#1 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 04:24 AM

Revolution GoldenEye Console Denied

It seems as though gamers wanting to replicate one of the Nintendo64 finest moments on the Revolution's Virtual Console will be in for some disappointment, as IGN's Matt Casablanca revealed the no-go surrounding many of Rare's titles on Nintendo's next-gen format.

Naturally Rare owned IP is now in Microsoft's hands and as such Perfect Dark, Banjo-Kazooie and Conker are a definite no-no, however Matt claims via his blog that difficulties in securing an agreement between Rare and EA (owners of the James Bond license) suggests four-player on the facility may also be off the cards.

Now before we all whinge nostalgically perhaps it's a good thing after all, perhaps it's time to let the ghost of GoldenEye rest peacefully, who's to say in this day-and-age of 32 player online frag-fests that it would hold such acclaim anymore - after all some things are better left as they were and let's admit it going back to such things is rarely a smart move.

http://commanderbond...item&item=29982 - Total Video Games

#2 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 05:22 AM

Matt said Rare and EA, but I'm more inclined to believe it's just EA. Wasn't it Nintendo that actually had the license? Rare only developed it, which doesn't exclude it from being available - Donkey Kong 64 and Diddy Kong Racing are Nintendo properties and they'll most likely be available.

I don't know. I can see EA blocking this. They have every reason to. Not surprising regardless of who has the say.

#3 jakek812

jakek812

Recruit

• Crew
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 12:02 AM

Nintendo used that title in a survey for what titles people would want on the Revolution so although I typically agree with Matt. I think in this specific case it is highly likely that Nintendo will provide Goldeneye on the Virtual Console.

#4 Aussie21

Aussie21

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 09:46 PM

...as IGN's Matt Casablanca revealed...

For the record, the IGN journo who is referenced above is actually Matt Casamassina, not Casablanca. :tup:

In regards to the topic at hand, it's disappointing that GoldenEye wouldn't make some appearance on the Revolution, but I do think it's EA making this decision. That said, I can't understand why EA would prevent the title from appearing on the console. I'm more than certain Nintendo would share a bulk of the profits with EA for the chance to use the JB license.

Rare only developed it, which doesn't exclude it from being available - Donkey Kong 64 and Diddy Kong Racing are Nintendo properties and they'll most likely be available.

While Conker, Banjo-Kazooie, Jet Force Gemini, etc. won't make an appearance on the Revo because they're IPs owned by Rare, I'm sure Diddy Kong Racing and the Donkey Kong Country titles'll make it to the virtual console because while the games were developed by Rare, the IP are owned by Nintendo.

Edited by Aussie21, 17 April 2006 - 09:47 PM.