31 replies to this topic

#1 The Dove

The Dove

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 08:20 PM

For any Nintendo buffs here at CBN: I just learned today (and maybe some of you already heard about this) that the new Nintendo console, known until now as the Revolution, has had a name change to the Nintendo Wii (pronounced "we"). What a poor choice of a name by Nintendo in my opinion, in fact it down right sucks!! :tup: Yes I have seen a number of childish jokes on the name ( i.e. "I'm going to go play with my Wii!! " ect..) Nintendo has some lame reason (again this is my opinion) on the name change, as Wii is supposed to symbolize the connectivity of all video game players (as in We). I'm not exactly clear on this reason, but you can go to the Nintendo home page and there will be a link to the statement on the name change of the Wii. Now as an avid Nintendo freak ( been playing and still have all the major consoles, since the original NES came out in 1985), I can only just shake my head and laugh!!.

But on the other hand, I am REALLY looking forward to the new Nintendo (despite the stupid name). If you check out the link I posted below, it'll will take you to the Wii's homepage where you can see the new controler, and even a couple of games that are almost ready for it.. WOW for you Zelda fans, check out how it will be played with the new controler set up!! Looks like its going to be hard!! The sports games should be a blast though!! :D :D
Boy I wonder what any 007 games will be like if they get released on the Wii (man that just does NOT sound right!! lol) :D

So, tell me what you all think!!

http://wii.nintendo.com/home.html

#2 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 08:28 PM

I am going to so make fun of anyone who buys one of these just because of the name.

#3 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 08:32 PM

That is a lame name! :tup: I will get it if Activision's new Bond games are released for it, though.

#4 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 08:34 PM

Do 2 Wi Wi's make a tinkle?

#5 The Dove

The Dove

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 08:38 PM

ROTFLMA!! I can just imagine the embarassment in chatting with your friends about video games:

" Yo man, I got the new Bond game for the Playstation 3!! "

" I gotta it on X-Box 360"

" I gotta for the Wii!!! " :tup:

#6 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 08:42 PM

Ehh, what's far more disturbing is that the PS3 looks like it'll be $500-$600. What are Sony playing at? You could buy an Xbox 360 AND a Wii for that price!

#7 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 08:53 PM

You could buy an Xbox 360 AND a Wii for that price!

heh heh heh heh :tup:

#8 TheCheat

TheCheat

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 494 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 09:35 PM

not the greatest name in the world but the system looks like it will be far more innovative then the other two systems that are coming out and will also be far less expensive

#9 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 07:05 AM

For any Nintendo buffs here at CBN: I just learned today (and maybe some of you already heard about this) that the new Nintendo console, known until now as the Revolution, has had a name change to the Nintendo Wii (pronounced "we"). What a poor choice of a name by Nintendo in my opinion, in fact it down right sucks!! :tup: Yes I have seen a number of childish jokes on the name ( i.e. "I'm going to go play with my Wii!! " ect..) Nintendo has some lame reason (again this is my opinion) on the name change, as Wii is supposed to symbolize the connectivity of all video game players (as in We). I'm not exactly clear on this reason, but you can go to the Nintendo home page and there will be a link to the statement on the name change of the Wii. Now as an avid Nintendo freak ( been playing and still have all the major consoles, since the original NES came out in 1985), I can only just shake my head and laugh!!.

I've been a Nintendo freak since way back when too. I thought "Revolution" was a great name and was hoping they'd stick with that.

I've been looking forward to the new system too, whatever the name. I really like the direction they've gone with the controller. Very interesting.

#10 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 11:22 AM

I knew Revolution wouldn't stick because Nintendo rarely keeps their codenames. The GameCube was called Dolphin at one point. :tup:

#11 Byron

Byron

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 11:29 AM

I've been a Nintendo freak since way back when too.

Me too. IMO the SuperNES was their best ever platform. Metroid, Castlevania, Legend of Mana, F-Zero, Mortal Kombat 1, Mariokart etc the cool games went on and on.

Call me old fashioned but the gameplay in those SNES games beats anything out today. I don't care much for graphics - gameplay is everything.

Not into consoles anymore, too expensive.

And bring back those good old arcade quarter/40c operated machines!

Rant over.

#12 Icephoenix

Icephoenix

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 01:16 PM

I ate some asparagus, and now my Wii smells funny :tup:

#13 The Dove

The Dove

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 02:56 PM

I've been a Nintendo freak since way back when too.

Me too. IMO the SuperNES was their best ever platform. Metroid, Castlevania, Legend of Mana, F-Zero, Mortal Kombat 1, Mariokart etc the cool games went on and on.

Call me old fashioned but the gameplay in those SNES games beats anything out today. I don't care much for graphics - gameplay is everything.

Not into consoles anymore, too expensive.

And bring back those good old arcade quarter/40c operated machines!

Rant over.

Right on!! *sigh* those arcades (what little ones are left these days) just aren't the same as the good old days!! Give me Pac-Man, Frogger, Dig-Dug or my all-time favorite, Donkey Kong!! I even remember playing Super Mario Bros. in the arcade before the original NES came out. :tup:

#14 Daddy Bond

Daddy Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2052 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 04:57 PM

Goofy name! What were they thinking or smoking? Still, it promises to be a great system IF they can get the games made for it. I own a GameCube now and hate trying to find games for it. They're always in the back corner of the store (if they even carry GameCube games), and they have about 1/5 of the number games on the shelf that PS2 and XBox have. That's why I usually go to ebay or Amazon.

Still, I have great games like Zelda, Metroid, Mario, Waverace that the other game systems don't.

But Wii? What's wrong with "Revolution"? That's a great name!

Regards

#15 TheCheat

TheCheat

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 494 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 05:11 PM

i think the biggest problem is that they waited so long to reveal the name for the system so people had gotten used to the codename revolution and when they would hear that they would think of the new nintendo system

for gamecube the name codename dolphin had not really become widespread so when the name gamecube was announced it was easier for people to accept it.

#16 TonicBH

TonicBH

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 291 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 05:12 PM

I can't believe the fact that people are still making many immature jokes about it. Seriously, it's just a name. A name has never ever factored in anything about its sales.

#17 MarcAngeDraco

MarcAngeDraco

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3312 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 05:20 PM

A name has never ever factored in anything about its sales.

That's a pretty broad statement... and so indenfensible, that I'm not even going to bother pointing out contrary examples...

#18 Daddy Bond

Daddy Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2052 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 06:12 PM

TonicBH:

No, names really can and often do impact sales - sometimes quite a lot.

Regards

#19 The Dove

The Dove

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 06:21 PM

Nintendo Wii-- still trying to get used to it..... Nope, it still sucks!! :tup:

Nintendo pay attention!! : In 1985 Coca-Cola made a MAJOR screw up by introducing New Coke (tasted horrible, from what I can remember.) In response to public outcry they very humbly brought back the original Coke. They learnt their lesson.. Please reconsider how the name change of Revolution to Wii might impact sales (which I think it will.)

Nintendo might also learn something from Spinal Tap. :D Remember how the all black album cover of "Smell the Glove" resulted in no-one showing up at the album signing? Not really relavent I suppose, but still its a great example of poor marketing ideas!! lol..

#20 Publius

Publius

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3225 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 07:25 PM

They should just release it in English as Revolution to avoid all this nonsense. Plus, it's a better name.

Wii seems perfectly fine for the non-English speaking countries, but although the dual-name practice is nothing new (NES/Famicon, Genesis/Mega Drive), in this case it would basically go against the universality they're aiming for with the "Wii" name in the first place.

#21 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 08:41 PM

Nintendo Wii...

Horrendous name.

#22 Monsieur B

Monsieur B

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 08:48 PM

I laugh at the thought of the title for the tentative Smash Bros. Game for the Wii.

Hearing the announcer at the title screen yell out, "SUPER SMASH BROTHERS WIIIIIIIIIIII!!"

Actually because of that, they'll probably have another name for the new SSB game, something along the lines of MELEE only, you know, different.

#23 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 09:21 PM

It may be a goofy name, but from what I see from the E3 Press Conference, it looks pretty cool. I think the Wii is going to be fantastic.

#24 Byron

Byron

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 07:12 AM

TonicBH:

No, names really can and often do impact sales - sometimes quite a lot.

Regards

This is so true. Reminds me of the time General Motors brought out a Buick model in Canada named the "LaCrosse".

They had to rename since LaCrosse is a slang term for self gratification in Quebec.

#25 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 08:48 AM

What an odd name to pick anyway. Wii.... :tup:

#26 Dunph

Dunph

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 07:06 PM

How about the Toyota MR2? That got a pasting in France for its name.

#27 Icephoenix

Icephoenix

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 03:45 AM

I can't believe the fact that people are still making many immature jokes about it. Seriously, it's just a name. A name has never ever factored in anything about its sales.

Lighten up, it's a gamer

#28 Dunph

Dunph

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 08:12 AM

Please don't put Wii in my face, Chris.

#29 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 08:18 AM

LOL :tup:

#30 Icephoenix

Icephoenix

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 10:04 AM

Hmmm, well that was my plan for the evening, but since you asked so nicely.... :tup: