Only after rejection, EON hired Mads Mikkelsen

#2 mkkbb

mkkbb

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 07:00 PM

Whoa, he looks very villainous. But i'm just as happy with Mads playing Le Chiffre.

#3 MrDraco

MrDraco

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 07:03 PM

straight up creepy.

#4 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 07:06 PM

Great find, Tim! :tup:

Matthes looks really, really creepy. I shudder when I think what he would have made of the role. But then again, my first choice for LeChiffre would have been J

#5 Tim007

Tim007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4821 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 07:14 PM

What I personally find most interesting is the fact that Mikkelsen will only have a shooting time of 30 days.

Anyway, maybe we're going to see Matthes in another future Bond flick. Definately a great character actor. Would finally have been a really great German Bond villain after such a long time. John as Ouromov and Otto as Stamper couldn't live up to my expectations, unfortunately.

Also interesting: This is the fourth German actor we know of that EON approached. Imagine he'd have accepted the role. Only French and Germans as villains... :tup:

#6 Stax

Stax

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 334 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 07:28 PM

He would have been great. DOWNFALL was an amazing film. More like an "end of the world" movie than a straightforward WW2 drama. He was great in it, too. I sure hope they come back to him for another role down the line. He reminds me a bit of Henry De Silva

#7 o07hmss

o07hmss

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 36 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 07:52 PM

I love this actor! Though this is the creepiest pic they could ever choose of him! As Goebbels he was realy great in 'Der Untergang' ('The Downfall'). And for CR: I'm used to Mikkelsen now. Mikkelsen is LeChiffre. And Craig is Bond.

#8 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 07:55 PM

That guy looks more than a little cuckoo.

#9 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 09:26 PM

I imagined Le Chiffre looking a bit more refined than that.

#10 WC

WC

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1415 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 10:50 PM

Agreed. In fact, I always pictured Le Chiffre as a sort of Drax type. Cultured, refined - practically a villain unto himself.

#11 killkenny kid

killkenny kid

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6607 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 10:57 PM

Agreed. In fact, I always pictured Le Chiffre as a sort of Drax type. Cultured, refined - practically a villain unto himself.

same here.

#12 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 12:10 AM

Haven't seen much with this actor, but I think he definitely looks the part for a Bond villain. Perhaps in a future film.

#13 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 12:29 AM

I had a feeling a while ago that, if they were going to cast a German villain or henchman, they might want to get someone from the 'Downfall'cast, as it was a German movie that had some international attention. Even gave Matthes a thought, but there's something I just don't like about him as an actor - but have to admit that I didn't see him in that many films, even though he does a lot of TV work (like every German actor).
Glad we ended up with Mikkelsen.

#14 007forever

007forever

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 01:54 AM

Enough said....simply put, CR is not as important for him as his theatre project...

God, i can not accept that CR was a baby that no one wanted....that's why you got all these 2nd grade actors and actress.....

Don't get me wrong, i still have 100% faith in it....just not the way i would have liked...

#15 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 02:26 AM

This actor looks like he could have made a very good Le Chiffre. Perhaps EON will be able to get him for a future Bond film.

#16 MrDraco

MrDraco

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 05:25 AM

Meth (Cough) Meth lol i'm kidding though he looks like he gets really really good X...:tup:

#17 db077

db077

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 05:37 AM

God, i can not accept that CR was a baby that no one wanted....that's why you got all these 2nd grade actors and actress.....

I would hardly consider Craig or Mikkelsen 2nd grade actors!

And I don't think your faith will be misplaced. I am really looking forward to this movie and can't wait until November!

Edited by db077, 23 March 2006 - 05:37 AM.

#18 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 06:26 AM

Enough said....simply put, CR is not as important for him as his theatre project...

No, I don't think he looked at CR as "not as important". If he has signed a contract, he can't get out of it just for the fun of being in a Bond movie. For one thing, he'd have to pay a considerable penalty for breaching the contract. And then, arguably even more serious, such a move would damage his reputation as being a reliable part in any production. After all, nobody wants to work with an actor who is known for backing out of an engagement. It was the same reason Brosnan couldn't take over the first time he was approached. Even if money wasn't an item here (and it certainly is, not that many actors have enough funds to risk being sued for breaking of a contract) most actors would avoid stepping out on a production without the ok of their producers. After all, they want to be cast again in the future. I'm sure Matthes would have loved to take the chance with CR but in showbizz one just has to live with missed chances too.

#19 Dr. Noah

Dr. Noah

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1405 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 07:04 AM

No, I don't think he looked at CR as "not as important". If he has signed a contract, he can't get out of it just for the fun of being in a Bond movie. For one thing, he'd have to pay a considerable penalty for breaching the contract. And then, arguably even more serious, such a move would damage his reputation as being a reliable part in any production. After all, nobody wants to work with an actor who is known for backing out of an engagement. It was the same reason Brosnan couldn't take over the first time he was approached. Even if money wasn't an item here (and it certainly is, not that many actors have enough funds to risk being sued for breaking of a contract) most actors would avoid stepping out on a production without the ok of their producers. After all, they want to be cast again in the future. I'm sure Matthes would have loved to take the chance with CR but in showbizz one just has to live with missed chances too.

Hey, supposedly the first time they approached Dalton for TLD he had a theatrical commitment, too.

#20 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 08:25 AM

Clearly they had a clear idea of what they wanted... I some similarities between Ulrich and Mads.

#21 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 01:23 PM

Clearly they had a clear idea of what they wanted... I some similarities between Ulrich and Mads.

In fact I find Mikkelsen to look very much like a younger version of the same type (and maybe not as fataly ill as Matthes can look at times). To me Mikkelsen comes a bit closer to my idea of what LeChiffre would look like today. In the book he is more or less a mix of the late Aleister Crowley and the Gerd Fr

#22 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 01:30 PM

Matthes would have been a great LeChiffre. But Mikkelsen will be just as good. And obviously Matthes refusal wasn

#23 Forever007

Forever007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 469 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 01:57 PM

He defintely looks like someone up to no good. However, he looks like a one punch minute steak for 007. I'm happy with who EON chose as he looks like a more formidable opponent.

#24 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 09:19 AM

[quote name='SecretAgentFan' post='535910' date='23 March 2006 - 13:30']Matthes would have been a great LeChiffre. But Mikkelsen will be just as good. And obviously Matthes refusal wasn

#25 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 11:14 AM

He looks like Johnny Rotten.

#26 Publius

Publius

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3225 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 03:43 AM

He'd make a great Largo-type villain from The Organization. Maybe even first in command.

#27 Flash1087

Flash1087

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1070 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 07:57 AM

I could see him as a Largo type. As frightening looking as he is, I can't see him as the head of The Organization (or even LeChiffre, who demands a certain kind of class in his appearance), but if he were to play some kind of unbalanced assassin, or maybe a Largo-esq gun-for-hire brought in on some mad scheme, he'd be perfect.