8 replies to this topic

#1 Tim007

Tim007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4821 posts

Posted 08 January 2002 - 05:41 PM

The name of Clive Owen was mentioned in a lot of articles of the Yellow Press as the Brosnan-replacer. But now read it from his lips: It's all nonsense.

From Jam! Showbiz

Since his internationally acclaimed performance as the gambler in Croupier, Owen has been touted as the next James Bond.

"I've even read that Pierce Brosnan mentioned me as the choice for his replacement," says Owen.

"The truth is, the British press is forever writing stories about who will play Bond. At one point I think Catherine Zeta-Jones was in the running."

So there you have it ;D

Regards,

#2 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 09 January 2002 - 02:37 AM

He's amused? He's not the only one.

#3 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 12 January 2002 - 09:02 PM

It isn't actually a denial, though, is it. His very carefully chosen words lead me to think he probably has tested, or at least had discussions. Even though Brossers is set for the time being, EON have always had possible successors in the wings, especially at contract time.
ABC in Oz have just started repeating Owen's Second Sight series. based on photos he didn't strike me as a Bond. Seeing him though has led me to revise my opinion. He's a very charismatic actor, and a good one too. There's a lot of Connery in the eyebrows and cheekbones, and touch of Lazenby round the mouth and chin.
His eyes are his most compelling feature, though the nose is a bit, well...lumpy.
I can see why Croupier had people thinking Bond, because apart from the tux, he had a haircut very like Connery in Dr No.
He seems a little short (about 5' 10", I'd guess), but he wouldn't be the first Bond to wear lifts.
One last thing, He handles a cigarette well.

I could live with him as Bond if and when Brossers calls it a day.

#4 badblokebob

badblokebob

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 35 posts

Posted 19 January 2002 - 03:24 PM

i think that Owen could make a pretty good Bond, if they moved the series back towards it's grittier roots, rather than the American-ised action that it basically is now.

Has anyone else seen him in The Hire (www.bmwfilms.com)? That shows him in a role that might be fairly close to what his Bond could be look... its also a good series of films as it is.

#5 MrMoneypenny

MrMoneypenny

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 182 posts

Posted 20 March 2002 - 04:28 PM

Of course Clive Owen has to be the next Bond. He's perfect. I just watched 'Greenfingers' and the man is just so charismatic. He would be a type of Bond described in the Ian Fleming books. Actually, he looks a bit like George Lazenby but rougher. And yes, the BMW-shorts 'The Hire' were like mini-Bonds. Hey, he already had a 'Bond-connection' in those shorts...he was driving Madonna around!!!!!!! Anyway, I'm all for it. I was super excited when they announced Pierce Brosnan as the new Bond when Sir Roger Moore called it quits. But then they went with Tim Dalton, which wasn't a bad choice either....

#6 rubixcub

rubixcub

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 20 March 2002 - 07:38 PM

I keep noticing people writing this. Has Roger Moore been knighted or is he supposed to be? I haven't heard anything about it.

Dave

#7 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 21 March 2002 - 02:09 AM

Roger Moore hasn't been knighted, I was wondering why a few people call him Sir, maybe he should be knighted, but he hasn't been.

So you shouldn't call him 'Sir' why not call him 'His Excellency' instead ? :)

#8 sainttemplar

sainttemplar

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 191 posts

Posted 21 March 2002 - 02:46 PM

White Persian (12 Jan, 2002 09:02 p.m.):
It isn't actually a denial, though, is it. His very carefully chosen words lead me to think he probably has tested,

He seems a little short (about 5' 10", I'd guess), but he wouldn't be the first Bond to wear lifts.

I could live with him as Bond if and when Brossers calls it a day.

Clive tested for GE.He is 6'2".

#9 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 21 March 2002 - 03:09 PM

I've always assumed that when I saw 'Sir Roger Moore' that it was just a typo and what was really intended to be typed was 'Sit Roger Moore' in honour of his dramatic work in the film Octopussy.

;D