This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

How many 'Licence Renewed' large prints are there?

6 replies to this topic

#1 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 10:04 PM

This is a copy I have, (G.K. Hall, 1981, hardback) but it seems that there amy be other editions. Does anyone know? Zencat?

Attached Files

#2 addyb

addyb

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 04:01 PM

When I first read License Renewed, it was a large print from my public library. But that was years ago. As of late, I've picked up quite a few Gardners in soft cover from used book stores in Nanaimo's downtown core.

I really enjoyed it as a book, and there's only really one thing that puts me off about it. Bonds age. I've never been able to figure out if he's in his 40's or if he's a 58 year old Roger Moore of AVTAK. And the thought of an old James Bond sickens me, I don't know why, but the thought of an aging superspy just makes my stomach churn.

This one paragraph really does that for me: Page 21, Coronet soft cover edition:

"Minute flecks of grey had just started to show in the hair, which still retained it's boyish black comma above the right eye. As yet, no plumpness had appeared around the jowls, and the line of the jaw was as straight and firm as ever. It was the face of an attractive buccaneer, Miss Moneypenny thought..."

Grey hair? Plumpness? Jowls? What the hell was Gardner thinking? That sure sounds like a 58 year old AVTAK aging superspy!

(Other than that, it's a fine novel, and Gardner made a superb entry into his continuation novels for the cannon)

Adam

Edited by addyb, 23 February 2006 - 04:02 PM.

#3 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 05:43 PM

This is a copy I have, (G.K. Hall, 1981, hardback) but it seems that there amy be other editions. Does anyone know? Zencat?

There was one released by Compress Press in the UK in 2001. The GK Hall and the Compress Press are the only two I know of, but there could be more. You never know with large prints.

#4 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 08:28 PM

There was one released by Compress Press in the UK in 2001. The GK Hall and the Compress Press are the only two I know of, but there could be more. You never know with large prints.

Hmm, is the Compress Press one softcover, and kind of purple-ish?

#5 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 08:37 PM

Hmm, is the Compress Press one softcover, and kind of purple-ish?

Yes. Here's a pic.

Attached Files

#6 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 08:38 PM

Ah, thanks! Will need to find that one.

#7 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 04:51 AM

Finally got it figured out:

Licence Renewed: Chivers Press Hardback (UK)

Licence Renewed: ISIS/Compress Press Hardback (UK)

Licence Renewed: ISIS/Compress Press Paperback (UK)

Licence Renewed: G.K. Hall Hardback (US)