17 replies to this topic

#1 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 11:53 PM

Just read Brokenclaw, and I quite enjoyed it! It delivered something that had been really lacking for me in Gardner's novels - a strong villain. After an endless parade of cardboard Russian Generals and watered down Blofeld clones, it was great to have Bond go up against a character who could have come straight from the mind of Fleming (even if Brokenclaw is a little similar to Mr.Big). Also reminded me a bit of the Goldfinger novel where Bond encounters GF in Miami and later by an amazing coincidence is assigned to investigate him.
Not entirely perfect though - the plot wasn't particularly strong, the LORDS/LORDS DAY thing was a bit of a generic McGuffin that could have been anything, and some chapters felt like filler, e.g. we get the entire backstory for Myra, a character who appears in one scene. But I'm willing to forgive this stuff since the villain, locations, and sense of danger are well done.
The climax was pretty good, I (like Bond!) was expecting a big showdown with Brokenclaw, but instead we get a grim torture ritual which seems to leave Bond with the most horrific injuries he's ever suffered!
Overall, far more memorable than most of Gardner's efforts. I've already endured The Man from Barbarossa so I only have four more to go :tup:

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 12:02 AM

Glad to hear it, dinovelvet. I thought I was all alone in liking Brokenclaw, but I really think it's one of the better late-term Gardner books. And, yes, I agree it's because of the strong villain and very memorable (horrifc) climax. I also like the locations, Wanda's backstory, and the Wolf trap. It all feels orginal.

#3 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 12:31 AM

Glad to hear you enjoyed it, dinovelvet. While I rank it as one of the middle Gardner books, it does have its highpoints, the villain especially. Those villains can really make all the difference in Bond novels and movies, in my opinion.

One of the better titles too. What book do you plan on reading next? Have you checked out his two 007 novelizations?

#4 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 01:37 AM

Glad to hear you enjoyed it, dinovelvet. While I rank it as one of the middle Gardner books, it does have its highpoints, the villain especially. Those villains can really make all the difference in Bond novels and movies, in my opinion.

One of the better titles too. What book do you plan on reading next? Have you checked out his two 007 novelizations?

I have read his LTK novelization which was kind of a mixed bag but I enjoyed it overall. I actually have the Goldeneye book but I'm trying to read them in order so I'm saving that one for last. I'm alternating between Gardner and Benson at the moment so I'll be reading Doubleshot next...and after that I'll probably round up all the other bits and pieces like the novelizations of TSWLM, MR, TND, TWINE, DAD, and the Pearson biography, and Blood Fever when its out.

Anyway back to Brokenclaw, yeah I agree, its a case of the villain pretty much IS the book in this case. It would have been deadly dull if the villain was yet another of Gardner's rebel Russian Generals, but the larger-than-life character of Brokenclaw adds some much needed, well, character to Gardner's canon.

#5 Flash1087

Flash1087

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1070 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 03:43 AM

I'm actually really looking forward to this. All the synopses I read make it rather interesting.

#6 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 05:14 AM

A damn fine read and the final locale (central Washington state) are 004 and my old stomping grounds. Granted, more his than mine, but still kind of cool to think 007 was there.

Zen, didn't you take your own Brokenclaw walking tour of SF during BCW5? I was busy drowning Flicka in a sea of champagne and strawberries at the Top of the Mark, but I recall you joining us with a full debrief.

Agreed, one of the best of Gardner's later works. :tup:

#7 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 06:09 AM

Brokenclaw is good but I place it in the middle of the pack (at best) for me. Yes, the villain Lee is great and I like his top henchman Ding as well. The wolf scene is solid also but something seemed to be missing a little bit for me and I wasn't overly wild about the final face-off. Still, it was nice seeing Bond in Vancouver, B.C. and San Francisco.

#8 pgram

pgram

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 10:10 AM

I read Brokenclaw about 4 years ago, and I didn't like it at all. Like all three Gardners I 've read, it builds expectations only to let you down. For example, you come to expect some ingenius plan, when Brokenclaw, in his plane, tries to avoid being tracked, and you just never get it. There is a parallel story of the girl who infiltrates his organisation that Gardner seemed to forget, or to have got bored of. The Lords-Lordsday story is too cliche'. The first chapter is too much like Strangways' assasination. And the final confrontation between Bond and Brokenclaw is too much staged. It is as if Gardner thought: ok, I 've made Brokenclaw a half indian, how can I take advantage of it? Let's use a scene from A man called Horse I liked. I know it doesn't come naturally with the flow of my story, but who cares?

I have a couple of more objections which are not worth mentioning. On the other hand, it was definitely easy to read. I like Gardner's writing. It is suspenseful, especially in the beginning. His descriptions of locations are vivid.

And one last thing: I don't know why, I know he is not half chinese, but when I read it, I envisioned Scottie Pippen as Brokenclaw (maybe because he is half indian). What do you think, wouldn't he make a good Bond villain?

Edited by pgram, 04 April 2006 - 10:11 AM.

#9 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 06:52 PM

And one last thing: I don't know why, I know he is not half chinese, but when I read it, I envisioned Scottie Pippen as Brokenclaw (maybe because he is half indian). What do you think, wouldn't he make a good Bond villain?

Who knows...I noticed in another thread someone suggested Steven Seagal! It'd be tough casting, there can't be too many six foot six Indian/Chinese sexy/intimidating actors out there. Eh, how about Arnold Vosloo, who is neither of those races but would be pretty cool anyway :tup:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0903677/

#10 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 08:27 PM

I'm actually really looking forward to this. All the synopses I read make it rather interesting.

Are you currently reading the Gardner James Bond novels, Flash?

#11 Flash1087

Flash1087

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1070 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 09:50 PM

Yep, finished Win, Lose, Or Die not long ago and I've been able to tackle them in order so far (except for Cold, which was my first Bond novel ever). I think Brokenclaw is next on the list chronologically, isn't it? Or does the LTK novelization come first?

Edited by Flash1087, 04 April 2006 - 09:51 PM.

#12 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 09:06 AM

Yep, finished Win, Lose, Or Die not long ago and I've been able to tackle them in order so far (except for Cold, which was my first Bond novel ever). I think Brokenclaw is next on the list chronologically, isn't it? Or does the LTK novelization come first?

Licence To Kill is first.

#13 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 11:58 AM

Here's the complete chronological order for future reference:

Licence Renewed, For Special Services, Icebreaker, Role Of Honour, Nobody Lives Forever, No Deals, Mr. Bond, Scorpius, Licence To Kill, Win, Lose Or Die, Brokenclaw, The Man From Barbarossa, Death Is Forever, Never Send Flowers, SeaFire, GoldenEye, Cold

#14 Flash1087

Flash1087

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1070 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 02:40 AM

Aw, poop! I've already destroyed the order! Oh well, it's just a novelization, right...?

Brokenclaw it is, then.

#15 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 04:21 AM

It's not one of the books in the Gardner era that I personally consider essential to be read in order.

#16 BondReader 007

BondReader 007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 155 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 07:06 PM

It's not one of the books in the Gardner era that I personally consider essential to be read in order.

Speaking of reading or re-reading LTK, it just hit me, poor Felix, he gets chomped by a shark both in LTK and the novel Live and Let Die! Guess the poor s.o.b. doesn't have a leg to stand on! :tup:

Edited by BondReader 007, 07 April 2006 - 09:59 PM.

#17 Flash1087

Flash1087

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1070 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 05:11 AM

Speaking of reading or re-reading LTK, it just hit me, poor Felix, he gets chomped by a shark both in LTK and the novel Live and Let Die! Guess the poor s.o.b. doesn't have a leg to stand on! :tup:

Good gravy, how many unlucky stars do you have to be born under for that to happen TWICE?!

#18 Genrewriter

Genrewriter

Cammander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4360 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 06:56 AM

Glad to hear it, dinovelvet. I thought I was all alone in liking Brokenclaw, but I really think it's one of the better late-term Gardner books. And, yes, I agree it's because of the strong villain and very memorable (horrifc) climax. I also like the locations, Wanda's backstory, and the Wolf trap. It all feels orginal.

That's what I love about the book too. The setup is also great, Bond just finds the guy interesting and in the course of keeping his mind active, gets pulled into a huge crisis. And yes, the climax is truly one of the more horrific endings for a Bond novel. Yikes!