6 replies to this topic

#1 Ry

Ry

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 29 May 2002 - 05:34 PM

Didn't have a chance to post this the other day on Fleming's birthday, but here it is a day late. I have a book called "Movie a Day" and Monday they did A View to a Kill because it was the anniverary of the dedication to the Golden Gate Bridge. Yesterday was as follows: May 28 "Enjoy a Little Bondage"
"James Bond's creator was born on this day in England, in 1908. The name was Fleming. Ian Fleming. As a young man he worked for the British Intelligence, mostly pushing paper-but he did pick up comsiderable inside information and lingo. He wrote the children's classic Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, but Ian Fleming will be best remembered for creating the preeminent fictious superspy icon of the cold war, who lasted well beyond the collapse of teh Soviet Union: Bond, James Bond. And like his creation, Fleming preferred his martinis shaken, not stirred.
Fleming lived to see the film version of only one of his Bond stories, Dr. No. (Correction he was alive for From Russia with Love and some of the filming of Goldfinger, but not the release). It became JKF's favorite movie. In Bond films to come, the stories the gadgets and the girls got campier. But Dr. No is played fairly straight and is all the more effective for it. Other Bond adventures would be bigger and noiser, but this is the closest the series ever came to capturing the essence of Fleming's conception of the suave superspy. Sit back, sip a martini-shaken, not stirred- and enjoy James Bond before he became a camp culture icon."

*Note: Please remember that this is froma book and is the views and belief of the author not the one writing the email. Hope you enjoy this -- thought it was cool.

#2 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 30 May 2002 - 02:32 AM

Another correction: Kennedy's favourite book was From Russia With Love, not Dr. No. :)

#3 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 30 May 2002 - 08:38 PM

WOW, my birthday's a day before Fleming's. If only I was born a day later damnit!

Oh well I still share a birth date with Lee Sharpe and Henry Kissinger.....man that sucks!

#4 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 30 May 2002 - 08:39 PM

Double-Oh-Post.

#5 Ry

Ry

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 30 May 2002 - 09:34 PM

Koskov...Apparently according to the entry in the book Dr. No became JFK's favorite movie and From Russia with Love was on his top ten book list. I had never heard that Dr. No was his favorite film, but there you are.

#6 mrmoon

mrmoon

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 30 May 2002 - 09:38 PM

Tanger (30 May, 2002 09:38 p.m.):
WOW, my birthday's a day before Fleming's. If only I was born a day later damnit!

Oh well I still share a birth date with Lee Sharpe and Henry Kissinger.....man that sucks!

I share mine with Elvis Presley, and Shirley Bassey - :) groovy

#7 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 30 May 2002 - 10:11 PM

I share my birthbay with Ireland's independance day. Stupid republicans. :)