25 replies to this topic

#1 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 12:02 AM

Empire Magazine said the pre-title sequence is going to be in black and white, right? Perhaps the audience sees the scene from the perspective of a black and white security camera? Maybe M's watching so that she can determine whether James Bond deserves his licence to kill? Or maybe the facilities just simply have security cameras. What do you think about this? I hope this possible scenario hasn't been mentioned before...

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1274 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 12:15 AM

I don't like it much and don't think it will happen, it would restrict what we see and wouldn't make much sense considering that supposedly an element of color comes into it.

#3 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 12:52 AM

I have a suspicion the PTS or gunbarrel might involve a security camera, but I doubt the entire PTS would consist of CCTV footage. It might be kind of interesting, but it would get old after about a minute.

Having said that, I really have no idea what the PTS will look like, or even whether it will happen before or after the gunbarrel. I suppose anything could happen.

#4 uvhadyrsix

uvhadyrsix

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 96 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 12:55 AM

G'day I think its a bad move to go black & white does that mean all those colour pictures we have seen of the chase. The ones they have teased us with won't be seen in colour, if so thats crazy. What is Campbell thinking?

#5 dunmall

dunmall

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 01:04 AM

still photos from movie sets are used for publicity they aren't actually taken directly from film footage

#6 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 01:23 AM

G'day I think its a bad move to go black & white does that mean all those colour pictures we have seen of the chase. The ones they have teased us with won't be seen in colour, if so thats crazy. What is Campbell thinking?

That chase is *not* from the pre-title sequence. It's from a sequence after the main titles.

The pre-title sequence is just Bond completing the two assassinations for his double-o license, one clean and simple (an MI6 station head) and one very messy (a fight in a bathroom with a contact in Pakistan).

I have a suspicion the PTS or gunbarrel might involve a security camera, but I doubt the entire PTS would consist of CCTV footage. It might be kind of interesting, but it would get old after about a minute.

I doubt it, considering CCTV footage of Bond killing a terrorist plays a large role later in the film. It'd be too repetitive.

#7 Fro

Fro

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 01:52 AM

I'm quite confident it's in B&W because

- The scenes will be shot in film noir style

- It is "hip" to do right now (see Sin City, Kill Bill)

- It will be a unique opening for the franchise

- To show the audience this took place before the rest of the movie

- Perhaps the violence of one of the killings would get a "R" rating in color

http://www.filmsite.org/filmnoir.html

The earliest film noirs were detective thrillers, with plots and themes often taken from adaptations of literary works - preferably from best-selling, hard-boiled, pulp novels and crime fiction by Raymond Chandler, James M. Cain, Dashiell Hammett, or Cornell Woolrich. Very often, a film noir story was developed around a cynical, hard-hearted, disillusioned male character [e.g., Robert Mitchum, Fred MacMurray, or Humphrey Bogart] who encountered a beautiful but promiscuous, amoral, double-dealing and seductive femme fatale [e.g., Mary Astor, Veronica Lake, Jane Greer, Barbara Stanwyck, or Lana Turner]. She would use her feminine wiles and come-hither sexuality to manipulate him into becoming the fall guy - often following a murder. After a betrayal or double-cross, she was frequently destroyed as well, often at the cost of the hero's life.

Film Noir was obviously a big inspiration for the original novel, so a nod to it in the pretitle sequence makes a ton of sense. I'd guess if the book was filmed in the 1950s, it would have been a film noir. It's a stunning choice to use in the PTS. You even get some foreshadowing out of it that the film buffs will really appreciate.

Edited by Fro, 17 March 2006 - 02:00 AM.

#8 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 02:27 AM

- It will be a unique opening for the franchise

That seems to be one of the most plausible reasons to me.

#9 bondrocks14

bondrocks14

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 300 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 03:05 AM

I think black and white will be overdoing it a little too much.

#10 Andrew

Andrew

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1274 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 03:11 AM

I think black and white will be overdoing it a little too much.

I think shooting the whole thing in black and white would be a little too much(for a OO7 film, I don't have much of a problem otherwise) but the PTS? Great idea in my book!

#11 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 03:14 AM

I doubt they're making the PTS in black and white because they feel like it. There's probably a feasible reason why they're doing it that way.

#12 SecretAgent007

SecretAgent007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 05:22 AM

I'm of the opinion that it will be used to distinguish time, as in Assassins.

#13 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 05:29 AM

I don't know... The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of a film noir PTS. It would be an excellent tribute to the mood of the novel.

#14 bondrocks14

bondrocks14

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 300 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 05:34 AM

Black and white will either be awesome or a sheer dissapointment.

#15 Monsieur B

Monsieur B

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 06:18 PM

Ah, they're just trying to be artsy-fartsy. Nonetheless, I think that Bond will work in B&W, it would amplify the darkness and grittiness of the 00 prerequesite kills. Has anyone watched the 60s Bond films in B&W? They're entirely different movies -- for the better, of course. I believe Jim made that suggestion in a thread ages ago and that's what made me try it.

Edited by Monsieur B, 17 March 2006 - 06:19 PM.

#16 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 06:27 PM

#17 Monsieur B

Monsieur B

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 06:30 PM

What will the reaction be of the people who really matter when it comes to the Bond movies - the general audience?

Throw their hands up in the air screaming and run out of the theater to riot in the streets.

#18 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 06:31 PM

#19 Monsieur B

Monsieur B

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 06:32 PM

[quote name='JimmyBond' post='533688' date='17 March 2006 - 13:31']

#20 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 06:49 PM

Black and white will either be awesome or a sheer dissapointment.

[mra]What no

#21 Diabolik

Diabolik

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 235 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 07:18 PM

In theory, I like the idea of hiring "A" list directors and letting them give each film that director's unique visual style.

That said, Campbell is just a hired gun (excuse the pun) and seems to mouth off what ever he wants to, but Babs and Uncle Mike are going to do what they see fit. Half of the comments Campbell has made in the last few months seem to be just what he invisions and not "The Brocollis." They are making it clear in their new interviews "how it's going to be."

My guess is that they will try the b&w approach in the PTS and do test screenings to see how audiences will react to it. My bet is that they take the same approach to the infamous torture scene.

If they test audiences are turned off by it, they'll go color for the PTS and tone down the torture scene.

But, I guess we'll have to wait and see...

#22 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 08:25 PM

If they test audiences are turned off by it, they'll go color for the PTS and tone down the torture scene.

If they were going to keep it in or not based on the whims of a test audience, then they wouldnt have let the press hear about it. Now everyone who's read the article will be hoping for black and white pretitles, if they change them people might be upset.

Besides, isnt it harder to switch to color if you filmed in black and white? Everything being filmed for the pretitles is being set up with black and white in mind. If they changed to color then that would be very bad.

#23 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 08:36 PM

I'm sure the PTS is being shot in color precisely because it's a lot easier to change color to B&W than vice-versa (though Turner proved it possible)

#24 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 08:38 PM

If they were going to keep it in or not based on the whims of a test audience, then they wouldnt have let the press hear about it. Now everyone who's read the article will be hoping for black and white pretitles, if they change them people might be upset.

Besides, isnt it harder to switch to color if you filmed in black and white? Everything being filmed for the pretitles is being set up with black and white in mind. If they changed to color then that would be very bad.

[mra]I don

#25 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 11:24 PM

My point is, they pick certain colors because they photograph well in black and white. Take the tv show "Car 54 where are you?" for instance. The police cars used were actually painted green and white, because green photographed well (and also because they couldnt use cars that were similar to real police cars).

#26 morganhavoc

morganhavoc

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 219 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 06:25 PM

Using black and white makes it easier to superimpose Craig's head on Connery,Moore,Dalton and Brosnan's body to show previous missions...

And before the flaming starts....I'm joking