11 replies to this topic

#1 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 11:24 PM

Just finished Seafire, I noticed on a previous thread that the book was described as "not unenjoyable". I'd probably agree with that! It has many of the Gardner cliches like briefings in hotel rooms (at one point they go all the way to Jerusalem just for a meeting in a hotel room :D ), the obligatory double-cross, though it was a relatively minor one this time, and plenty of non-action in rural England :D
Max Tarn was a pretty good villain though, in the Drax/Goldfinger mode, though yet again he turns out to be a Nazi :tup: Actually I'm not entirely sure what causing and then cleaning up a massive oil spill has to do with his secret Nazi rallies, but, oh well. The supporting villain cast was more colorful than usual, notably the cross-dressing pair of henchwomen, Beth the junkie/sadist, and lumbering brute Kurt Rollen. For some reason we get not one not two but three returning characters - Felix, Flicka, and Pete Natkowicz (though his appearance is completely irrelevant to anything) and a sort of reboot of MI6 and the 00 section. Why is Gardner doing this kind of thing so late in his run? Maybe he was bored and wanted to shake things up a bit!
Still, Puerto Rico was a good locale and was well used (I'm guessing!), and the climax with the sub and the parahawk-like-things (not entirely sure what they were exactly) was entertaining, so overall I'd say this was a middle-tier entry in the Gardner canon. Next up I'm reading the TSWLM novelization and will try to locate COLD after that (seems particularly hard to find, for some reason there are plenty of audiobook copies on ebay, but few actual books!)

#2 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 01:47 AM

and will try to locate COLD after that (seems particularly hard to find, for some reason there are plenty of audiobook copies on ebay, but few actual books!)

Indeed. While the UK hardcover is quite expensive, even the US hardback seems to be much more difficult to come by compared to the other US editions.

I rather enjoyed SeaFire myself. Like the previous Never Send Flowers, here is one of the late John Gardner novels that I really enjoyed reading. The action (and the book as a whole really) has a swift pace, and this was one of the Gardner novels I read through in the shortest amount of time.

Sir Maxwell Tarn stands out as one of the more interesting and generally better Gardner villains in my opinion, as well as the case for Flicka. Terrific finale, made me want to start Cold right away.

#3 Aussie21

Aussie21

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 03:22 AM

and will try to locate COLD after that (seems particularly hard to find, for some reason there are plenty of audiobook copies on ebay, but few actual books!)

I rather enjoyed SeaFire myself. Like the previous Never Send Flowers, here is one of the late John Gardner novels...

I thought you meant he had died. I had to check Google to make sure he was okay.

:tup:

Edited by Aussie21, 26 May 2006 - 03:23 AM.

#4 MrDraco

MrDraco

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 04:02 AM

Seafire was a mixed bag with me lol...its ok somedays worse others..

#5 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 06:11 AM

I rather enjoyed SeaFire myself. Like the previous Never Send Flowers, here is one of the late John Gardner novels...

I thought you meant he had died. I had to check Google to make sure he was okay.

Oooh, no! Later is probably a better word to use.

#6 Aussie21

Aussie21

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 06:39 AM

Oooh, no! Later is probably a better word to use.

Ah, no worries. Just gave me a little chuckle, is all. :D

#7 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 07:37 AM

I found the book, like Qwerty said, to be fast moving, but it's a middle of the road-type novel for me. Yes, Tarn and Beth and many of the other villains are good and it's nice to see Felix Leiter return, but something just seems to be lacking. I didn't like the reconfiguring of MI6 and the Double-Oh section and I wasn't really wild about seeing Fredericka von Grusse return. (I guess I'm a one-book girl limit kind of guy). The Puerto Rican scenes are really good as is the action--particularly on the submarine.

Dinovelvet, those parahawk thingies you were trying to visualize, I always imagined them sort of like the XT-7Bs in Never Say Never Again.

I also got a vibe that Anna Archibald and Cathy Cuthbert were the female equivalents of the film versions of Wint and Kidd. Meanwhile, I also get a Grace Jones May Day vibe from Beth. Nevertheless, they are good characters and help make for fun read.

#8 MarcAngeDraco

MarcAngeDraco

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3312 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 10:22 AM

I think I was quite bored with the Gardner books by the time Cold came out, and it didn't do much for me at the time. I don't believe I've ever read it again, so maybe I should give it another chance...

#9 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 12:12 PM

Dinovelvet, those parahawk thingies you were trying to visualize, I always imagined them sort of like the XT-7Bs in Never Say Never Again.

Unless I am missing the point, (or indeed misreading something, in itself, quite prevalent these days!) the parahawks are those merchants of speed that were used to dazzling effect in TWINE.

#10 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 07:48 PM

I also got a vibe that Anna Archibald and Cathy Cuthbert were the female equivalents of the film versions of Wint and Kidd. Meanwhile, I also get a Grace Jones May Day vibe from Beth. Nevertheless, they are good characters and help make for fun read.

I guess I visualized them as the parahawks from TWINE because it was easier than trying to create a new image in my head :D Plus, I was already associating the book with TWINE after the submarine sequence. And yeah I did get a Wint and Kidd vibe from those two, erm, hench "persons", with maybe a little Bambi and Thumper thrown in too :tup:

#11 marmaduke

marmaduke

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 63 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 02:01 PM

Interesting views on Seafire Dinovelvet. (As you are a couple of 'Gardners' in advance of me they always give me a little insight as to what i can expect)I will be interested in what you think of Christopher Wood

#12 Flash1087

Flash1087

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1070 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 11:02 PM

COLD is hard to find? I have a paperback version of unknown edition I picked up in a thriftstore in Ohio. First Bond novel I ever read or owned. Wonder if it's worth anything.