#1 Simplor

Simplor

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 March 2002 - 10:59 PM

lets play... DREAMER

HTTK is Bond 22.

Who would play Roland Marquis (I think that is the name)? Roland is Bond's school rival I think.

I think... who better than Robert Patrick from T2: Judgement Day and later X Files episodes.

He's physically fit. Right now, I think he is perfect for the role.

If MGM and EON wait long, he won't be.

Pierce and Robert would make a good rivalry going. I can picture the golf game.

Pierce will be gone, and as years go by without adaption... I will lose faith.

#2 JReber007

JReber007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 13 March 2002 - 09:54 PM

Robert Patrick, please! Good actor, yes, but he's American. Just imagine having an American play Bond...David Duchnovy needs a job I hear. :)

Seriously, go for a Brit who can play a real pain-in-the-:). Colin Farrell, Jude Law (he was a real *ss in "The Talented Mr. Ripley) aren't bad choices.

#3 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 14 March 2002 - 07:46 AM

Mister Asterix (13 Mar, 2002 08:33 p.m.):

Jim (13 Mar, 2002 03:18 p.m.):(edited)
...isn't the point that the villain chap is English?

Very much so, I would say. More 'British' than Bond for sure. Pip, pip, chreeio, and all that kind of stuffy jazz.

Yes, we all talk like that.

Given the way Benson carries off this mightily realistic character, he's probably best played by Leslie Phillips.

Pip pip

Damn, what a giveaway.

#4 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 17 March 2002 - 10:39 AM

Jim (14 Mar, 2002 08:17 a.m.):
[Given the way Benson carries off this mightily realistic character, he's probably best played by Leslie Phillips.

I can picture it now... instead of a classic "Ah, Mr Bond, I've been expecting you", we'll have "Oh, hellloooo..."

#5 sainttemplar

sainttemplar

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 191 posts

Posted 17 March 2002 - 01:16 PM

Mister Asterix (13 Mar, 2002 08:33 p.m.):

Very much so, I would say. More 'British' than Bond for sure. Pip, pip, chreeio, and all that kind of stuffy jazz.

sainttemplar (13 Mar, 2002 02:47 p.m.):
EON won't film Gardner and certainly not Benson.Michael Wilson commented that " there's some neew guy writing them now.I don't think he has anything to offer"

Yes, I doubt Eon will ever film a non-Fleming book, but that's not what this thread is about. This thread is a 'what if' scenario. Simplor, I believe, is just looking for casting ideas if this book were to be made into a film.

sorry.Misunderstood.

#6 Simplor

Simplor

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 27 posts

Posted 17 March 2002 - 03:57 PM

yeh...

Doubleshot

An American to play Jimmy Powers. For some reason, I would pick Alec Baldwin. While reading, I picture Mr. Powers like Alec's character in Beetlejuice (glasses and all for some reason).

#7 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 18 March 2002 - 12:44 AM

[b]Simplor (12 Mar, 2002

EON won't film Gardner and certainly not Benson.Michael Wilson commented that " there's some neew guy writing them now.I don't think he has anything to offer"

Did Mickey G really say that? Well, SOMEONE read The Facts of Death because the similarities between it and TWINE are more than coincidental. And I'm beginning to suspect we're going to see quite of bit of Doubleshot in Die Another Day.

#8 scaramanga

scaramanga

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1089 posts

Posted 26 March 2002 - 11:32 PM

I think that the perfect choice to play Roland Marquis would have to be Kenneth Branagh. He's a fine Shakesperian actor and I can really picture him in the role.

#9 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 13 March 2002 - 02:25 AM

I've not long finished reading HTTK, my first Bond in over 20 years, and I pictured Marquis as a Terry Thomas sort of character. Very English, upper crust, and slightly pompous.

Robert Patrick? Apart from being an American, he exudes neither of the traits I picture Marquis as having.

#10 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 13 March 2002 - 03:51 AM

Roland Marquis must be British.

If Robert Patrick has proved anything to me, it is that he is horrible at accents. His 'The X-Files' character has this down-home Southern boy from New York City accent. Just awful. And the I-Guess-It's-Supposed-To-Be-Texas accent he did as Race Bannon on 'The Real Adventures Of Jonny Quest' was pathetic. Thank God they fired him quick on that show.

I would cast someone like Ralph Fiennes, Colin Firth, or Hugh Grant. Or any one of those guys that have been picked to play Bond but would really suck in the role of 007.

#11 sainttemplar

sainttemplar

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 191 posts

Posted 13 March 2002 - 02:45 PM

Mister Asterix (13 Mar, 2002 03:51 a.m.):
Roland Marquis must be British.

If Robert Patrick has proved anything to me, it is that he is horrible at accents. His 'The X-Files' character has this down-home Southern boy from New York City accent. Just awful. And the I-Guess-It's-Supposed-To-Be-Texas accent he did as Race Bannon on 'The Real Adventures Of Jonny Quest' was pathetic. Thank God they fired him quick on that show.

I would cast someone like Ralph Fiennes, Colin Firth, or Hugh Grant. Or any one of those guys that have been picked to play Bond but would really suck in the role of 007.

howabout Brosnan? oh of course can't do a good English accent

#12 sainttemplar

sainttemplar

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 191 posts

Posted 13 March 2002 - 02:47 PM

[b]Simplor (12 Mar, 2002

#13 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 13 March 2002 - 03:18 PM

[quote]sainttemplar (13 Mar, 2002 02:47 p.m.):
[quote]
Michael Wilson commented that " there's some new guy writing them now.I don't think he has anything to offer"[/quote]

It's all a different animal.

On topic, and although I thought I was in the blissful position of having forgotten the book, isn't the point that the villain chap is English?

#14 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 13 March 2002 - 08:33 PM

Yes, I doubt Eon will ever film a non-Fleming book, but that's not what this thread is about. This thread is a 'what if' scenario. Simplor, I believe, is just looking for casting ideas if this book were to be made into a film.