22 replies to this topic

#1 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 29 August 2001 - 08:08 PM

I've decided to post this is one big, beautiful post because I really think us Bond fans need to learn how to recognize a PR (public/press relations) story from genuine news. In other words, stop believing everything you read!

"GERARD BUTLER TO BE NEXT JAMES BOND!"

The Gerard Butler thing was a complete fabrication concocted by a PR firm to draw attention to the DVD/video release of DRACULA 2000. ALL these "XX to be next Bond!" stories are PR pieces. ALL of them. Don't be taken in by these things. Just because you read it in the newspaper doesn't make it true.

"CATHERINE ZETA-JONES TO BE NEXT BOND!"

Most entertainment "news" is supplied by PR firms who are hired by actors and/or studios to promote current business or help keep a fading star in the news (Whitney Houston anyone?). Bond is a favorite target because a Bond related story plays internationally.

"ROBBIE WILLIAMS TO BE NEXT BOND!"

Have you ever noticed the stories always start like this... "Robbie Williams, whose recently released CD 'Millennium' is quickly climbing the charts in the UK, has been asked to play James Bond when Pierce Brosnan gives up the PPK in..." Notice something? This is an AD for Robbie Williams' new CD. If the article mentions a piece of current business, trust it IS a PR piece.

So why doesn't EON always deny the story?

Because when you deny the story it gives the story life for a second news cycle... "The producers of the next James Bond movie have denied that Robbie Williams is the next James Bond, despite the fact that Williams recently released CD 'Millennium' is quickly climbing the charts in the UK..." It's best to just wait and see if the story will die on it's own.

Why do these stories show up in UK tabloids first?

Because that's the perfect way to get the story into the legit news cycle before anyone official can stop it. Tabloids get ALL their news from PR firms. I mean, how many "tabloid reporters" have you met pounding the pavement? And have you ever noticed these stories tend to show up on weekends? The way it works is the PR companies send (or sell) their "news" to the tabloids on Friday. The tabloids print on Sat. or Sunday. The "news" gets picked up on the wires and is reported on Monday. By the time Eon even hears the news it's all over the world.

Well then, how do I know what's true and what's created by a PR firm?

Simple. Always consider the source. If the story starts; "Eon Productions announced today that Daniel Dykes is to be the next James Bond..." then it's true. If it doesn't mention a source, or it says "sources tell us", then that "source" is a PR firm. VARIETY will sometimes float stories that are true but not yet official. If it's in Variety, trust that something is up.

But I heard it on CNN!

CNN and other "legit" news organizations are well aware that these stories are PR generated bulls***, but how else are they going to fill 24 of news everyday? The feeling is that entertainment "news" is first and foremost "entertainment." The rules of truth don't really apply.

Okay, now YOU can explain all this to the next person who says, "Hey, I just heard Russell Crowe is going to be the next James Bond!", and you can share my frustration when they say, "No, really! It was on The News!"

#2 sainttemplar

sainttemplar

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 191 posts

Posted 31 August 2001 - 03:28 PM

zencat (30 Aug, 2001 11:59 p.m.):

sainttemplar (30 Aug, 2001 09:04 p.m.):
My objection was based on the point that the post was expressed as FACT.Its a clever interpretation of events but it is one of several possibilities.

Good point. Maybe I shouldn't have stated my opinion so emphatically. Forgive me, I'm American. :)

Regardless, I think it's healthy to look at news stories which credit no official source as total fiction, which, you have to admit, is true of all the stories I cited. That was the point of my post. And what I gave you was the most likely scenario, based on how I know news and entertainment work.

I think its healthy to look at all tabloid stories with speculation certainly

However it wouldn't be the first time EON leaked other actors to the press to keep the current Bonds price down...and rumours about James Purefoy and gerard Butler were at PInewood LONG before they turned up in the press

Really? That's an interesting bit of information. While this "leaking to the press" business certainly goes on (usually done through your publicist :)), I really don't think it does as much as people imagine. I mean, if we can spot this ploy, so can Pierce and his representation. I'm sure if Eon wanted to communicate w/ Pierce that they're testing new Bonds, they could do so in a more direct way. And why would they do this now when Pierce's is still working under his original contract (which had an option for a 4th film)? Does Eon really need to be devious at this stage? Do they need to be devious at all?

Well I don't think the point was to replace Pierce but to get him to lower his price.Remember EON did this with James Brolin in 82 and Lewis Collins in84.Yes they could tell PB direct but they use the press to make a little more *impact*.Also of course PB was making noises about leaving which presumably he won't after Tailor of Panama was less successful than he'd hoped.

#3 spacebabe

spacebabe

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 45 posts

Posted 02 September 2001 - 12:16 AM

zencat (30 Aug, 2001 06:22 p.m.):

sainttemplar (30 Aug, 2001 03:54 p.m.):
wait a moment.Didn't you claim that you were represented by Butler's agent and you overheard the agency admitting that THEY made up the story?make your mind up Spacebabe.

Most agents work hand in hand with publicists. His agent may have had the idea, but publicists are the means by which the story gets out. It's all the same thing. So lay off spacebabe! :)

Duh, it's the exact same thing. What's to make up my mind about? And no, I didn't say I was with ICM, I said I knew someone who was.

Thank you Zencat! :)

#4 Evil Doctor Cheese

Evil Doctor Cheese

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1019 posts

Posted 05 September 2001 - 12:24 PM

zencat (29 Aug, 2001 09:28 p.m.):
"Eon Productions announced today that Daniel Dykes is to be the next James Bond..."

BLUE EYES IS GOING TO BE THE NEXT JAMES BOND!??! WOW! HE'D BE GREAT!

I'm going to contact The Sun straight away.

#5 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 05 September 2001 - 10:26 PM

Evil Doctor Cheese (05 Sep, 2001 01:24 p.m.):
BLUE EYES IS GOING TO BE THE NEXT JAMES BOND!??! WOW! HE'D BE GREAT!

I'm going to contact The Sun straight away.

Well thank you Evil Doctor :)

#6 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 05 September 2001 - 04:38 PM

spacebabe (02 Sep, 2001 01:16 a.m.):
Thank you Zencat! :)

Anytime spacebabe.

#7 spacebabe

spacebabe

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 45 posts

Posted 29 August 2001 - 09:38 PM

Completely, completely agree 100%.

#8 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 29 August 2001 - 10:48 PM

Thank you, spacebabe.

#9 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 29 August 2001 - 11:06 PM

An excellent article Zencat! Fantasticly written, and 100% correct. There's one touch that I especially like:

zencat (29 Aug, 2001 09:28 p.m.):
"Eon Productions announced today that Daniel Dykes is to be the next James Bond..." then it's true...

:) I'm going to archive this on my hard drive for future use if you don't mind. Perhaps I'll link it in the FAQ. It's a fantastic resource!

#10 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 29 August 2001 - 11:29 PM

Blue Eyes (30 Aug, 2001 12:06 a.m.):
:) I'm going to archive this on my hard drive for future use if you don't mind. Perhaps I'll link it in the FAQ. It's a fantastic resource!

Yes, go for it! Then I don't have to ever say this again. Thanks for your kind words BTW.

#11 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 29 August 2001 - 11:32 PM

Thanks for my kind words? What about yours. It's not every day I get cast as Bond :)

#12 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 29 August 2001 - 11:36 PM

Well, I just heard on CNN that you were up for the part so it must be true! :)

#13 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 29 August 2001 - 11:45 PM

Really? :) Wow! My agent hasn't even rung me yet. Slacker must still be in bed! And I didn't think he had ties in the UK or US!! :)

#14 sainttemplar

sainttemplar

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 191 posts

Posted 30 August 2001 - 02:52 PM

[quote]zencat (29 Aug, 2001 09:28 p.m.):
I've decided to post this is one big, beautiful post because I really think us Bond fans need to learn how to recognize a PR (public/press relations) story from genuine news. In other words, stop believing everything you read!

"GERARD BUTLER TO BE NEXT JAMES BOND!"

The Gerard Butler thing was a complete fabrication concocted by a PR firm to draw attention to the DVD/video release of DRACULA 2000. ALL these "XX to be next Bond!" stories are PR pieces. ALL of them.

errant nonsense Zencat!there is not a single fact in your statement at all.You seem to have a genuine understanding of the news industry but that is all.

#15 sainttemplar

sainttemplar

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 191 posts

Posted 30 August 2001 - 02:54 PM

spacebabe (29 Aug, 2001 10:38 p.m.):
Completely, completely agree 100%.

wait a moment.Didn't you claim that you were represented by Butler's agent and you overheard the agency admitting that THEY made up the story?make your mind up Spacebabe.
BTW I have a client list for the agency concerned.Which one are you.

#16 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 30 August 2001 - 05:22 PM

sainttemplar (30 Aug, 2001 03:54 p.m.):

Most agents work hand in hand with publicists. His agent may have had the idea, but publicists are the means by which the story gets out. It's all the same thing. So lay off spacebabe! :)

#17 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 30 August 2001 - 05:28 PM

sainttemplar (30 Aug, 2001 03:52 p.m.):
errant nonsense Zencat!there is not a single fact in your statement at all.You seem to have a genuine understanding of the news industry but that is all.

Actually, I don't understand the news industry, but I do understand the entertainment industry and what I'm telling you I've learned from first hand experience.

But if you have some insight that I've missed, or care to point out where I'm wrong, please feel free to share it with us.

#18 sainttemplar

sainttemplar

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 191 posts

Posted 30 August 2001 - 08:04 PM

zencat (30 Aug, 2001 07:17 p.m.):

Actually, I don't understand the news industry, but I do understand the entertainment industry and what I'm telling you I've learned from first hand experience.

But if you have some insight that I've missed, or care to point out where I'm wrong, please feel free to share it with us.

My objection was based on the point that the post was expressed as FACT.Its a clever interpretation of events but it is one of several possibilities.As Daniel knows very well I have several colleagues who work at Pinewood and I've passed on titbits from time to time.But he never takes me at my word he checks me against his sources then posts.I should have made that clear in my post to you zencat.Sorry.
However it wouldn't be the first time EON leaked other actors to the press to keep the current Bonds price down...and rumours about James Purefoy and gerard Butler were at PInewood LONG before they turned up in the press

#19 sainttemplar

sainttemplar

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 191 posts

Posted 30 August 2001 - 08:04 PM

zencat (30 Aug, 2001 07:17 p.m.):

My objection was based on the point that the post was expressed as FACT.Its a clever interpretation of events but it is one of several possibilities.As Daniel knows very well I have several colleagues who work at Pinewood and I've passed on titbits from time to time.But he never takes me at my word he checks me against his sources then posts.I should have made that clear in my post to you zencat.Sorry.

#20 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 30 August 2001 - 10:59 PM

My objection was based on the point that the post was expressed as FACT.Its a clever interpretation of events but it is one of several possibilities.

Good point. Maybe I shouldn't have stated my opinion so emphatically. Forgive me, I'm American. :)

Regardless, I think it's healthy to look at news stories which credit no official source as total fiction, which, you have to admit, is true of all the stories I cited. That was the point of my post. And what I gave you was the most likely scenario, based on how I know news and entertainment work.

Really? That's an interesting bit of information. While this "leaking to the press" business certainly goes on (usually done through your publicist :)), I really don't think it does as much as people imagine. I mean, if we can spot this ploy, so can Pierce and his representation. I'm sure if Eon wanted to communicate w/ Pierce that they're testing new Bonds, they could do so in a more direct way. And why would they do this now when Pierce's is still working under his original contract (which had an option for a 4th film)? Does Eon really need to be devious at this stage? Do they need to be devious at all?

#21 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 30 August 2001 - 11:17 PM

Wow discussion :)

Well I do agree with Zencat that a lot of publicists release this information for their own promotion. Bond is almost gaurnteed press.

#22 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 31 August 2001 - 12:41 AM

...And don't tell me EON floated Catherine Zeta-Jones to panic Pierce.

#23 sainttemplar

sainttemplar

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 191 posts

Posted 31 August 2001 - 03:20 PM

zencat (31 Aug, 2001 01:41 a.m.):
...And don't tell me EON floated Catherine Zeta-Jones to panic Pierce.

I think we can assume that is tabloid invention:)