• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 Bondson

Bondson

Cadet

• Crew
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 September 2001 - 06:56 PM

"According to a source close to Eon, Ralph Fiennes is not actually in major contention for the role of 007. The studio is very fearful that Fiennes may damage the franchise (ala. The Avengers), and have actually named a few NEW candidates to the 007 legacy.

Here's something I picked up from a MovieNews site. There's no doubt some truth in this.

Apparently one of the members of the SAS who is currently help eon screen potential Bonds, has made a considerable impression the studio. He is said to be tall, lean have black hair and enough charisma to pull it off. His name is not being released for security reasons (he is afterall SAS), but the studio is quickly becoming keen on having him, for the reasons that he is the perfect replica of Bond and he is not pricey, due to his acting inexperience. He also does not hold a union card, which means that the Bond Film could be made during a strike.
There is also talk of Gabriel Byrne donning the tux. Byrne who recently had his television series "Madigan Men" cancelled is a darkhorse in the contention. The producers feel that Byrne although not as physical as Brosnan, can bring the complex character of James Bond to light and adequetly handle the action sequences."

#2 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 01 October 2001 - 09:46 PM

:) I just read this news over at http://www.moviehead...le.php?sid=1049

What a load of crap. Why would a SAS person be used to test potential Bonds? And why are EON even wasting time on screentesting Bond's when they're busy with Bond 20?

Give me a break!

#3 sainttemplar

sainttemplar

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 191 posts

Posted 02 October 2001 - 12:07 PM

White Persian (01 Oct, 2001 07:24 p.m.):
I agree that Gabriel Byrne is not right physically as Bond, and for that reason shouldn't be cast, though I do think that from an acting viewpoint, he'd be terrific.

Byrne has been linked with certain Irish terrorist causes.It might be totally untrue but even the suggestion of it was enough to preclude Cubby considering him in 94 despite pressure from MGM.Also of course he's not handsome enough and too old.

He might make a great Bond villain though.

#4 sainttemplar

sainttemplar

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 191 posts

Posted 02 October 2001 - 12:10 PM

Blue Eyes (01 Oct, 2001 10:46 p.m.):
:) I just read this news over at http://www.moviehead...le.php?sid=1049

What a load of crap. Why would a SAS person be used to test potential Bonds? And why are EON even wasting time on screentesting Bond's when they're busy with Bond 20?

Give me a break!

Yes.Actors testing for 007 do a fight scene and a love scene.I suppose one of the stunt crew could be ex-SAS but its reaching.
However as far as testing Bonds...I think EON are constantly looking for potential Bonds.I don't know about actual tests I think that might be premature but certainly they might be talking to people.

#5 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 02 October 2001 - 01:03 PM

sainttemplar (02 Oct, 2001 01:10 p.m.):
Yes.Actors testing for 007 do a fight scene and a love scene.I suppose one of the stunt crew could be ex-SAS but its reaching.
However as far as testing Bonds...I think EON are constantly looking for potential Bonds.I don't know about actual tests I think that might be premature but certainly they might be talking to people.

Very possible SaintTemplar but the blaring hole is quite obviously in the statement that this man is not ex-SAS but still working for them.

And also, while they would always be on the look out for new Bonds (even as fans we continuosly do it) with Bond 20 on the slate their not going to start looking at a SAS officer who, by all means, should be in Afghanistan right now!

#6 sainttemplar

sainttemplar

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 191 posts

Posted 03 October 2001 - 01:24 PM

Blue Eyes (02 Oct, 2001 02:03 p.m.):

sainttemplar (02 Oct, 2001 01:10 p.m.):

Very possible SaintTemplar but the blaring hole is quite obviously in the statement that this man is not ex-SAS but still working for them.

And also, while they would always be on the look out for new Bonds (even as fans we continuosly do it) with Bond 20 on the slate their not going to start looking at a SAS officer who, by all means, should be in Afghanistan right now!

well obviously I agree.The "yes" that preceded my first post means that I concur.

#7 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 03 October 2001 - 10:10 PM

A yes that little yes. How interesting :)

#8 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 30 October 2001 - 01:33 AM

An unknown Bond?

How about Pierce Brosnan!

I'm sure he is still unknown in the Amazon Basin.:)

#9 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 03 November 2001 - 09:02 AM

Was Jack Davenport in "Ultraviolet"?

#10 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 09 November 2001 - 01:19 AM

*ed*

#11 Mr Trump

Mr Trump

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 274 posts

Posted 30 September 2001 - 07:40 PM

Gabriel Byrne would be a terrible choice as Bond. He was brilliant in End of days and The usual Suspects but he would be crap as bond

#12 Mr Trump

Mr Trump

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 274 posts

Posted 30 September 2001 - 07:41 PM

Gabriel Byrne would be a terrible choice as Bond. He was brilliant in End of days and The usual Suspects but he would be crap as bond

#13 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 01 October 2001 - 06:24 PM

I agree that Gabriel Byrne is not right physically as Bond, and for that reason shouldn't be cast, though I do think that from an acting viewpoint, he'd be terrific.

He might make a great Bond villain though.

#14 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 01 October 2001 - 06:32 PM

Bondson (30 Sep, 2001 07:56 p.m.):
Apparently one of the members of the SAS who is currently help eon screen potential Bonds, has made a considerable impression the studio. He is said to be tall, lean have black hair and enough charisma to pull it off.

I can't see MGM forking out umpteen millions to make a Bond film, with it all riding on an unknown.
Unless Eon somehow arranged for their candidate to work his way up through minor roles over the next few years until he's needed to fill Brosnan's shoes, hoping he strikes a chord with movie audiences.
Seems unlikely though.