studios to promote...whatever. Bond is a favorite target because a Bond related story plays internationally. Again, ALL these stories are PR company created nonsense.

#8 Tim007

Tim007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4821 posts

Posted 25 June 2001 - 03:31 PM

s***!

The link is broken! Why? But here's the copy of the text:

http://www.gerardbut..._bond062301.htm

Regards,
Tim

#9 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 25 June 2001 - 03:52 PM

Sorry about that Tim, I wasn't online yesterday, that's why I never got the mail.

The links busted, any chance of finding it somewhere else?

#10 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 25 June 2001 - 03:54 PM

I see no statement here from EON saying Butler is the next Bond? This feels like a PR piece. Just because CNN picks it up doesn't make it true. I'll believe it when EON confirms.

#11 Tim007

Tim007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4821 posts

Posted 25 June 2001 - 04:04 PM

The link in N

#12 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 25 June 2001 - 05:31 PM

While I don't think this story will turn out to be true, it does show us that EON is very active in its search for the next James Bond. Or are they? Do they really want to replace Pierce, or is this just a way of having a stronger hand when it comes time to negotiate Pierce's contract for Bond 21? Remember, Cubby would always screen test a "new" James Bond before he'd enter into his contract battles w/ Roger Moore -- maybe Barbara is just playing the game the way she learned it from her father.

#13 Mr Trump

Mr Trump

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 274 posts

Posted 26 June 2001 - 01:11 AM

I can't recall ever watching a Gerard Butler movie but I have read the British reviews of his recent performance in Dracula 2000. Quite frankly, they don't instill me with much confidence. I have heard his name linked with the role but I've not heard anything official on the matter.

#14 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 26 June 2001 - 02:12 AM

zencat (25 Jun, 2001 06:31 p.m.):
maybe Barbara is just playing the game the way she learned it from her father.

Of course she is. Why would Gerald Butler be confirming it anyway? It's the easiest way to lose an unsigned contract in Hollywood. Everybody knows that! Especially on the Bond series.

And secondly why the hell would they be searching for a new Bond so soon? Come of it! They have the biggest project in the Bond series (the 20th in the 40th year) coming up why would they be concerned with something atleast 4 years away!

I've got the news reports, they've flooded my desk. I will report it later today but I'm very dubious!

#15 spacebabe

spacebabe

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 45 posts

Posted 26 June 2001 - 10:32 AM

I shouldn't say this, but my best friend is an actress and is represented by the same PR company as Gerard, and she told me for a fact that they made up the whole story for publicity (and to publicize Gerard's first movie) and that Gerard never even met with anypne at Eon or screen tested/auditioned or anything else.
Also this story originated in the tabloids and there has been no official confirmation, no proof at all.
Sorry, but I don't believe it for a second.

#16 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 26 June 2001 - 03:23 PM

Seems to me I posted a rant about the evils of PR companies spreading Bond rumors -- well, here's just another example of that.

I would say ANYTHING that originates in a British tabloid is highly suspect. You'd think CNN would know better. I'm sure they do. It was just a slow news day.

End of rant for today.

#17 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 26 June 2001 - 03:50 PM

And today we have this from the AP:

A report in a Scottish newspaper that Wes Craven's Dracula 2001 star Gerard Butler will be the next James Bond has been dismissed as "nonsense" by Eon Productions.

A spokeswoman for the 007 company told Teletext: "There is no truth in this story whatsoever. Pierce Brosnan must be a bit miffed with all this talk about his job."

Brosnan has hinted that he may make more Bond movies.

The Daily Record quotes Gerard Butler as saying: "I was getting calls from LA saying it had been announced on CNN that I'd been named the new Bond."

He adds: "It's very flattering and I can't say much more than that."

But Eon Productions says: "Pierce Brosnan is James Bond and there are no plans to find a new James Bond."

#18 spacebabe

spacebabe

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 45 posts

Posted 26 June 2001 - 05:30 PM

zencat (26 Jun, 2001 04:23 p.m.):
You'd think CNN would know better. I'm sure they do. It was just a slow news day.

Isn't this what they traditionally call the 'silly season' news wise?

#19 mrmoon

mrmoon

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 26 June 2001 - 06:15 PM

It certainly is silly season. My mum heard on the news today, 'Robbie williams will be unhappy due to the fact the role of James Bond has been given to Dracula 2001 star Gerard Butler when Pierce Brosnan departs after his next film. What a load of crap

#20 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 26 June 2001 - 11:45 PM

I'm sure Robbie even released a press release just to say how unhappy he really was!

I mean where do they make up some of these things? How do they expect us to believe that Robbie Williams has officially commented on some Bond news?

#21 Mr Trump

Mr Trump

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 274 posts

Posted 27 June 2001 - 12:02 AM

I'm pretty certain that when the next James Bond is announced which I think will probably be a couple of years, It won't be any of the rumoured actors so far but I could be wrong.

#22 WhitePersian

WhitePersian

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 50 posts

Posted 28 June 2001 - 05:00 AM

This all reminds me of front page stories in 86 that an unknown Aussie actor from TV commercials called Finley Light had been signed to replace Roger Moore.
Finley Light remains unknown.

#23 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 28 June 2001 - 09:48 AM

You serious White Persian?

You wouldn't happen to have any press clippings or anything would you? It would make a brilliant article for the updated site!

#24 Mr Trump

Mr Trump

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 274 posts

Posted 28 June 2001 - 11:58 PM

Personally I am getting quite bored of stories about who the next James Bond is going to be after Bond 20. It is still uncertain on whether Brosnan is going to quit the role after the next movie and also EON Productions has said that they have no plans to find a replacement for Pierce, so what is the point of all these stories getting made up by the media.

#25 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 29 June 2001 - 03:34 PM

Mr Trump (29 Jun, 2001 12:58 a.m.):
Personally I am getting quite bored of stories about who the next James Bond is going to be after Bond 20. It is still uncertain on whether Brosnan is going to quit the role after the next movie and also EON Productions has said that they have no plans to find a replacement for Pierce, so what is the point of all these stories getting made up by the media.

I'm with you on this one MrTrump! I'm sick to death of this kind of talk. I recently picked up an old Bond fanzine from 1976. All it talks about is who is going to be Bond when Roger Moore gives up the role after his next film, THE SPY WHO LOVE ME. Nonsense.

I think Pierce is going to be around much longer than people think.

#26 Mr Trump

Mr Trump

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 274 posts

Posted 29 June 2001 - 07:54 PM

You are quite right Zencat it is all nonsense, for example all these Robbie Williams stories about him playing James Bond have came out just because he said he would love to play James Bond.

#27 mrmoon

mrmoon

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 29 June 2001 - 08:15 PM

I'm sick of it aswell, I ignore it if I hear anything, it's just that people who know I like bond tell me everything they hear as if it's the truth and it winds me up because I know there just false rumours. Pierce is going to be around a while longer definately.