12 replies to this topic

#1 medrecess

medrecess

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 487 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 03:55 PM

Today i saw Elizabeth after a long time.I was surprised when i saw Craig as i had not expected him in that film.

But,what a performance by the man.

He is really outstanding in that small part.

Check out his screen presence in that scene when he emerges from the boat and they close in on his face.

The scene where he beats the guy to death with a stone shows how he can handle hand to hand combat.

Height is a trivial issue for me and for you too hopefully.

#2 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 04:25 PM

And he was great in Layer Cake, too.

Can't wait for Munich to come out on DVD.

I just wish these idiots who have never seen him act watch what he has been in, it changed my mind about Craig and it will change theirs as well.

#3 Mr_Wint

Mr_Wint

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2406 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 05:13 PM

I just wish these idiots who have never seen him act watch what he has been in, it changed my mind about Craig and it will change theirs as well.

I'm still waiting to be convinced. I've seen Layer Cake, Road to Perdition and Tomb Raider and so far I would describe Craig as too cold and too energetic for the role of James Bond or as a leading man in any action feast. I'm sure Craig can handle hand-to-hand combat but he lacks the essential combination between danger, irony and coolness that makes a character/hero lovable, IMO. But of course, the final (and real!) judgement is still waiting until november.

At the moment I'm looking forward to Archangel, as I just ordered it :tup:

#4 Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 05:13 PM

Check out his screen presence in that scene when he emerges from the boat and they close in on his face.

Yes, that close-up is riveting.

Fun detail of that recent Variety article is that Sony's Amy Pascal has apparently 'fallen in love' with Craig as well, and seeks to cast him in another big Sony / Columbia release. Perhaps Curtis Hanson's The Crimson Petal and White, which is set in 1860s London? Or maybe a villain in Hellboy 2? He won't be ready in time for Emmerich's 10.000 B.C.- a casting decision that would certainly be grist to the mill of his detractors.

#5 medrecess

medrecess

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 487 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 02:10 AM

If an actor can make an impression in a small but significant role,he sure has the potential as a main actor.

#6 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 07:32 PM

Wouldnt it be a blow to Brosnan if Sony cast him in Thomas Crown Affair 2?

#7 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 07:47 PM

Wouldnt it be a blow to Brosnan if Sony cast him in Thomas Crown Affair 2?

LOL! Considering his resemblance to Steve McQueen, perhaps they will.

Nah. Is that film even going to get made?

#8 bonded56

bonded56

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 410 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 08:31 PM

I see that in the UK BBC1 is going to show ARCHANGEL on March 19 and 26 (a two parter).

#9 krypt

krypt

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 320 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 05:49 AM

I thought Craig looked like the most dangerous man alive in "Elizabeth." Brilliant.

#10 Blue07

Blue07

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 288 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 10:04 AM

And he was great in Layer Cake, too.

Can't wait for Munich to come out on DVD.

I've seen a lot of his films and TV programs - hasn't changed my mind. Being a decent enough actor doesn't neccesarily mean you would make a good Bond.

Edited by Lappaman, 08 March 2006 - 10:05 AM.

#11 medrecess

medrecess

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 487 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 12:25 PM

And who can say that Pierce was a great actor ?

A great looking man ,definitely but an above average actor who looked comfortable only as a sauve leading man.

#12 Blue07

Blue07

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 288 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 01:06 PM

And who can say that Pierce was a great actor ?

A great looking man ,definitely but an above average actor who looked comfortable only as a sauve leading man.

While I may think Pierce is a great actor I can understand why others don't rate him as highly, I don't think his choice of films pre-Bond has necessarily been great wheras Craig has done some very good work. However whilst many state Craig is a great actor (and I think he is) I don't see how that means he will definately be a great Bond. Yes you need a good actor but you also need other quality's too - an actor who can play a suave leading man for instance. :tup:

Edited by Lappaman, 08 March 2006 - 01:07 PM.

#13 Bring Back Valentin

Bring Back Valentin

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 03:30 PM

I just got around to seeing Layer Cake the other day. Up until now, I had only seen Craig in Tomb Raider and barely remember him from Road to Perdition.

Wow, what a performance. Craig will be great as Bond, I just know it. For those wanting the second coming of Sean Connery, here he is. All they need to do is give him a "Shcotiish acchent" and he could re-make Dr No!