21 replies to this topic

#1 Nicolas Suszczyk

Nicolas Suszczyk

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3735 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 04:57 PM

... that in Tomb Raider Daniel is acredited in 5th place and in Munich he's acredited in 2nd place, after Eric Bana, the star.

Do you think this is because of Bond ?

#2 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 05:01 PM

Sometimes credits run by who showed up in the film first, second, third, etc. When you talk about contractual credits you have to look at the poster. Who's name[s] are on the posters. I really doubt that Bond had anything to do with him being second on the credits in Munich.

#3 Nicolas Suszczyk

Nicolas Suszczyk

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3735 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 05:16 PM

Here's the proof (from Imdb):

TOMB RAIDER:

Angelina Jolie .... Lara Croft
Jon Voight .... Lord Richard Croft
Iain Glen .... Manfred Powell
Noah Taylor .... Bryce
Daniel Craig .... Alex West
Richard Johnson .... Distinguished Gentleman
Chris Barrie .... Hillary (as Christopher Barrie)
Julian Rhind-Tutt .... Mr. Pimms
Leslie Phillips .... Wilson
Robert Phillips .... Julius, Assault Team Leader

MUNICH:

Eric Bana .... Avner
Daniel Craig .... Steve
Ciar

#4 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 05:22 PM

Are we sure that IMDb lists the credits in the order that they're rolled at the end of a film? I'm not sure. But I wasn't doubting you, Nicolas.

I just don't think it has anything to do with Bond. I haven't actually seen Tomb Rader or Munch so I don't know how much Craig was featured in those films, but credit listings usually start off with star names who are main characters (sometimes alphabetically) in the film and then continue either alphabetically or by who showed up in the film first.

#5 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 05:29 PM

The first six actors in Munich are in alphabetical order by last name.

#6 Nicolas Suszczyk

Nicolas Suszczyk

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3735 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 05:32 PM

In imdb says "Cast in credits order"

I saw both films... I was discussing this with a friend of mine this... and he told me that they ascend him because of Bond... Two days ago I saw Tomb Raider for the first time after Craig's Choice and I noticed that.

#7 Scottlee

Scottlee

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2592 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 06:23 PM

Craig's role in Tomb Raider is much bigger than Voight's, who comes in 2nd on those credits. The starter post does have a point.

#8 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 06:31 PM

Craig's role in Tomb Raider is much bigger than Voight's, who comes in 2nd on those credits.

That's when you get into contractual credits.

#9 Niwram

Niwram

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 368 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 07:03 PM

His name IS the second one on the posters.

#10 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 08:01 PM

... that in Tomb Raider Daniel is acredited in 5th place and in Munich he's acredited in 2nd place, after Eric Bana, the star.

Do you think this is because of Bond ?

Munich was made before he was Bond, so...No.

#11 WC

WC

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1415 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 08:21 PM

Who knows. If you watch the X-Men movies, you get some odd credits there. In the first film, sometimes Patrick Stewart is listed first with Hugh Jackman after him. If you watch the end credits though, first off it shows the names in big (like at the start of a film) and has Stewart's name followed by Jackman's. But then when they roll like typical end credits, it has Jackman's first followed by Stewart's.

In X-Men2 though I think it's consistently Stewart's at the top of the credits.

I'm surprised Halle Berry didn't get top billing in DAD though, above Brosnan. :tup:

#12 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 05:38 AM

I'm surprised Halle Berry didn't get top billing in DAD though, above Brosnan. :tup:

She got above the title billing. Some speculated if the opening credits would read:

Pierce Brosnan as Ian Fleming's James Bond 007 and Halle Berry
in Die Another Day

#13 WC

WC

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1415 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 06:51 AM

She got above the title billing. Some speculated if the opening credits would read:

Pierce Brosnan as Ian Fleming's James Bond 007 and Halle Berry
in Die Another Day

What, Brosnan played two roles in that film? Both Bond and Halle Berry?

Brings a new meaning to You Only Live Twice. :D

#14 Nicolas Suszczyk

Nicolas Suszczyk

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3735 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 06:13 PM

What's a contractual credit ?

#15 Mr Malcolm

Mr Malcolm

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 07:13 PM

What's a contractual credit ?

It's when an actor gets it written into their contract that they'll get credited in a certain position in both the in-film credits, and promotional material.

#16 MooreisMore

MooreisMore

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 08:01 PM

*remembers Jack Nicholson getting credited above Michael Keaton in the opening/closing/all credits in Batman*

Edited by MooreisMore, 13 March 2006 - 08:01 PM.

#17 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 08:23 PM

*remembers Jack Nicholson getting credited above Michael Keaton in the opening/closing/all credits in Batman*

That seems to be a bit of a trend in the Batman films. If I remember correctly, Schwarzenegger had his name billed ahead of Clooney in Batman & Robin. (It was on the poster, anyway, but I'm not sure about the end credits).

#18 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 09:24 AM

I believe in the case of Munich, it was simply a case of the major cast members being listed alphabetically.

#19 Nicolas Suszczyk

Nicolas Suszczyk

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3735 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 08:33 PM

Thanks

#20 dunmall

dunmall

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 01:43 AM

That seems to be a bit of a trend in the Batman films. If I remember correctly, Schwarzenegger had his name billed ahead of Clooney in Batman & Robin. (It was on the poster, anyway, but I'm not sure about the end credits).

Yup Arnie is first on posters, opening titles and end titles, ditto Brando for his what 13 minute long performance (worth about $7 mil apparently) in Superman. Top billing both opening and closing... not too mention Hackman got before good old Christopher as well. Ahhh the privillages of being a Hollywood legend or superstar...

I have not seen Tomb Raider or Munich, but I was under the impression from reading reviews of Munich that Craig is the second or third main character, so why shouldnt he be listed second?

Also the films are 5 years apart Craig could be considered a bit more bankable these days... (just as George Cloony would almost certainly be listed first on a film's cast list nowadays, especially if he's playing the title character or lead)

#21 Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 119 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 07:27 PM

For Munich, I'd say the first 5 characters seem to be in the order of how much screen time they have (I've seen the movie and remember which ones had how much screen time). I think it's just a coincidence that they happen to be alphabetical. In the movie's credits, Craig did come in 2nd after Bana BTW.

Edited by Arch Stanton, 06 April 2006 - 07:29 PM.

#22 Donovan

Donovan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 02:34 AM

Same goes for Superman 1, 2 and "5". In fact, Christopher Reeve got third billing for the first film behind Brando and Hackman.