Doctor No and Attack of the Clones

14 replies to this topic

#1 Stringfellow

Stringfellow

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 May 2002 - 02:32 PM

Dr. Shatterhand's Botanical Garden has posted an interesting point-of-view. Did George Lucas ripoff Ian Fleming in his latest episode of Star Wars?

Check it out at www.geocities.com/shatterhand01

and see if you agree.

#2 Hardyboy

Hardyboy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 472 posts

Posted 22 May 2002 - 01:44 AM

I saw AOTC this afternoon. I knew of the "millipede" sequence ahead of time, but on viewing it I don't think it was like the scene in Dr. No--there were two bugs, Natalie Portman was supposed to be sound asleep during the whole time, and they were dispatched by skillful lightsabrery. However, I did think that the scene where the assassin dies before revealing the name of who she works for was a bit like Dr. No; and especially the chase through Coruscant had some Bondian elements. . .Anakin hanging off of flying vehicles ala AVTAK, landing on top of a vehicle and cutting through the top as in Living Daylights (come to think of it, Spider-Man has a similar scene). . .and especially the moment when Obi-Wan Kenobi's ship is tracked by a heatseeking missile bears more than a whiff of Octopussy about it. Then again, just about every time I see an action movie nowadays I see at least one scene that had been done before in a Bond film.

#3 ray t

ray t

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1394 posts

Posted 22 May 2002 - 01:59 AM

George Lucas has admittedly "beg, borrowed, and stolen" from a great deal of movie history. To have done so from the Eon productions of Fleming's hero is hardly a surprise

Immitation is, after all, the highest form of flattery!

By the way, that poison "millipeeds" sceen and the ensuing pursuit of the changeling assasin in the bar with the "death sticks" pusher were pure movie magic.

i also thought Obi-wan's fight with Jango Fett (with his son Boba helping out from their ship) on the launch pad at the clone station was FANTASTIC!

too bad about Haden Christensen's delivery of some rather mediocre dialogue.

These days Bond may be behind Star Wars in certain elements, but when it comes to witty and memorable dialogue, beautiful and sexy women, double entendres, fast gadget laden cars, "adult situations", and real world stunts and action sequences, OO7 has definitely got the upper hand.

Yes, now that ive seen Spidey and Star Wars a couple of times each, its time to bring on the Greatest Hero of the Greatest Franchise ever....ROLL ON NOVEMBER 22nd! :) :)

#4 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 22 May 2002 - 06:07 AM

A difference between Dr No and Star Wars II is that the folks in Dr No can act.

#5 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 22 May 2002 - 06:43 AM

Very harsh Jim, and I'd say unwarranted. Ewan McGregor, Samuel L Jackson, Ian McDirmiad and Natalie Portman are all excellent actors.

#6 Stringfellow

Stringfellow

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 May 2002 - 08:05 PM

Both Spiderman and AOTC were very entertaining. I personally enjoyed AOTC better than Spiderman. Personal reason, Christopher Lee. He practically steals the movie when he makes his appearence. It was great seeing him in a major role again playing a cool, cunning villain.

Spiderman had some nice surprises, but since they kept to the original story, it did not provide me with a 'WOW' feeling when I left the theater. Both have fantastic effects and both delivered a pleasing movie experience.

Now, I agree with the dialogue in AOTC. Lucas can't write dialogue. This is where the Bond films have always been superior. The writers would be inventive and witty.

#7 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 22 May 2002 - 09:35 PM

Blue Eyes (22 May, 2002 07:43 a.m.):
Very harsh Jim, and I'd say unwarranted. Ewan McGregor, Samuel L Jackson, Ian McDirmiad and Natalie Portman are all excellent actors.

Yeppy-do, but not when they're in that twaddle. Ill-served, all of them.

You missed out Christopher Lee; the only one who didn't appear to be taking the rancid guff he had to speak too seriously.

Dare I say I preferred The Phantom Menace?

#8 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 22 May 2002 - 10:25 PM

Dare you say that? Honestly? Is that possible? I think Jim just walked into a minority group, a very small minority group. In all honesty, you're the first I've ever heard say that.

But yes I do agree with you, those actors are better in other films. But I think they don't do too bad a job in Star Wars considering they're acting to nothing, namely blue screens.

#9 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 23 May 2002 - 06:50 AM

Without this turning into a Phantom Menace board, I preferred that film to AOTC because it's the most glorious example of someone giving the finger. All those obsessed lunatics who know Chewbacca's middle name forced to watch a film about taxation, forced to watch a film where their drivel about The Force being some sort of religion is exposed by it being a blood complaint, a film dominated by an utterly artificial character, a film which introduces the world to the concept of the elected queen.

Assuming all this was deliberate, George Lucas is a genius. Make the most unexpected film possible, and ensure that folks see it too see how "bad" it is. Puts those who have (for whatever reason, usually emptiness of soul) devoted their "lives" to this nonsense, back into their boxes. If that didn't make them review their existences, nothing else would. A stroke of brilliance.

Unfortunately, the new film doesn't continue this revolutionary zeal, and seems to be about jeddie again, or whatever they're called.

The Phantom Menace: a fantastically mean-spirited [cuss]-take. Great.

#10 ray t

ray t

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1394 posts

Posted 24 May 2002 - 04:21 AM

Jim, you certainly have a way with words!
:)
i couldnt stop chuckling at your take on TPM...brilliant....absolutely brilliant!

i'm still smiling...its made my hour!... ;)

now...whats your take on the sub-text of THE HILDERBRAND RARITY?

P.S.

Jim...i know the real reason why you have a preferrence for Dr No vis-a-vis Episode 2...

....its because of your desire of wanting to be at Dunns River Falls every weekend and singing Underneath The Mango Tree every time some hot babe with a diving knife at her side rises outta the Jamaican surf with a conch shell or two...am i right? :)

#11 ray t

ray t

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1394 posts

Posted 24 May 2002 - 04:33 AM

.oops

#12 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 24 May 2002 - 06:23 AM

look at this way, Obi-Wan Kenobi is like Bond, the Jedi are like the double ohs....his quest is very James Bond, track the bounty hunter, stop the ultimate plan, get trapped, have a big fight....interesting parallels...

#13 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 24 May 2002 - 06:24 AM

ray t (24 May, 2002 05:30 a.m.):

....its because of your desire of wanting to be at Dunns River Falls every weekend and singing Underneath The Mango Tree every time some hot babe with a diving knife at her side rises outta the Jamaican surf with a conch shell or two...am i right? :)

Happens all the time

#14 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 21 May 2002 - 12:31 AM

Ah yes of course there is that comparison. The millipede (or saklak spawn as I believe it is in AOTC) in the bed to assassinate a hero. In Dr No it's Bond and in AOTC it's Amidala.

But there are other comparisons.

I can't remember the security officers main words but he says something like "Her Majesty's Security Service".

There are others, I'll have to think about it. But I did count a few.

#15 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 21 May 2002 - 11:16 PM

I didn't think much of AOTC. It was a sort of a been there, done that, came back and made a film about it sort of experience.
The best bit was the Dooku/Yoda saber fight. I like the way Yoda took Dooku's power, and then used it so that he could jump and summersault everywhere. The best lightsaber fight in the film I think and possibly the best overall part.