the NEW next Bond

32 replies to this topic

#1 The Girl With The Golden Gun

The Girl With The Golden Gun

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 705 posts
  • Location:Deep inside my hollowed out volcano...in the South of England!

Posted 12 April 2002 - 12:55 PM

i've had another idea as to who would make the perfect 007 when Brossie hangs up his acting hat. Anyone in the UK who has Meridian, HTV or who watches the prison drama series "Bad Girls" and popular soap "Emmerdale" may know of actor Paul Opacic from both series. He's handsome (well, he looks like Tim Dalton) and talented...what does everyone else think?

#2 Arrant

Arrant

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 266 posts

Posted 17 April 2002 - 11:05 PM

I dont have any suggested actors,but does anyone else think we may need a change of style again after Brosnan hangs up his trilby.
I loved the fact that after the fun and games and appalling puns of the Roger Moore era,we returned to a much more intense,dangerous Bond with Dalton. He was about as close to the darker side of Flemings Bond as you could wish for.
Brosnan sort of continues that tradition. He is a finer actor than anyone that good looking deserves to be ,but I feel that he is struggling to hold onto Bond the man amid the expected spectacle.
It may be the scripts, but there is a tension created by this that is pulling the Brosnan Bond movies in different directions.
We have a Bond that seems to alternate between Daltons intensity and Moores tongue in cheek, and I

#3 ray t

ray t

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1394 posts

Posted 18 April 2002 - 02:18 AM

AstonMartinDB5:

sylvester stalone eh?

he is too OLD and UGLY to play bond and u, my friend, are the biggest con in these forums....mikey g's nephew my :).

#4 rubixcub

rubixcub

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 18 April 2002 - 11:15 PM

The_Godfather (16 Apr, 2002 02:25 a.m.):
You would be wrong. Last December while playing a golf game with a friend it is said that he is considering the role.
http://www.klast.net...d3.html#dougray

Ah, but your article quotes a second party, a go-between who claims that this is what was said, rather than taking it straight from the horse's mouth. The article I remember quotes Dougray Scott himself. If I can find the article I will post a link to it.

Dave

#5 rubixcub

rubixcub

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 18 April 2002 - 11:27 PM

Now I've got something- I couldn't find the article itself, but I found the quote from Dougray Scott:

Dougray Scott was considered the obvious candidate but turned down the role as he felt he couldn't better Connery's performance. He said: "I'm very flattered that people consider me good enough to play James Bond. But I couldn't play that part any better than Sean did. To be honest, I'm not convinced I am suave enough. I wouldn't even play one of the baddies."

Whereas the spin doctor (let me repeat that- SPIN DOCTOR) said: "I asked Dougray about Bond and it's obvious there have been unofficial approaches made. It's clear to me that if he was asked, he'd take it."

So we have the actor himself doubting his abilities vs. the inference of a man whose job is to pull the old switcheroo and make something out of nothing, to put a new spin on news and gossip. Don't count on Whelan to be 100% accurate, esp. when he's just making an inference.

Dave

#6 sainttemplar

sainttemplar

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 191 posts

Posted 19 April 2002 - 06:43 AM

rubixcub (19 Apr, 2002 12:27 a.m.):
Now I've got something- I couldn't find the article itself, but I found the quote from Dougray Scott:

Dougray Scott was considered the obvious candidate but turned down the role as he felt he couldn't better Connery's performance. He said: "I'm very flattered that people consider me good enough to play James Bond. But I couldn't play that part any better than Sean did. To be honest, I'm not convinced I am suave enough. I wouldn't even play one of the baddies."

Whereas the spin doctor (let me repeat that- SPIN DOCTOR) said: "I asked Dougray about Bond and it's obvious there have been unofficial approaches made. It's clear to me that if he was asked, he'd take it."

So we have the actor himself doubting his abilities vs. the inference of a man whose job is to pull the old switcheroo and make something out of nothing, to put a new spin on news and gossip. Don't count on Whelan to be 100% accurate, esp. when he's just making an inference.

Dave

In the current GQ Dougray is again asked about playing Bond.He replies
"I'd consider it.Of course i would.But big Sean Connery did such a great job and with me being scottish there would be comparisons...
BTW in the pics that accompany the piece Dougray is nowhere near handsome enough to play the role.

#7 rubixcub

rubixcub

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 19 April 2002 - 06:47 PM

sainttemplar (19 Apr, 2002 07:43 a.m.):

rubixcub (19 Apr, 2002 12:27 a.m.):

Dave

In the current GQ Dougray is again asked about playing Bond.He replies
"I'd consider it.Of course i would.But big Sean Connery did such a great job and with me being scottish there would be comparisons...
BTW in the pics that accompany the piece Dougray is nowhere near handsome enough to play the role.

Well, it won't be the first time I overreacted.

Dave

#8 Auricston

Auricston

Recruit

• Crew
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 April 2002 - 05:54 PM

I think Dogary Scot would bring a hard edge to the role, which would be nice to see.

#9 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 20 April 2002 - 11:03 PM

Pretty Much everyone who's replied to this topic (Any Time/Any Place.):

Dougray Scott would be a good Bond (or words to that effect).

[opinion] No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no. Can i reiterate once more; NO! Dougray Scott is all worng for the part of Bond. He falls into that category of 'Could be Bond, but would be a much better villain'. To me, he's just not a possibilty. His nature, physicality, style; it's all wrong for Bond. I just can't see it working. [/opinion]

#10 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 21 April 2002 - 12:26 AM

We should have a rule on the forums that you are not allowed to suggest someone as 'The Next Bond' with out posting a picture and listing at least a couple of the potential 007's acting forays.

If you can't at least produce a picture of the man then he would definitely not be a big enough name to play James Bond.

Just my thought.

#11 The Girl With The Golden Gun

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 21 April 2002 - 07:21 PM

Arrant (18 Apr, 2002 12:05 a.m.):
I dont have any suggested actors,but does anyone else think we may need a change of style again after Brosnan hangs up his trilby.
I loved the fact that after the fun and games and appalling puns of the Roger Moore era,we returned to a much more intense,dangerous Bond with Dalton. He was about as close to the darker side of Flemings Bond as you could wish for.
Brosnan sort of continues that tradition. He is a finer actor than anyone that good looking deserves to be ,but I feel that he is struggling to hold onto Bond the man amid the expected spectacle.
It may be the scripts, but there is a tension created by this that is pulling the Brosnan Bond movies in different directions.
We have a Bond that seems to alternate between Daltons intensity and Moores tongue in cheek, and I’m not sure if it gels (or is that jells)
I say its time for an all or nothing Bond.
One way or the other.
I would love to see Brosnan, be given the chance to play a very real bond in a sort of 18 rated Russia From Love type film.
But thats not going to happen.
So! I think in the current climate it may be time for a return to spectacle, energy, pace, hi tech, and humour.
A Bond who knows his "shaken and not stirred" and "evening jackets", and "Ladies Gun" and "Sexism" are all out of touch in the modern world, and wears them with such pride that no one knows if he’s tongue in cheek or not. A younger Bond, who loves the job and the glamour and the girls, who lives life for the moment, and seems to enjoy the dangerous ride as much as we do
A big, loud updated return to the Guns, Gadgets and Girls, and damn the realism.

phew! i'm glad to see bond is taken so seriously. just 2 words to this, though...i agree!!

#12 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 21 April 2002 - 08:31 PM

Some people think that Hugh Jackman could be Bond, but he does'nt fit the role. And my reply to that Sly Stallone 'rumour', b*****ks! He's too old, to ugly, to muscular and he's AMERICAN! I don't know why people are suggesting American actors, because Bond is British and will always be played by a British actor. I have heard that Ioan Gruffudd would love to play Bond. He's in Hornblower and the Forsythe Saga. A welsh boy, so it may be time for a welsh 007. We've had Irish, Scottish and English so why not? One small problem is that he's only 28 :-( , so in 10 years time maybe?

#13 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 21 April 2002 - 08:43 PM

Carver (21 Apr, 2002 09:31 p.m.):
A welsh boy, so it may be time for a welsh 007. We've had Irish, Scottish and English so why not?

Timothy Dalton was Welsh.

#14 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 22 April 2002 - 12:07 AM

Tanger (21 Apr, 2002 09:43 p.m.):

Carver (21 Apr, 2002 09:31 p.m.):
A welsh boy, so it may be time for a welsh 007. We've had Irish, Scottish and English so why not?

Timothy Dalton was Welsh.

I think he still is.:)

#15 ThomasCrown76

ThomasCrown76

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 146 posts

Posted 22 April 2002 - 01:37 AM

I thought we were all agreed that Matthew Perry would be Bond when Pierce is done. Matt LeBlanc is going to play his CIA counterpart, and David Schwimmer is going to play the Blofeld-like villain.

#16 WC

WC

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1415 posts

Posted 23 April 2002 - 06:44 PM

Mister Asterix (21 Apr, 2002 01:26 a.m.):
We should have a rule on the forums that you are not allowed to suggest someone as 'The Next Bond' with out posting a picture and listing at least a couple of the potential 007's acting forays.

If you can't at least produce a picture of the man then he would definitely not be a big enough name to play James Bond.

Just my thought.

But does the actor who plays Bond need to be a big name? The problem with someone who is too widely recognised is that they might decide they are too big for Bond and try to stamp their own ego over the character - Tom Cruise in Mission:Impossible for example.

I don't think it matters if the actor isn't a household name, so long as he looks and acts the part and is likeable enough.

On a different note, I've often thought that had Harrison Ford been British, he could've played Bond when he was younger and less well known. He has that sort of toughness reminiscent of Sean Connery.

#17 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 23 April 2002 - 08:07 PM

Welshcat (23 Apr, 2002 07:44 p.m.):(edited)
But does the actor who plays Bond need to be a big name?

I didn't say big name, I said big enough name.

Big Name = Tom Cruise
Big Enough Name = Adrian Paul

And yes I think a Bond actor has to have a name big enough so when your buddy asks, 'Who?' and you answer with, 'You know the fellow who was in...' that your buddy would say, 'Oh yeah...'.

*And no I'm not suggesting Adrian Paul. He's just an example.

#18 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 23 April 2002 - 08:12 PM

and here's a picture of Adrian Paul. (Just so I'm not breaking my own rule.)

#19 The Girl With The Golden Gun

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 24 April 2002 - 01:48 PM

Mister Asterix (23 Apr, 2002 09:12 p.m.):

well yes, you are breaking your own rule, as while u have provided a picture, there are no 007-like talents listed. anyway, he's too swarthy. if he has a shave i might even begin to start considering him...

#20 FallinRetard9

FallinRetard9

Cadet

• Crew
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 May 2002 - 01:13 AM

I think the next bond should be Billy Zane he played "cal" on TITANIC and is really hot. He may not be "tough" enough for the role, although.

#21 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 24 April 2002 - 04:00 PM

The Girl With The Golden Gun (24 Apr, 2002 02:48 p.m.):

well yes, you are breaking your own rule, as while u have provided a picture, there are no 007-like talents listed. anyway, he's too swarthy. if he has a shave i might even begin to start considering him...

No, actually since I did not suggest Mr. Paul as Bond I did not even need to post a picture. I posted the photo mearly to show ease of posting a photo. This is the Internet age people. If you like this Dougray Wasshisname as Bond, pop open another browser window go to Google Image Search find a picture. Then click over to the IMDb and find out what the bloke has done with his life.

Again using Mr. Paul as an example.

Adrian Paul who most well known for playing Duncan McCloud in 'Highlander: The Series' also was in The Breed as Aaron Gray, Merlin: The Return as Lancelot.

or

Here's Adrian Paul's IMDb Listing

#22 WC

WC

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1415 posts

Posted 24 April 2002 - 06:18 PM

I think I'd personally prefer Adrian Paul to Hugh Jackman. After Jackman played Wolverine, I think he's cast himself in a different light (ie more in the Mel Gibson/Clint Eastwood mould than a James Bond mould). Only thing I wonder about is whether Adrian Paul is British? I realise he had a sort of Scottish accent in Highlander but wasn't sure if he was putting that on. Sometimes he sounded American.

#23 Mourning Becomes Electra

Mourning Becomes Electra

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 24 April 2002 - 06:58 PM

Welshcat (24 Apr, 2002 07:18 p.m.):

I think I'd personally prefer Adrian Paul to Hugh Jackman. After Jackman played Wolverine, I think he's cast himself in a different light (ie more in the Mel Gibson/Clint Eastwood mould than a James Bond mould). Only thing I wonder about is whether Adrian Paul is British? I realise he had a sort of Scottish accent in Highlander but wasn't sure if he was putting that on. Sometimes he sounded American.

According to the IMDB, he was born and raised in London, and he's also going to be 43 in a month, so he'll be at least 48 in 2007 which is the earliest Brosnan will step down. I think that's too old for a first Bond film. Exceptions of course could be made, but aside from all that I think he's a wooden actor with poor enunciation (he sounds like he has marbles in his mouth).

MBE

#24 WC

WC

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1415 posts

Posted 24 April 2002 - 08:04 PM

Mourning Becomes Electra (24 Apr, 2002 07:58 p.m.):
According to the IMDB, he was born and raised in London, and he's also going to be 43 in a month, so he'll be at least 48 in 2007 which is the earliest Brosnan will step down. I think that's too old for a first Bond film. Exceptions of course could be made, but aside from all that I think he's a wooden actor with poor enunciation (he sounds like he has marbles in his mouth).

MBE

That's probably why I couldn't tell if he was American or British.

Speaking of exceptions they made a big one for Codger Moore. Not that we'd want any further exceptions of that type to be made unless the actor seemed really young (which Moore wasn't).

#25 rubixcub

rubixcub

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 24 April 2002 - 10:32 PM

Welshcat (23 Apr, 2002 07:44 p.m.):
On a different note, I've often thought that had Harrison Ford been British, he could've played Bond when he was younger and less well known. He has that sort of toughness reminiscent of Sean Connery.

Harrison Ford reminds me more of Humphrey Bogart than Sean Connery.

Dave

#26 rubixcub

rubixcub

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 24 April 2002 - 10:40 PM

Welshcat (24 Apr, 2002 07:18 p.m.):
I think I'd personally prefer Adrian Paul to Hugh Jackman. After Jackman played Wolverine, I think he's cast himself in a different light (ie more in the Mel Gibson/Clint Eastwood mould than a James Bond mould).

Jackman did play a courtly gentleman in "Kate & Leopold", so I'd say he's not completely in the tough guy mould. He may very well be put into a musical mould given his vocal prowess. He's rumored for potential roles in three Andrew Lloyd Webber musicals that are likely to be heading to film- "Sunset Boulevard", "The Phantom of the Opera" and "Jesus Christ Superstar" (to improve on the 70's version). If he ends up typecast in musicals he probably wouldn't be right for Bond, but who knows? First they have to get off the ground, and that's no small feat. "Phantom" would have the most audience demand but that's in development hell (and it really does sound like hell). "Jesus" may or may not happen (rock opera isn't really in right now) and Webber's first priority is "Sunset Boulevard" but there are others who could play Joe Gillis (though Jackman played the role on stage). On a side note, if Jackman gets an Oscar nod in the next few years then scratch him off the list. That's usually a good indication that an actor won't be playing Bond and doesn't need to either.

He's still my favorite candidate at the moment.

Dave

#27 The_Godfather

The_Godfather

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 April 2002 - 01:17 PM

I just hope Dougray Scot is the next Bond.

#28 rubixcub

rubixcub

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 15 April 2002 - 10:45 PM

The_Godfather (14 Apr, 2002 02:17 p.m.):

Won't happen. He's already been quoted as saying he doesn't want to do it, or doesn't feel he could do justice to the role after fellow Scot Connery immortalized it.

Dave

#29 The_Godfather

The_Godfather

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 April 2002 - 01:25 AM

rubixcub (15 Apr, 2002 11:45 p.m.):

The_Godfather (14 Apr, 2002 02:17 p.m.):

Won't happen. He's already been quoted as saying he doesn't want to do it, or doesn't feel he could do justice to the role after fellow Scot Connery immortalized it.

Dave

You would be wrong. Last December while playing a golf game with a friend it is said that he is considering the role.

http://www.klast.net...d3.html#dougray

#30 AstonMartinDB5

AstonMartinDB5

Recruit

• Crew
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 April 2002 - 09:13 PM

Here's some news that's value for money. Sylvester Stallone has publically announced that he's 'up for the role' in the next Bond film.
As Bond, naturally.